Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

Just now, CM1961 said:

Lineker has set himself up against BBC Management to see who has the biggest clout.  Someone's got to lose face (and their job?).  If I was BBC Management I'd cancel MOTD indefinitely, sack anyone who refused to fulfill their employment contract and save huge wages on Lineker, Shearer, Production, Commentators etc.  Due to the mandatory license fee, the loss of viewing figures has no impact on income. Job done !

And then Lineker takes then to court, which will have an impact on income 

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

And then Lineker takes then to court, which will have an impact on income 

As would the Premier League for not fulfilling their contact.

Lineker would be in breach of contract if he refused to work under the conditions of his employment, so wouldn't be able to take the BBC to court for anything.

The BBC have already fulfilled their Premier League responsibilities.  They paid for the package of this seasons highlights up front.  Having trousered the money, the Premier League couldn't care less if the BBC broadcast it or not.

This is defo a possible outcome.

I’m loving this - it doesn’t even matter if you like liniker or not - he’s took a stand and he’s fucking right-

whether you agree or disagree with his views censoring someone for political views is going down the line of Korea simple as that 

8 minutes ago, CM1961 said:

Lineker would be in breach of contract if he refused to work under the conditions of his employment, so wouldn't be able to take the BBC to court for anything.

The BBC have already fulfilled their Premier League responsibilities.  They paid for the package of this seasons highlights up front.  Having trousered the money, the Premier League couldn't care less if the BBC broadcast it or not.

I’m sure the premier leagues and the club sponsors would care if one of their main platforms for exposure wasn’t broadcast.

8 minutes ago, CM1961 said:

Who said he refused to work? If ome reports are to be believed he refused to apologise for his own personal views, big difference 

I'm sure he would have happily continued to present the show if the BBC had left him to it 

So based on that I think he'd have a strong case 

As for the Premier League, of course they care, the more eyes on their product the better 

If he used MOTD as a soapbox for his political opinions then there’s an issue but he hasn’t. He’s basically being punished for expressing a public opinion that’s deemed unacceptable by the party currently in power. 

Unfortunately it’s a bit of a win either way for the govt, either Lineker gets censored or the BBC makes itself look incredibly bad, which quite clearly they have done. 

3 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

If he used MOTD as a soapbox for his political opinions then there’s an issue but he hasn’t. He’s basically being punished for expressing a public opinion that’s deemed unacceptable by the party currently in power. 

Unfortunately it’s a bit of a win either way for the govt, either Lineker gets censored or the BBC makes itself look incredibly bad, which quite clearly they have done. 

Really ? I think it makes the BBC look a Govt stooge and the Govt by extension wants to control what ought to be impartial........m and then we have the hypocrisy re Sharp, Sugar etc.

Its in no way a win for the blues.

22 minutes ago, tgarve said:

I’m loving this - it doesn’t even matter if you like liniker or not - he’s took a stand and he’s fucking right-

whether you agree or disagree with his views censoring someone for political views is going down the line of Korea simple as that 

While allowing others in a similar position or worse, Governing positions, to say what they want with impunity. Their argument only works it applies across the board.

Edited by madras

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

Become a right shit show this has.

... and the stakes are getting higher and higher all the time  Soon there will be little opportunity for either party to back down without loss of face/status.  It feels like the Top Gear = Clarkson + Hammond + May episode all over again.

4 hours ago, midds said:

Jenas will be there 12 hours early just to make sure he gets the gig. The spineless, servile and relentlessly dull little cunt thet he is, and always has been. 

:lol:

32 minutes ago, madras said:

Really ? I think it makes the BBC look a Govt stooge and the Govt by extension wants to control what ought to be impartial........m and then we have the hypocrisy re Sharp, Sugar etc.

Its in no way a win for the blues.

It's given the Tory's policy (like it or not) a huge public profile.  More than they could have managed on their own.  And it's placed Lineker as the figure-head of it's opposition, which could be to their benefit ... he isn't universally liked, not by a long way.

5 minutes ago, CM1961 said:

It's given the Tory's policy (like it or not) a huge public profile.  More than they could have managed on their own.  And it's placed Lineker as the figure-head of it's opposition, which could be to their benefit ... he isn't universally liked, not by a long way.

The profile hasn't been received well has it ? Also Lineker seems to be getting backing plus it throws a spotlight on the Govts/Beebs hypocrisy. It seems like a massive OG to me.

Edited by madras

Not the right thread I know, but whatever side of the fence you sit on, I don't know how anyone can defend this utter fucking embarrassment of a government currently "running" this country.

They've collectively shown contempt for the people, restricted their rights to peaceful protest and are in essence trying to silence key public figures who hold a differing opinion in this latest instance.

As a somewhat centrist (albeit left of centre), I can see the argument that Lineker is representing an apolitical channel and whether contractually stipulated or not this is ultimately implied, but surely he is as entitled to share his inoffensive views as are any of the other 'stars' from other BBC shows?

Edited by Heron

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Fiona Bruce would absolutely do it like, she was defending domestic abuse on their behalf the other night.

Anything for a few quid, that cunt.

As long as she could posture as a pseudo intellectual with absolutely no fucking idea what she was talking about, she'd be balls on the bath 'in'!

29 minutes ago, Heron said:

Not the right thread I know, but whatever side of the fence you sit on, I don't know how anyone can defend this utter fucking embarrassment of a government currently "running" this country.

They've collectively shown contempt for the people, restricted their rights to peaceful protest and are in essence trying to silence key public figures who hold a differing opinion in this latest instance.

Government (probably) using Lineker story to deflect from some criminal corruption matter or summat that they are trying to cover up. Slimey twats!