Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

2 hours ago, Disco said:

Tajikistan living their best life at the Asia Cup. Just knocked UAE out to reach the QFs in their debut tournament. Badge is a commie corker too.

image.png.923afa95ca00fb5a72937a83b292aa65.png

Love the heroic pose while holding the People’s Broccoli.  Must be related to collective farming 

2 hours ago, brummie said:

No, it's the Black Country derby, properly and deeply unpleasant. Derbies in this part of the world are complex and hard to explain simply. Villa - Albion, for example, is the original derby and massively important to a big chunk of our support (that side of the city) and not really to the bit south of the city. That's a 19th century rivalry. 

Wolves - Albion is more 20th century, but it's no Villa - Coventry one-way nothingfest.

I went to Aston uni and went to a lot of Birmingham / Villa / WBA games whenever cheap tickets were on offer. 

Always felt there was a lot more trouble to be had at Birmingham and Villa if you were looking for it than any other grounds I've visited. Can't put my finger on why but football fans in the West Midlands seems to have a rougher edge. 

I used to live half way between Villa Park and St Andrews and it all felt like it was going to kick off on Derby day. I went to St Andrews when Bhm beat them 2-1 in the cup, Villa fans beat down the separation between the fans and it all kicked off, bhm fan next to me left his kids behind in the stand to get involved in the fight. Pitch invasions as well from memory and I got a few people offer me a fight on the way over there.

Saw a WBA/ Villa 2-2 as well where it all got a bit spicy! 

Seems to be genuine hatred between a lot of these fans. 

Most of our cheap tickets were in the Holte end at Villa, at a time when they were near the bottom of the league and the angry knuckleheads about made us feel on edge quite a bit as well!

3 hours ago, ChrisJbarnes said:

I went to Aston uni and went to a lot of Birmingham / Villa / WBA games whenever cheap tickets were on offer. 

Always felt there was a lot more trouble to be had at Birmingham and Villa if you were looking for it than any other grounds I've visited. Can't put my finger on why but football fans in the West Midlands seems to have a rougher edge. 

I used to live half way between Villa Park and St Andrews and it all felt like it was going to kick off on Derby day. I went to St Andrews when Bhm beat them 2-1 in the cup, Villa fans beat down the separation between the fans and it all kicked off, bhm fan next to me left his kids behind in the stand to get involved in the fight. Pitch invasions as well from memory and I got a few people offer me a fight on the way over there.

Saw a WBA/ Villa 2-2 as well where it all got a bit spicy! 

Seems to be genuine hatred between a lot of these fans. 

Most of our cheap tickets were in the Holte end at Villa, at a time when they were near the bottom of the league and the angry knuckleheads about made us feel on edge quite a bit as well!

Other than Birmingham City, I never felt in my danger in that neck of the woods tbh.   Went to Villa Park more than Hawthorns or Molineux but none of those three ever felt particularly dicey. 

Far more attention being given to the AFCON than Asian Cup, for obvious reasons but still some interesting games/set ups. 

Australia, Japan, South Korea and Saudi must be favourites with the latter two playing each other tomoz. 

Nice to see Palestine in the last 16.

That James McConnell lad (19) for Liverpool looked canny. Only found out yesterday he's one of my former colleague's sons. 

I thought he was at Sunderland.

Family from Heaton but Morpeth now. 

Another one "slipped through the net" 

Our academy set up has been woeful for ever. 

10 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

That James McConnell lad (19) for Liverpool looked canny. Only found out yesterday he's one of my former colleague's sons. 

I thought he was at Sunderland.

Family from Heaton but Morpeth now. 

Another one "slipped through the net" 

Our academy set up has been woeful for ever. 

After Henderson and Pickford people got clued up with the sunlun academy. It’s been pillaged at regular stages, likes of Man Utd and Liverpool pinching players at U15 level - likes of Hugill and McConnell. Reckon Watson and Rigg are being circled by the bigger lads now.