Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

Well we had 72% possession, 7 shots on target, 8-1 on corners and we hit the post twice in the first half - if we'd scored that surely would have opened the game up.

I've only seen the MOTD highlights, but we need to remind ourselves of how far we've come in less than a year.

Breaking down packed defences is a new challenge, and at Premiership level it takes a really good side to do that on a consistent basis. We need some more quality going forward, but the will on the part of the owners seems to be there.

Fwiw, and I found it as frustrating as anyone that we didnt, if we'd scored first then Bournemouth's game plan would've been out the window. 

We hit the woodwork twice at 0-0, no? 

Granted we persisted in going down either wing then turning backwards to do it all again. 

Eventually putting crosses in to nobody. 

It's not exactly clear what the short term options are for this sort of game.

I actually don't think we lack bodies in the box very often but movement isn't great. Ergo, I don't think chucking more forward makes sense. Joelinton and Willock show willing in the box so inconsistently.

Botman starting could help a bit with his ability to play from the back and set pieces.

Bruno going further forward might help but he's only had one bit of goalscoring form in his career. Same could be said for Willock mind... Again, it doesn't feel clear-cut difference for me. I actually think Bruno is a great option deeper when we have more of the ball. Shelvey is prone to overplaying it and leaving us open.

Swapping wingers definitely would be beneficial to better delivery, even if just for periods of the game.

Lots of focus on missing ASM yesterday but he's often flattered to deceive against weaker sides. Obviously, he's still a much better option than Fraser. I actually think Wilson is the bigger miss. Of course, he has the ability to win battles and nick goals but I think having him and Isak on the pitch is a must for a match like that to open up more space centrally. I'm just not sure on how to best fit them together. 442? 352? 433?

30 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Well we had 72% possession, 7 shots on target, 8-1 on corners and we hit the post twice in the first half - if we'd scored that surely would have opened the game up.

I've only seen the MOTD highlights, but we need to remind ourselves of how far we've come in less than a year.

Breaking down packed defences is a new challenge, and at Premiership level it takes a really good side to do that on a consistent basis. We need some more quality going forward, but the will on the part of the owners seems to be there.

Give me this at this stage over Bruce fluking a good start with shite stats. 100% confident in every area of the club even if we haven't been picking up the wins.

On reflection, our biggest issue was that we had noone who was prepared to run at the opposition. 

We were actually very well drilled in passing and moving, often finding little pockets on the flanks. Deliveries were fine but in a congested box the defenders always have the advantage.

BTW, not enough credit is given to Bournemouth, they defended brilliantly and effectively made us run out of ideas.

You stick ASM or Anderson who's got a bit of skill and they see us over the line in this game.

Going forward these are the sort of players we need to target. Quick skillfully players who can unlock a door. No good just passing it around the opposition box.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Wood coming on earlier would allow Isak to drop deeper or wider which might have helped.

I actually really like Miggy, but his role is to pin sides in which isn’t as necessary when they have little incentive to push out.

Totally agree with this, even if Wood is crap. Isak is too talented a footballer to have him barely in the game.

The last 10 minutes were incredibly frustrating to watch, Bournemouth were delighted to take a point so all that nonsense, pretending to be injured, massive time wasting, I notice none of that got added on for us at the end. Not that I think it would have mattered, we just didn’t look like scoring in the second half.

Bruno wasn’t quite fully fit, but he was given terrible passes all game.. chest height balls that he needed to control to retain possession, momentum lost.

Joelinton didn’t have a great game, he had no outlet to pass to so he pushed further forward and ended up ineffective at both. Lost the ball too much.

Willock looked busy yet never really did anything. I always think of square pegs and round holes when I see him in this side.

Hard to criticise Isak when he barely had a kick, he stepped up when it mattered.

Its not all doom and gloom, we’ll likely have ASM and Wilson back soon, that should see Miggy and Fraser dropped.

Got a tad frustrated at how we consistently  just pinned them back and passed the ball around the 18yd box. Never really tried getting balls in quick, or any good quality crosses, everything just went straight to their keepers hands. Even with one or two chances, their keeper wasn't actually really tested, heard a few around me saying the keeper was man of the match, he really wasn't at all. We just weren't threatening enough.

I think their stand in manager had worked on nullifying Joelintons game, they were quick to stop him winning balls and carrying the ball into attack.

Obviously saw him as a big threat.

Edited by mighty__mag

Decent point for us, I'll take that. Given we've now played away to Liverpool, Man City and yourselves and Arsenal at home, likely four of the top eight, in our seven matches so far I think we're sitting rather pretty on eight points at this stage. As I mentioned prematch, the focus on the 9-0 is misleading. We made chaos looked organised in that thrashing v Liverpool and that was all down to Parker, but you can see from yesterday it's a different story under a different man. When we came up in 2014/15 under Howe all the talk was how we'd finish bottom and break the Derby record. Didn't happen. Pre-season this year it was the same. Once again it isn't going to happen. We may go down but I don't think it's nailed on, and with new owners due to arrive in a few weeks we get some money to spend in January which could make a big difference.

As for the match, it played out pretty much as I expected. Yet more injuries forced our hand a little, we're really struggling with those at the moment, but it felt like the right choice to start how we started v Forest.

I'm guessing you love Joelinton. Seems like the kind of player opposition fans hate but his own fans laud. He was so irritating yesterday, going down and getting free kicks for nothing all the time, disappointed but not surprised the ref was buying it all the time. Then the one time he was genuinely fouled he deliberately flicks a boot into the face of the player that hacked him. He was very lucky to get away with that and I've no doubt what would have happened with VAR if it was the other way around.

When he was in charge of us, one of Howe's biggest failings was against teams sitting back, inviting us on and being defensively well drilled. I've seen yesterday's game in reverse many times, and it felt like a nut he never quite managed to crack but it's going to be something you face a lot so he has to find a way around it. The speed at which the ball was moved when it happened with us seemed like a problem, with the opposition always able to reset, and that's partly on Howe. However, I was always of the opinion it was in part down to lack of individual quality and I'd say the same for you. You're seriously lacking a Hazard or Eriksson type player who can glide past a player in the middle of the pitch and pick a pass with guile and accuracy. Find one of them and you'll run out 2-0 winners in matches like yesterday.

At the back you looked vulnerable. The players we have weren't recruited to be a counter attacking so they aren't ideally suited to it but you looked a mess when we ran at you. Despite the balance of play we could easily have scored more, there were definitely chances for it.

As for the pen. Well, like with the one given against us last week, I've no problem with them giving them as long as they give them to us when they happen at the other end. I have my doubts based on what happened last time we were up but let's see.

Delighted to see Fraser was an abject failure on the day. Long may that continue for his career.

Wasn't the prettiest game but for a bunch of Championship players with no manager that were torn apart a couple of weeks ago, I think we did alright. An away point in the Premier League is never a bad result.

Good luck for the rest of the season, 11th February apart.

Sat in the Gallowgate for the first time in a while yesterday (I'm usually in either East Stand near the VAR monitor or Milburn corporates) and fuck me, our fan base is as thick as pig shit.

People booting off at Trippier for "time wasting" when the ref was checking the monitor for our pen. "JUST TEK THE FUCKIN CORNER MAN!" - imbeciles.

"Where's Anderson, why's he not on?" despite being told repeatedly by people around him that he wasn't on the bench.

And finally... the people who booed :lol: yes it was frustrating, but we had Steve Bruce and Mike Ashley less than a year ago and the progress from that on the pitch was plain as day.

3 minutes ago, WillDanceForChocolate said:

Decent point for us, I'll take that. Given we've now played away to Liverpool, Man City and yourselves and Arsenal at home, likely four of the top eight, in our seven matches so far I think we're sitting rather pretty on eight points at this stage. As I mentioned prematch, the focus on the 9-0 is misleading. We made chaos looked organised in that thrashing v Liverpool and that was all down to Parker, but you can see from yesterday it's a different story under a different man. When we came up in 2014/15 under Howe all the talk was how we'd finish bottom and break the Derby record. Didn't happen. Pre-season this year it was the same. Once again it isn't going to happen. We may go down but I don't think it's nailed on, and with new owners due to arrive in a few weeks we get some money to spend in January which could make a big difference.

As for the match, it played out pretty much as I expected. Yet more injuries forced our hand a little, we're really struggling with those at the moment, but it felt like the right choice to start how we started v Forest.

I'm guessing you love Joelinton. Seems like the kind of player opposition fans hate but his own fans laud. He was so irritating yesterday, going down and getting free kicks for nothing all the time, disappointed but not surprised the ref was buying it all the time. Then the one time he was genuinely fouled he deliberately flicks a boot into the face of the player that hacked him. He was very lucky to get away with that and I've no doubt what would have happened with VAR if it was the other way around.

When he was in charge of us, one of Howe's biggest failings was against teams sitting back, inviting us on and being defensively well drilled. I've seen yesterday's game in reverse many times, and it felt like a nut he never quite managed to crack but it's going to be something you face a lot so he has to find a way around it. The speed at which the ball was moved when it happened with us seemed like a problem, with the opposition always able to reset, and that's partly on Howe. However, I was always of the opinion it was in part down to lack of individual quality and I'd say the same for you. You're seriously lacking a Hazard or Eriksson type player who can glide past a player in the middle of the pitch and pick a pass with guile and accuracy. Find one of them and you'll run out 2-0 winners in matches like yesterday.

At the back you looked vulnerable. The players we have weren't recruited to be a counter attacking so they aren't ideally suited to it but you looked a mess when we ran at you. Despite the balance of play we could easily have scored more, there were definitely chances for it.

As for the pen. Well, like with the one given against us last week, I've no problem with them giving them as long as they give them to us when they happen at the other end. I have my doubts based on what happened last time we were up but let's see.

Delighted to see Fraser was an abject failure on the day. Long may that continue for his career.

Wasn't the prettiest game but for a bunch of Championship players with no manager that were torn apart a couple of weeks ago, I think we did alright. An away point in the Premier League is never a bad result.

Good luck for the rest of the season, 11th February apart.

Very good post however I thought exactly the same about about half of your players, particularly Ryan Christie, spent half the game on his arse and rolling about etc and the ref gave countless soft calls your way. One foul where Trippier cut inside with the ball, was blocked off by your winger and then you got a free kick was beyond insane.

O'Neil seems to have got you well drilled and organised and whether it's him or someone else I'd expect you to have a good chance of staying up based on the last few weeks.

4 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Sat in the Gallowgate for the first time in a while yesterday (I'm usually in either East Stand near the VAR monitor or Milburn corporates) and fuck me, our fan base is as thick as pig shit.

People booting off at Trippier for "time wasting" when the ref was checking the monitor for our pen. "JUST TEK THE FUCKIN CORNER MAN!" - imbeciles.

"Where's Anderson, why's he not on?" despite being told repeatedly by people around him that he wasn't on the bench.

And finally... the people who booed :lol: yes it was frustrating, but we had Steve Bruce and Mike Ashley less than a year ago and the progress from that on the pitch was plain as day.

You're lucky!

I had Eddie Howe's black and white army, relentless in my ear, by the loudest pissed bastard in the stadium, deafened me!

33 minutes ago, Pilko said:

:lol:

I'm convinced most people at the ground are on gear/smashed 

6 minutes ago, Menace said:

:lol:

I'm convinced most people at the ground are on gear/smashed 

My daughter was so quiet yesterday, convinced it's down to the fact blokes constantly shouting as loud as they can, dropping F bombs at any given moment, think she was slightly intimidated. 🙁

is it safe to comment now - stayed away from all forums yesterday.

We have been beaten once this season.  Yes, we need to turn draws into wins but we are in the process of rebuilding and I think its clear to most that we are in transition:

- 1st eleven all fit - we are a top 10 side, possible a Europa spot

- Subs - we are a bottom 10 side

We are transitioning from a 20% possession side to 60%+ possession side.    Last season everyone had a go at us and we could catch them on the break.   This season, especially at home, teams are going to sit back and defend and we need to be able to handle that.  That will take some time.

Until we have subs other than Murphy, Longstaff, Ritchie etc then injuries to our attacking players are going to impact results.

This is where we are in my view and so people just need to be patient.  It going to take more than 2 transfer windows to remove 14 years of neglect.

Final thought:

To realise how bad 14 years of Ashley have left us, look at the players leaving.  Not one of them has brought in a fee.  NUFC is having to give free transfers or paying salaries just to get them away from St James.  Our squad was so shit.

After having slept on it I don't feel as annoyed as I did leaving the ground and in the pub. We hit the post twice and had the most possession I can ever remember us having though Bournemouth allowed us that. 1 defeat (away at Liverpool in the 98th minute) in 7 and still better players to come back.

But it still was pretty dire at times, we created fuck all from open play and the penalty was the only way we were scoring. Against a side that will almost certainly be relegated this season, its pretty shit. Reminded me of a few games in the Championship under Benitez against the dross when we didn't get the early goal, we'd look clueless in regards to breaking down a stubborn defence. We massively missed ASM today, Fraser and Almiron are one trick ponies, Championship level footballers tbh. Something Howe will have to work on sans ASM, when we have the onus and lions' share of possession because the teams we expect to finish 15th and lower will do what Bournemouth did at SJP.

But he can't work on it with Almirón, Fraser, Murphy, Wood et al from the rest of the squad. Its our achilles heel and has to be sorted in the next 2 windows. As a result this season will probably be a lot more similar to 2000-01 under SBR than a few; Howe coming in the season before and turning us around from a toxic cloud and certain relegation to brilliant form and 11th place but getting injuries to key players hindering us. Next season will likely be the one we make the big strides towards 7th/6th, which is as frustrating and irritating as it is exciting.

4 hours ago, Scoot said:

Thought we played well again to be honest but we just can't get a win at the minute. It is getting slightly frustrating now. 

would be 7th in the league at this moment in time were it not for the corrupt shitbag Lee Mason.