Newcastle United 5-1 Brentford (08/10/2022)

Disco

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

We look so fit and strong

Yeah. 70 mins in and we were still rampaging. Going from where we were to where we are has taken it's toll with short-term injuries, no doubt, but thankfully our hopes are not pinned on eleven [nevermind one] purple players staying fit or the entire season.

Decided last minute to go this one, by last minute I mean I was playing in a darts tournament in Ireland at 12.30 this morning when I decided fuck it, I'm coming over, I'll probably have to work til I'm 75 to get back what I spent on flight and hotel, but I'm that euphoric I've just ordered myself one of them £100 charcuterie steaks or whatever you call them. 

Fantastic performance, could have been a different game if Pawson thought Toney wasn't interfering mind

1 hour ago, maybe_next_year said:

True, we pressed well. 

I think we're quite unique in this respect [outside the top 6]. Teams, like Brentford [lower to middling, but ambitious to stay there], trying to keep up with the modern game, have invested in defences that are comfortable on the ball and we just destroy them.

1 minute ago, GlenMag said:

Decided last minute to go this one, by last minute I mean I was playing in a darts tournament in Ireland at 12.30 this morning when I decided fuck it, I'm coming over, I'll probably have to work til I'm 75 to get back what I spent on flight and hotel, but I'm that euphoric I've just ordered myself one of them £100 charcuterie steaks or whatever you call them. 

Fantastic performance, could have been a different game if Pawson thought Toney wasn't interfering mind

:lol: Howe's choice to pick an unchanged team just got pipped for best decision of the day. Good for you, man. 

2 minutes ago, GlenMag said:

Charcuterie steak?! Is that a thing? Amazing trip for ya!

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Charcuterie means cold cooked meats so it's probably something a pretentious restaurant would charge £100 quid for, and some mug would buy.

Na it's one of those steaks that are meant to be for two people.

That Hickey lad was very impressive for them I thought, definitely looks like a prospect 

1 minute ago, GlenMag said:

Na it's one of those steaks that are meant to be for two people.

That Hickey lad was very impressive for them I thought, definitely looks like a prospect 

Seems I was correct in my assumption.

Edited by Happinesstan

15 minutes ago, GlenMag said:

Hahaha brilliant 

They remind me of Swindon but with players good enough to get away with it.

Were so consistently vividly the better team in most games (Brighton, Man City, Liverpool the exceptions this season) - that's all the control the coaches can have, if were handed some goals by Brentford and robbed of them in other games is football being football.

Looking forward to watching this again tonight as can’t work out if we were actually any good today. Initial reaction coming out the ground was that it was the most meh 5-1 I’ve ever seen

(Reaction probably not helped by Gateshead being in gridlock pre game and missing kickoff. Ridiculous idea to rearrange the junior GNR events for a match day and close the quayside roads on both sides)

Another match that felt alien but in a great way.

You look at the score and you think it's a thrashing, but Brentford weren't bad at all imo and we weren't in top gear. That's not arrogance or a backhanded compliment, or saying the scoreline flattered us or anything either, it was just one of those matches.

We played really well and deserved to win, the way we press and dominate possession is a joy to behold and puts much less pressure on us to make the right pass and take chances because we're so good at winning the ball back that you know it's in us to go time and again.

I love the way we play, I think I can see what Howe has in mind for us and it's exactly my type of football. Love it.

Edit: Watching it back again,  Brentford weren't bad but Raya was :lol: Almiron's goal and the O.G were largely about us forcing it to happen.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, geordie_b said:

Looking forward to watching this again tonight as can’t work out if we were actually any good today. Initial reaction coming out the ground was that it was the most meh 5-1 I’ve ever seen

I hope this isn't an indication of expectation levels, because the next three home games will be reliant on he support playing their part, and there's nothing for Wor Flags to be inspired by. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Another match that felt alien but in a great way.

You look at the score and you think it's a thrashing, but Brentford weren't bad at all imo and we weren't in top gear. That's not arrogance or a backhanded compliment, or saying the scoreline flattered us or anything either, it was just one of those matches.

We played really well and deserved to win, the way we press and dominate possession is a joy to behold and puts much less pressure on us to make the right pass and take chances because we're so good at winning the ball back that you know it's in us to go time and again.

I love the way we play, I think I can see what Howe has in mind for us and it's exactly my type of football. Love it.

Agree. It's as though Howe is the first to recognise how to beat the modern game [which DIES sound arrogant[. I just struggle to balance this with where we were a year ago.

When last season concluded, I didn't think for a moment we could continue our form from the second half of last season. Like others, I thought we needed 11 new players to maintain our credibility [if not points] but we've actually built upon it.