Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Watching MOTD. Since when did pundits (not just on MOTD) start dressing so causally? Even presenters on SSN dress down now. 

Definitely a post-pandemic thing. The office I work in has massively relaxed the dress code, far as I know it's much the same in a lot of places.

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Crikey what an assist from Jason fucking Steele. [emoji38]

Will never forget his performance away at Ipswich when he was at Chickentown. They were fyeeeeeeewmin.

3 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Definitely a post-pandemic thing. The office I work in has massively relaxed the dress code, far as I know it's much the same in a lot of places.

I'm not a fan of it Pilko. Imagine Des Lynam dressing in Arne clothes back in the day. 

43 minutes ago, brummie said:

walk-in.gif

Evening, all.

Players improved under Gerrard in a year: Ramsey (at a push).

Players improved under Emery in 15 games: McGinn, Watkins, Ramsey, Luiz, Mings, Buendia. And there are probably more.

I still feel all this sticks in the craw of the cheerleaders for the traditional wanker British managers who can't handle Stevie G failing, but the difference here is absolutely night and day, no comparison.

Under Emery, we play like we have a plan, and a collective brain and an effort to make it happen. I never really feel like we are going to lose - we do lose, obviously, but I go into matches thinking we'll quite possibly win. Week after week.

We've scored in every game under him. We had one game against Leicester where we made four poor mistakes and every one of them was punished. We lost at home to Arsenal, but were at 2-2 until the 93rd minute when a shot hit the crossbar, bounced in and went in off our keeper's head.

I was wrong about a few of these players. I thought Watkins wasn't up to it, I thought McGinn was a busted flush, but we're seeing the impact a proper coach with a properly professional backroom staff can make, it's remarkable, and I just wish we hadn't wasted the first third of the season on that cunt Gerrard.

EDIT - and another thing, in 15 games he has entirely changed the way we play, totally different. He has us playing out from the keeper to the defenders, ball to feet, all the time, something we never did under Gerrard. We now keep the ball, he goes nuts when we give it away cheaply.

15 games, remarkable.

Watkins looks so much sharper, it's been a crazy improvement. McGinn looks a totally different player. Interesting to hear him say he was backed by Gerrard but didn't perform, but obviously has been improving game on game under Emery. Not seen you loads but it seems everyone has a much greater understanding of roles and responsibilities and the coaching for each role seems to be pretty spot on.

Improving players to improve the team > shouting at the team to improve the players.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Just now, brummie said:

Does anyone else find themselves thinking if they were a referee they'd LOVE doing the make the shape of a rectangle and point to the penalty spot thing?

Although also, the rectangle followed by the hand crossing "no goal" or "no red card" thing. That's even better.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Media are relatively quiet about how much better Emery is doing compared to Gerrard. 

Last week Sam Matterface was venting about how Villa fans are not happy with the football, and how we're not really any better than we were under Gerrard. Seriously.