Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

1 hour ago, wormy said:

Does anyone know much about the 'world feed comentary' he's referring to? Do known names do it or is it lower budget?

I’ve heard it’s what you get on streams from the US/Canada/Iraq TV.

5 minutes ago, Disco said:

I’ve heard it’s what you get on streams from the US/Canada/Iraq TV.

We have our own set of commentators for all PL matches over here (who are there live during the match). Studio analysis is done in America too. 

Edited by cubaricho

MOTD is going to have to have someone from each side of politics on going forward I fancy. Probably should have been like that anyway. Maybe it never was, maybe it always was (pre Lineker anyway) the beauty is we never knew and the normal folk amongst us didn't care. Happy days.

Edited by Jonas

37 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

We have our own set of commentators for all PL matches over here (who are there live during the match). Studio analysis is done in America too. 

Definitely watched the same game in the US and then travelled elsewhere to watch the second half with superior footage but the same feed. It’s a weird mix when full native English comms but then it’s usually fairly consistent between whatever nation coverage it is and then cut back to the local studio. 

4 hours ago, gbandit said:

Aye, definitely sounds like a good plan to alienate millions of viewers by destroying their most popular show, can’t see it backfiring at all

It’s not their most popular show - not by a long chalk.  It usually pulls in around 2.5-3m viewers.  Canny enough for a football highlights programme, but it’s nowhere near as many who watch, say, Call the Midwife.

I find myself in an odd position with all of this.  The BBC is a Good Thing generally but is wrong in their actions here.  Lineker is absolutely correct in what he said.  Match of the Day is an institution.

But in all honesty, I can’t sit down and watch pundits talking shite during full games or highlights shows.  I don’t watch pre- or post match and usually do something else at half time; though I realise this isn’t what everyone wants to do and there are those who enjoy this element.  There is a joy to the highlights being on YouTube these days - I just watch those and avoid the waffle of ex pros telling me what I can see with my own eyes; I find it hard to believe that there is much to be learned from Shearer, Wright or Richards.  If I was still in the UK, MOTD just showing the highlights and with PL worldwide commentators would do for me - with a short voice over to explain the context of the match and the table.  Just find a new Tim Gudgin to do it. I also think that MOTD (or at least the PL highlights rights package - roughly £70m per year) is hard to justify in terms of cost vs number of viewers - particularly with public money.

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

MOTD is going to have to have someone from each side of politics on going forward I fancy. Probably should have been like that anyway. Maybe it never was, maybe it always was (pre Lineker anyway) the beauty is we never knew and the normal folk amongst us didn't care. Happy days.

They don’t talk about politics on the show - why would they need to do that?

Breaking international law and treating people seeking asylum like vermin is beyond politics.  It’s humanitarian position - the BBC does Comic and Sports Relief and no-one moans on that they are political.   

5 hours ago, wormy said:

Does anyone know much about the 'world feed comentary' he's referring to? Do known names do it or is it lower budget?

The world feed is used on various foreign channels such as BEIN sports, USA , Canada and DAZN etc to provide English speaking commentary for Expats etc, in reality the BBC can run MOTD perfectly adequately without pundits etc or anyBBC commentators .

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They don’t talk about politics on the show - why would they need to do that?

Breaking international law and treating people seeking asylum like vermin is beyond politics.  It’s humanitarian position - the BBC does Comic and Sports Relief and no-one moans on that they are political.   

This may or may not be the case re international law, but the question being is that the present majority of those crossing the water at the moment are Albanians to work for criminal gangs , and all these other people that do cross the water are supposed to seek refuge in there first port of call , whichever EU country they land in, so why come through all of those to get here is the real question, nah Liniker is a tosser

Wew, please diversify your news sources. There’s no requirement to seek refuge in the first port of call at all. Not even going to ask about what your source is for the majority coming to work for criminal gangs 

Hope MotD ratings don't go through the roof this weekend just for people curiously seeing what it's like without commentators/presentators

Although I guess it won't be sustainable in the long run

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Hope MotD ratings don't go through the roof this weekend just for people curiously seeing what it's like without commentators/presentators

Had exactly same thought, probably more viewers than normal tonight. 

15 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

This may or may not be the case re international law, but the question being is that the present majority of those crossing the water at the moment are Albanians to work for criminal gangs , and all these other people that do cross the water are supposed to seek refuge in there first port of call , whichever EU country they land in, so why come through all of those to get here is the real question, nah Liniker is a tosser

First - where’s your source re ‘the majority’ of them being Albanian?

Also - it’s not a good idea to mix up economic migrants who’ve entered without a visa with people seeking refuge.

The changes to the law effectively block any asylum seekers arriving in the UK.  It’s a breach of international law - there’s no two ways about it.  Per gbandit’s comment, there’s no requirement at all to ‘seek asylum in the first country you arrive in’.  Might be best not to get your news from racist groups on facebook

16 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I wouldn’t want that to happen because it would represent a victory for the tiresome culture war twats on the populist right, but does anyone really tune in to MOTD to hear Lineker and Shearer talk on a couch?

Edited by TheBrownBottle

33 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Both of those things, unsurprisingly, aren't actually true, but that's by-the-by, this is a question of free speech. Presumably you'd have a problem with this happening to someone who's said what you just have, who you don't think is a tosser. On that basis alone it's a problem for all of us, regardless of what the actual opinion is.

33 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

First - where’s your source re ‘the majority’ of them being Albanian?

Also - it’s not a good idea to mix up economic migrants who’ve entered without a visa with people seeking refuge.

The changes to the law effectively block any asylum seekers arriving in the UK.  It’s a breach of international law - there’s no two ways about it.  Per gbandit’s comment, there’s no requirement at all to ‘seek asylum in the first country you arrive in’.  Might be best not to get your news from racist groups on facebook

BBC figures upto Dec 2022

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Both of those things, unsurprisingly, aren't actually true, but that's by-the-by, this is a question of free speech. Presumably you'd have a problem with this happening to someone who's said what you just have, who you don't think is a tosser. On that basis alone it's a problem for all of us, regardless of what the actual opinion is.

Don't have a problem with Free Speech have a problem with individuals ( not yourself btw) such as wokes determining how people voice there opinions , example England colonising Northern Ireland is one prime example , where clearly they don't have a clue about history , just like Liniker

13 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Don't have a problem with Free Speech have a problem with individuals ( not yourself btw) such as wokes determining how people voice there opinions , example England colonising Northern Ireland is one prime example , where clearly they don't have a clue about history , just like Liniker

So surely you're against the government and the BBC trying to determine how Lineker voices his opinion in this case then?

58 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Probably not a discussion for this part of the forum but...

If that were the case then the government's current position would be absolutely no deterrent to those people as they would not be likely to have a valid asylum claim anyway.

The only people possibly discouraged would be genuine refugees, most of whom would have no other way to claim asylum in this country.

6 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Probably not a discussion for this part of the forum but...

If that were the case then the government's current position would be absolutely no deterrent to those people as they would not be likely to have a valid asylum claim anyway.

The only people possibly discouraged would be genuine refugees, most of whom would have no other way to claim asylum in this country.

Yep.  Asylum seekers, by definition, do not have an entry visa into the UK.  They claim asylum on arrival.  The Tories’ proposals would effectively mean that the UK would be able to take zero asylum seekers.

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep.  Asylum seekers, by definition, do not have an entry visa into the UK.  They claim asylum on arrival.  The Tories’ proposals would effectively mean that the UK would be able to take zero asylum seekers.

Once the current routes are closed as long as controlled routes are opened I am all for the current steps being taken.  At the moment we have criminal gangs profiteering and people drowning.  What ever needs to be to stop this should be done.  As I say as long as we then open up ligitimate ways for people to seek asylum. 

1 hour ago, wyn davies said:

First N-Trance and now Wyn Davies.  What a disheartening last 24 hours…