Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Is this what the Chicago Bulls were like, or were they actually good as well?

Do you really want an answer? :lol:

6 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Leicester winning the Prem?

They dominated in a different way. Seem to remember absolutely no one getting shots off against them. (Probably absolutely horseshit if you watched it back though)

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Agreed I just wouldn't say they dominated games, their main tactic was to get it to Mahrez and Vardy on the break

They did it by passing it through the lines though, not like they just lumped it forward to the corner flag.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Brave effort by Dortmund, in the end individual class won out against a brilliant team ethos.

They couldn’t defend set pieces or attack them.  Thats where they lost. 

Madrid had like 6 corners. Scored 1, almost scored another 2. Dortmund had what felt like 12.  Barely got an attacking header. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Yes :lol: I don't know anything beyond watching The Last Dance 5 times.

The best way to describe the Bulls of that era is to steal a bit from Marvel. They were beyond good. They were inevitable. You never ever felt like you had the best of them. Being ahead in a game felt like keeping their seat warm and being ahead in a series didn't feel like having an advantage. it felt like being on the precipice of history. They were undeniable. They had answers for every question and contingencies for anything anyone could throw at them. They could beat anyone, anywhere. Home and Away meant nothing.

At the center of it all was him. I will never as long as I live see an athlete as undeniable as him. Supporting a team he devoured was like being psychotic. It broke you every year.

When my dad was a young man, he used to be wild and out of control. Fighting, drinking, fucking, all of that. We used to ask him why he was like that, and his answer was simple. "It didn't matter, I was going to die in Vietnam". Supporting an NBA team in the mid 90's was the same way, superficially. Had a good season? You're going to lose to Chicago. Best team you've ever seen in your shirt? You're going to lose to Chicago. In October, you knew what was going to happen in June. It would have been freeing, if it wasn't so god damn inevitable. All roads led to the meat grinder.

It can never be overstated how horrific they were.

The Dortmund coach really impressed me in our group games, but it's kind of nice seeing one of the old guard legendary managers in Ancelotti showing he's still got it. Never looks like he's not got things in control.

Just now, TRon said:

The Dortmund coach really impressed me in our group games, but it's kind of nice seeing one of the old guard legendary managers in Ancelotti showing he's still got it. Never looks like he's not got things in control.

Wonder if he'll go back to Everton... ☺️

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

The best way to describe the Bulls of that era is to steal a bit from Marvel. They were beyond good. They were inevitable. You never ever felt like you had the best of them. Being ahead in a game felt like keeping their seat warm and being ahead in a series didn't feel like having an advantage. it felt like being on the precipice of history. They were undeniable. They had answers for every question and contingencies for anything anyone could throw at them. They could beat anyone, anywhere. Home and Away meant nothing.

At the center of it all was him. I will never as long as I live see an athlete as undeniable as him. Supporting a team he devoured was like being psychotic. It broke you every year.

When my dad was a young man, he used to be wild and out of control. Fighting, drinking, fucking, all of that. We used to ask him why he was like that, and his answer was simple. "It didn't matter, I was going to die in Vietnam". Supporting an NBA team in the mid 90's was the same way, superficially. Had a good season? You're going to lose to Chicago. Best team you've ever seen in your shirt? You're going to lose to Chicago. In October, you knew what was going to happen in June. It would have been freeing, if it wasn't so god damn inevitable. All roads led to the meat grinder.

I loved watching that Bulls team, got me into Basketball and playing at college level (yes I'm that old) albeit in England. Truly were a sight to behold, just pure domination, shame the Bears team have never lived up to that standard bar a brief moment in the 1985/86 season.

Just now, Mattoon said:

I loved watching that Bulls team, got me into Basketball and playing at college level (yes I'm that old) albeit in England. Truly were a sight to behold, just pure domination, shame the Bears team have never lived up to that standard bar a brief moment in the 1985/86 season.

:lol: I'm a Knicks fan. Let's fight.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Dying at that :lol:

Sounds absolutely awful, but presumably they were deserved winners? That's the thing with this Real Madrid side, it's been years and years that they've won like this, without them deserving it, without them giving a shit. 

When they won in 2017 it was on the big screen at a festival I was at in Barcelona and it genuinely ruined the mood :lol:

1 minute ago, Mike said:

:lol: I'm a Knicks fan. Let's fight.

I don't even like Chicago, just fell in love with their teams when I was young :lol: it's been about 20 years since my last fight, shouod be worth a laugh.

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Great writeup, read it 2-3 times now, you should write professionally :lol:

I'd add that Pippen and Rodman were also sensational players but Jordan man, a force of nature. Since moved to the US in 98, i've actually watched the game less. Lebron and Curry are brilliant but still don't think they come close to MJ. Total NBA layman though.

8 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

Wonder if he'll go back to Everton... ☺️

Still seems mad that he was their manager not so long ago. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Dying at that :lol:

Sounds absolutely awful, but presumably they were deserved winners? That's the thing with this Real Madrid side, it's been years and years that they've won like this, without them deserving it, without them giving a shit. 

When they won in 2017 it was on the big screen at a festival I was at in Barcelona and it genuinely ruined the mood :lol:

They'll always be remembered for Jordan, but that team had Rodman, pippen, Kerr, Kukoč, they were just stacked across the court.

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Out of interest, are the Bulls still universally hated, like Man United are despite by their own standards not having had much success recently? 

That shit would take generations to pass before the hatred subsided in the general population if that happened here :lol: