Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

19 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We've looked a threat when Botman is in there. He's had at least one chance a game or won a header to create a chance. Burn might as well stay back for corners though.

Burn gets most of the attention from opposition defenders at corners.I’d like to see him attack the ball from well past the far post,or put the odd corner to him to head back into the danger area.

3 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Burn gets most of the attention from opposition defenders at corners.I’d like to see him attack the ball from well past the far post,or put the odd corner to him to head back into the danger area.

Or "doing a Williamson" as its known in the trade. 

4 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

It was more the fact he must have been retired for 25 years, than Sunderland link (think he was with us longer than with them btw) and with all due respect to his ‘aerial prowess’, there have been many better than him since. Though if you’d said Wyn Davies then fair enough! 😂 

Reveal hidden contents

DCA78A6F-50BB-4FBB-ACF9-C84D7321A1D2.thumb.jpeg.97b2309d66c760843e91a057995e2de2.jpeg

Against Liverpool.I would have been in attendance.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He can head back across goal but when have we ever seen Burn attack a header? His go-to is the loop-it-up-in-the-air header and I don’t know if I’ve ever seen him head it down at pace 

Hard to attack the ball when the oppositions best defender (s) are dragging you back.You’d think the other central defender playing alongside him would have notched a goal or two from set pieces,as they’re clearly better in the air than Burn at corners.

Burn is solid defensively but nothing more than that and he's a limited footballer imo. Football has moved on from defenders that are just "solid defensively", we need defenders that can spray balls around, are a threat from corners, set pieces etc

19 minutes ago, Menace said:

Burn is solid defensively but nothing more than that and he's a limited footballer imo. Football has moved on from defenders that are just "solid defensively", we need defenders that can spray balls around, are a threat from corners, set pieces etc

Nah. Dummett is what you call a limited footballer. Burn is much better than that. He's not top level by any stretch but h's good enough while Botman relaxes into his new environment, away from the spotlight.

24 minutes ago, Menace said:

Can you name three central defenders with those qualities that we should look to sign in January? van Dijk looks settled at Liverpool and Daniel Passarella the Argentinian World Cup winning captain in 1978 is coming up to 70 years old.As Cabbage Heed used to say ‘We are where we are’. We have far bigger problems in midfield than replacing Burn in central defence.

So your three choices would be…

Who said anything about signing 3 defenders? I'm specifically saying I would personally play Botman ahead of him

But to answer your question

Badiashile
Zagadou

Akanji would've been a good shout but Man City signed him so I'll throw in Elvedi for extra measure.

Hope this helps

49 minutes ago, Menace said:

Who said anything about signing 3 defenders? I'm specifically saying I would personally play Botman ahead of him

But to answer your question

Badiashile
Zagadou

Akanji would've been a good shout but Man City signed him so I'll throw in Elvedi for extra measure.

Hope this helps

We currently don’t have any central defenders with the attributes you require from a central defender,in my honest opinion.

Being honest with you,I had to checkout the three defenders you named.Elvedi seems to have the defensive qualities of Lascelles.Slow and prown to playing out and putting team mates under pressure.

Badiashile seems like a good player,in French football,so possibly a good shout from you..Zagadou has been a free agent since early May.Any idea why? 
I know stats don’t tell you everything but here goes

Badiashile 128 games 6 goals 

Elvedi 204 games 10 goals

Zagadou 67 games 4 goals.

Neither player would greatly assist our problem of goals coming from our central defenders at corners,set pieces etc.

We’ve rarely had a left footer and a right footer in central defence.I can think of Albert as a left sided player.Any others? 
Vidic and Ferdinand were both right footed.Hansen and Laurenson.Cabbage Heed and Pallister.Terry and Carvaliho.Keown/Campbell and Adams.Woodgate and Howie.Peacock and Howie.Moncur and Burton/McNamee. 

1 minute ago, tomlynnherrington said:

We’ve rarely had a left footer and a right footer in central defence.I can think of Albert as a left sided player.Any others? 
Vidic and Ferdinand were both right footed.Hansen and Laurenson.Cabbage Heed and Pallister.Terry and Carvaliho.Keown/Campbell and Adams.Woodgate and Howie.Peacock and Howie.Moncur and Burton/McNamee. 

Domi maybe

7 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Ciaran Clark is left footed…