Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

22 minutes ago, iklgizmo said:

Love that the media are trying to hype up this narrative! Th Scottish players are absoluley raging about it!

I reckon only 1, maybe 2  would make the squad, but outside of the USA, the Olympics is not regarded as that big of a deal in women's football anyway!

It's still bizarre and unfortunate though.

Up until a few years ago and the recent push and promotion, the Olympics would have been seen as one the biggest events on the women's side and where the players would probably get most attention. Full strength squads, not the U23 rule like in the men, and a medal on the line, and a sense of national pride to gather casual interest. That was definitely when I paid most interest to the women's side, especially 2012 and just before the home Olympics kicked off. 

Granted it might have changed with more widespread interest in the Euros and World Cup these days, but most would still want to play if given the option.

I see neither are playing, but it would have been weird for the likes of Kim Little and Caroline Weur in recent years ago could be expected to start for GB (not sure if the former us still involved with the national team).

6 minutes ago, Paullow said:

It's still bizarre and unfortunate though.

Up until a few years ago and the recent push and promotion, the Olympics would have been seen as one the biggest events on the women's side and where the players would probably get most attention. Full strength squads, not the U23 rule like in the men, and a medal on the line, and a sense of national pride to gather casual interest. That was definitely when I paid most interest to the women's side, especially 2012 and just before the home Olympics kicked off. 

Granted it might have changed with more widespread interest in the Euros and World Cup these days, but most would still want to play if given the option.

I see neither are playing, but it would have been weird for the likes of Kim Little and Caroline Weur in recent years ago could be expected to start for GB (not sure if the former us still involved with the national team).

Yea it is a strange situation! 

2012 was the first year we had a GB team, so maybe it just feels weird because of that. Obviously the players would still love to be part of it though!

I think Little has retired and Weir has done her acl, so I actually think cuthbert is the only Scottish player would get in the squad, or certainly the only one who would have a chance of any game time.

Looking at the Wales squad, probably only Ingle would be a decent

Good start for England!!

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Lovely composure from Hwang. Gather that he's on a bit of a redemption arc atm? They used to hate him didn't they?

Was just about to post this, I'm certain they despised him a couple of years ago. Calm and composed finish.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Lovely composure from Hwang. Gather that he's on a bit of a redemption arc atm? They used to hate him didn't they?

I'm convinced he's absolutely shite yet he's somehow got 8 goals this season

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Camera angle at Luton is making it unwatchable 

How so? Too near sided for you? I like it, feels like the camera is over the pitch, it's the pitchside jumpcuts that require some sea legs. :lol: 

1 minute ago, simonsays said:

Why the fuck does Andros Townsend have Townsend Sr. On the back of his shirt? 

He named his son Andros, the same as him. I believe it's the first instance of this ever happening so Sr was added to his kit so we don't mix them up.