Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

6 minutes ago, Holloway said:

I know he's a mackem but was a true beast in the air. Alright then, take Ronaldo, he could outjump the likes of Crouchy

It was more the fact he must have been retired for 25 years, than Sunderland link (think he was with us longer than with them btw) and with all due respect to his ‘aerial prowess’, there have been many better than him since. Though if you’d said Wyn Davies then fair enough! 😂 

Spoiler

DCA78A6F-50BB-4FBB-ACF9-C84D7321A1D2.thumb.jpeg.97b2309d66c760843e91a057995e2de2.jpeg

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

It was more the fact he must have been retired for 25 years, than Sunderland link (think he was with us longer than with them btw) and with all due respect to his ‘aerial prowess’, there have been many better than him since. Though if you’d said Wyn Davies then fair enough! 😂 

Hide contents

DCA78A6F-50BB-4FBB-ACF9-C84D7321A1D2.thumb.jpeg.97b2309d66c760843e91a057995e2de2.jpeg

one of my favourite pics, and I had the pleasure of watching him live for a few games

Had a couple of days to calm down, here is my take on saturday:

Target and Burn were very pedestrian in their passing and moving into space positions which opened in front of them. target had a poor game overall, hardly got up the pitch and seemed shaky defensively.

I think Botman would have been better for this game when the team in front plays a mid-low block. His passing is also quicker and more precise than dan´s.

Bruno was totally off the pace for me, can´t replace him but just hope he gets back on it in a couple  of weeks time.

Big Joe was also off the pace and everything he tried seemed to fizzle out and even his tackling heading wasn´t great.

Joe willock played his heart out and for me deserved more out of the game. he perhaps isn´t the creative outlet we all desire but his pressing, forward runs into space and on the ball play on saturday were top level.

having said the above, and with not much help from the overlapping (or not) full backs, we were very pedestrian!

Add to this miggy and fraser who tried hard, but aren´t top six level, then we get what we deserved... basically no threat on goal.

Feel sorry for Isak, no service at all.

We were very ordinary on staurday against a very ordinary Bournemouth!

The last 20 mins saw the panick set in and silly long balls and shots from the halfway line. Not good.

Though Eddie´s subs were crap. it should have been Woods isak and anderson up front (all at once). We are two or three good windows away from being a real threat to the top seven.

On current form I think we will be happy with top half this year.

Maxi, come on mate, get fit soon!!!

10 minutes ago, buzza said:

Target and Burn were very pedestrian in their passing and moving into space positions which opened in front of them. target had a poor game overall, hardly got up the pitch and seemed shaky defensively.

I think Botman would have been better for this game when the team in front plays a mid-low block. His passing is also quicker and more precise than dan´s.

Bruno was totally off the pace for me, can´t replace him but just hope he gets back on it in a couple  of weeks time.

Big Joe was also off the pace and everything he tried seemed to fizzle out and even his tackling heading wasn´t great.

Joe willock played his heart out and for me deserved more out of the game. he perhaps isn´t the creative outlet we all desire but his pressing, forward runs into space and on the ball play on saturday were top level.

having said the above, and with not much help from the overlapping (or not) full backs, we were very pedestrian!

Add to this miggy and fraser who tried hard, but aren´t top six level, then we get what we deserved... basically no threat on goal.

The last 20 mins saw the panick set in and silly long balls and shots from the halfway line. Not good.

Though Eddie´s subs were crap. it should have been Woods isak and anderson up front (all at once). We are two or three good windows away from being a real threat to the top seven.

Anderson wasn’t on the bench. Unfortunately, as it could have been a game for him to impose himself/make the difference. 

Makes it all the more obvious that we have a first eleven (ten tbh) who are top seven material, but even one injury really affects the team...

Two injuries and we are pretty ordinary, great fighters and defensively sound but without the bite needed up front

4 minutes ago, buzza said:

Makes it all the more obvious that we have a first eleven (ten tbh) who are top seven material, but even one injury really affects the team...

Two injuries and we are pretty ordinary, great fighters and defensively sound but without the bite needed up front

I think its in the middle where we are struggling, no-one with the creativity needed to play against 10 men behind the ball 

Would it have been possible to play the ball from side to side say 20, 30 yards deeper and allow the forward players more space to run into or the midfielders to break the lines. 

We pushed to high up and fell into their trap every attack and ended up trying to break down a ten man defence at the edge of their box.

Just seems we needed someone on the pitch to stop and reset the way we were playing... Whereas everyone was looking for Trippier to be our saviour.

The poor bloke had hard enough challenge getting Miggy out of the way before he could cross the ball!

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

1 hour ago, buzza said:

Burn is our best player at moving the ball on quickly.As for him not bringing the ball out of defence when the situation arose against Bournemouth,he’s nee Beckenbauer,I’ll give you that.I thought he was our best player on Saturday.

50 minutes ago, 1964 said:

I think its in the middle where we are struggling, no-one with the creativity needed to play against 10 men behind the ball 

I think we all knew in the summer that we lacked creativity yet nothing was done about it.Bruno and ASM look to make things happen.How many chances have been made or dangerous balls come into the box from Almiron,Fraser,Murphy,Willock,Longstaff and Big Joe this season? Against Bournemouth both fullbacks looked to keep the ball when an early cross into the box was an option.The midfield needs sorting in the January window as a priority.

Even though Almiron and Fraser are nowhere near good enough to be first team regulars, I still think we are just as bad at attacking balls into the box most of the time, we never make near post runs and we never seem to be able to get get headers on target, particularly from corners where we might aswell just put it out of play and give them the goal kick to save time.

We haven't looked terrible this season and we seem to be getting better at dominating possession but something isn't quite clicking going forward, at least two creative players needed in Jan for sure.

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Burn’s our best player at moving the ball on quickly? What are you talking about? Botman is an incredibly good passer, both short and long

I didn’t say Botman wasn’t an incredibly good passer but Burn passes the ball quicker,which in your reply,you didn’t disagree with.

3 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

I think we all knew in the summer that we lacked creativity yet nothing was done about it.Bruno and ASM look to make things happen.How many chances have been made or dangerous balls come into the box from Almiron,Fraser,Murphy,Willock,Longstaff and Big Joe this season? Against Bournemouth both fullbacks looked to keep the ball when an early cross into the box was an option.The midfield needs sorting in the January window as a priority.

I like Miggy’s industry/effort and no doubt Howe massively rates it too,  but even having someone who is able to cross the ball, or cut it back from the right would in itself be an improvement. Create more doubt in opponents. We must be so easy to plan for down that wing. 

Just now, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Even though Almiron and Fraser are nowhere near good enough to be first team regulars, I still think we are just as bad at attacking balls into the box most of the time, we never make near post runs and we never seem to be able to get get headers on target, particularly from corners where we might aswell just put it out of play and give them the goal kick to save time.

We haven't looked terrible this season and we seem to be getting better at dominating possession but something isn't quite clicking going forward, at least two creative players needed in Jan for sure.

In an earlier post I addressed our Plan A at corners.( drill the ball at pace into the box) It’s not working so let’s vary them by near post flicks or high to beyond the back post or penalty spot.We certainly have the hight to make things happen from corners.

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I like Miggy’s industry/effort and no doubt Howe massively rates it too,  but even having someone who is able to cross the ball, or cut it back from the right would in itself be an improvement. Create more doubt in opponents. We must be so easy to plan for down that wing. 

100% correct.

Our corners are pretty varied tbh, we just never really pull anything off. In terms of whipping it in we just don't have many players who are actually good in the air despite having a fairly tall and physical side. Botman and Lascelles aside nobody looks capable of properly attacking the ball with any regularity from set-pieces.

Lob it to Burn for a knockdown is probably our best bet from what we do, but I'd definitely like to see more near-post flick on's and hope someone can knock it in, I think Spurs have had a couple like that this season? 

On 17/09/2022 at 21:17, Yorkie said:

After the pain of what we've come through I really can't bear to be miserable. I never fancied us for anything more than a 9th/10th finish and that's probably what we're heading for, as it's basically a transitional season cos the squad still isn't there, despite the investment; there was nothing on the bench. Absolutely nothing that could affect the game. 

We absolutely dominated today but couldn't find a winner; credit to Bournemouth, they came here for a point and achieved it with a professional, organised performance. Joelinton's effort squeaks inside the post before half time and we're all sat here talking about a win and three points ground-out the ugly way. It wasn't to be, c'est la vie. We're still very much a different beast but we'll have off days. 

Was at the ground with both me parents today when, this time a year ago, I could barely envisage ever going again. It's gonna take a lot more shite results for me to lose that sense of the bigger picture. 

Agree that the atmosphere was mostly flat, mind; the enforced non-celebratory vibe definitely affecting the day. Even at half time the songs they played were enough to send you to fucking sleep. The 'one of those days' feels to the game early on saw to it that the atmosphere never really got going. 

there you go, said what i wanted to say.

people changing their expectations for this season.

but we all knew it would happen.

all the reasonable "i'll take mid table consolidation next season" is rapidly disappearing.

yes i thought we'd win 2 or 3 nil and was disappointed at full time, but couldn't even be slightly angry with the Howe and the players.

match day is something we all look forward too again.

and the fucking boos at full time - wtf? i know they were quickly drowned out, but that was idiotic. what does it achieve?

we need to be in this altogether. we need to be an attractive club to sign for. no negativity please in the ground.

Edited by huss9

Definitely looked like we were trying more 'funky' corners on Saturday. Presumably we were aware that Bouremouth are strong at set pieces so tried to change it up

I was more disappointed that nearly all of our crosses from open play went straight into the keepers hands unchallenged