Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Do we actually need this though? This season in the PL is the highest scoring since 1964.

There hasn't been any discourse about low scoring/overly defensive play for a while, even after the World Cup which had plenty of good games. The best teams play on the front foot at the minute. We're not in an era of Italian teams deploying catenaccio to bore everyone to death or Rafas Valencia winning the league with a top scorer or 7 goals.

You're always going to get the odd turgid 0-0 but that's part of the game. With players playing more football and the increase in added time, I don't think we actually need more goals. 

When you actually spend money to travel and attend games… trust me. More goals in the games allowing you to celebrate with those around you is never a bad thing.

Also without checking is it not the in-balance of the teams that majority of goals being greater. Not because of the current offside law.

6 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

It’s not going to stop people grumbling about offsides. It just moves the line that people grumble about. Make the decision process faster and the technology more accurate (and measure it from the foot).

Of course it will. Separation is definitive. Whereas measuring a shoulder being offside when sometimes the line looks on the sleeve or elbow or wrist. The current law is the worst offside law I’ve known since watching football. It’s a joy killer. 

23 minutes ago, LFEE said:

When you actually spend money to travel and attend games… trust me. More goals in the games allowing you to celebrate with those around you is never a bad thing.

More goals is good to a point. Celebrations are as such because there's not tonnes of goals though and when you do see your team score a glut, it seems special.  You'd get less last minute late 1-0 winners aswell, which are special in their own right. Perfect the way it is imo.  

I’ll leave it with this. You all may or may not of seen it and it’s just one of many many examples over the last couple of years around the world that’s killed a bit of the love of the game for me…

Dunk’s headed goal against Everton earlier this season disallowed after 5min VAR check. I want that and any other goals like it allowed and this new rule will do that within a matter of moments.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

I genuinely don't see what this changes except the fundamentals of defending.

How will it be any quicker to determine? Lines will still be drawn and will sometimes be extremely close requiring the long stoppages we're now used to.

Won't there just be one line needed though? If there's a gap behind the striker, he's offside. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Won't there just be one line needed though? If there's a gap behind the striker, he's offside. 

No you need a line for the part playing the player onside and the part of the player that looks to be offside.

Only thing that changes is what body parts constitute offside. You still need lines.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think that's wishful thinking like. The pedantic line for offside just moves, that's all. Meanwhile, have you thought about the repurcussions of this? eg defences no longer ever playing a high line?

What did they do before this incarnation of the offside rule? I remember when we had the likes of Bellamy and Dyer, they'd show a replay on the TV, Andy Gray would say, "there's no daylight there" goal would stand and all was good. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No you need a line for the part playing the player onside and the part of the player that looks to be offside.

Only thing that changes is what body parts constitute offside. You still need lines.

That's still going to be a lot easier to see. If a striker is still offside with the new interpretation then it's great defending/poor attacking play. 

Being offside by an armpit is more luck that judgement.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

That's still going to be a lot easier to see. If a striker is still offside with the new interpretation then it's great defending/poor attacking play. 

Being offside by an armpit is more luck that judgement.

You change the fundamental aspect of offside though. Players won't try to be level - they'll try to leave their big toe onside. It will always involve a small element of luck

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

More goals is good to a point. Celebrations are as such because there's not tonnes of goals though and when you do see your team score a glut, it seems special.  You'd get less last minute late 1-0 winners aswell, which are special in their own right. Perfect the way it is imo.  

Even this is gradually becoming desensitised imo, on account of it happening so much now, and most games going on and on and on and on, routinely concluding closer to the 100th minute than the 90th minute. Play until they score.

46 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You change the fundamental aspect of offside though. Players won't try to be level - they'll try to leave their big toe onside. It will always involve a small element of luck

The whole point of the offside law was to stop goal-hanging though? 

I can see why this would be easier and faster to judge and I haven't put nearly as much thought into it as someone like Wenger, but it really does seem ripe for unintended consequences. 

4 hours ago, LFEE said:

Not at all. It will be able to decide easily. Rather than trying to work out which body part is intersecting and if it’s a goal scorning body part. The amount of goals disallowed when 2 players are essentially stood beside each other is ridiculous and was never the intention of the offside rule in the first place (to stop goal hanging).

I also think forcing both teams to defend a little deeper will stop the better teams will create more space in midfield and allow the weaker teams not to be suffocated and park the bus as they can have their forwards pushed to the defence line to spring any offside trap. The fact you thought I’ve not thought about the repercussions when I’m old enough to remember when this new law was the actual original law and know it worked better for the overall game than anything that’s come after it I hope puts that to bed. You’ll still have some teams playing a high line if it suits their players but the level of jeopardy of them doing so is greater on them.

I’ll guarantee you’ll get more goals scored. 

I didn't say or think that you definitely hadn't thought about it, I asked whether you had because imo the obvious change - that defences will sit back more often and there'll be less pressing - is a hugely negative change that will come about because of this change, without the main thing it's supposed to be for (to make offsides quicker and easier to call) not being solved in any meaningful sense. 

I don't think football needs more goals to be honest. That would be fixing something that isn't broken. 

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

What did they do before this incarnation of the offside rule? I remember when we had the likes of Bellamy and Dyer, they'd show a replay on the TV, Andy Gray would say, "there's no daylight there" goal would stand and all was good. 

The incarnation of offside hasn't changed since I've been watching football like, I've never known that whole daylight thing to actually apply. If a player was even partially ahead when the ball was played then it was offside. 

What sensors are in the ball that judge whether it's crossed the line for a goal?

Get a load of those and stick one under each player's ballsack. Make them judge positioning relative to eachother.

That's the fix.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

The incarnation of offside hasn't changed since I've been watching football like, I've never known that whole daylight thing to actually apply. If a player was even partially ahead when the ball was played then it was offside. 

It was part of a "give the attacker the benefit of the doubt" interpretation. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I didn't say or think that you definitely hadn't thought about it, I asked whether you had because imo the obvious change - that defences will sit back more often and there'll be less pressing - is a hugely negative change that will come about because of this change, without the main thing it's supposed to be for (to make offsides quicker and easier to call) not being solved in any meaningful sense. 

I don't think football needs more goals to be honest. That would be fixing something that isn't broken. 

Yeah but what you gain with the new offside rule you’d lose when they finally sort the handball rule out that’s giving teams so many goals on a plate.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Daylight lasted about 1 month in practice.

What is daylight quantifiable? 

I like the fact offside is a hard rule. It increases consistency. It just needs to be done quickly at the highest level.

Daylight was the law for decades. Where you been?

City playing four preseason games in the US against Celtic, Milan, Barcelona, and Chelsea. 

The Chelsea game is at Ohio State University's 102k capacity stadium.

Chelsea doing six games, including Celtic at Notre Dame Stadium (Rudy) and Real Madrid in Charlotte, NC.

Football definitely doesn't need more goals like, absolutely not. One of the best parts of the game is that it's a low scoring game and because of that there are so many aspects of the game that become so important and enjoyable. 

8 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

City playing four preseason games in the US against Celtic, Milan, Barcelona, and Chelsea. 

The Chelsea game is at Ohio State University's 102k capacity stadium.

Chelsea doing six games, including Celtic at Notre Dame Stadium (Rudy) and Real Madrid in Charlotte, NC.

We're playing Arsenal and Liverpool. 

I absolutely despite playing league rivals in preseason. :lol: