Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

Stopping the clock is the only way to stop referee's being influenced by things like a certain classless, unhinged German manager shouting in the faces of officials, and for that reason I'm sure the PL will be 100% against it.

They can't favour certain teams without being able to have a level of subjection.

I don't see any issues with a stop clock.

46 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Don’t get me started on the stopclock brigade. Folk who want the clock to pause at any ‘non active’ play. 

Footballs always been about 60 odd mins of in play time. It’s fine.

:lol: Please tell me one negative thing about stopping the clock?

Edited by Pata

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

You would have to change the 45 minute per half format which is currently perfectly fine.

45 minute half is an instrumental part of football? And it appears to not be fine when they have to add some time to it.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

You would have to change the 45 minute per half format which is currently perfectly fine.

It appears that the higher ups at Fifa believe that it isn't perfectly fine if they're having to change the rules on stoppage time.

If the choices are the officials being able to have even more of a say to influence games, or having a more structured game that enforces time and leaves less allowance for favouritism would you really take the former?

The only problem with the way added time is done at the moment, is the blatant double standards evidenced by Liverpool as the most obvious case, getting 9 minutes against us, and something like 18 minutes in one game towards the end of the season (only when they need the time of course).

This will just make that problem worse.

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

45 minute half is an instrumental part of football? And it appears to not be fine when they have to add some time to it.

I don't think something needs to be an instrumental part of the game for us to not needlessly fuck around with it.

A team drops points and the fans moan on about the opposition wasting a record breaking amount of time, and how we need to change the rules. Someone looks into the stats and finds out the ball was in play like 2 minutes less than the average. Teams will still waste time as it breaks momentum.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

37 minutes ago, Pata said:

:lol: Please tell me one negative thing about stopping the clock?

Shearer-style trapping the ball in the corner will become a major facet of the game.

Progressing the ball up the pitch in as few seconds as possible via tightly organised sequences of throw ins will be raised up to an art form. As a spectator the game will be far slower and more boring, even if 'officially' the minutes spent out of play won't have happened.

I wish people would stop trying to 'fix' the most popular fucking sport in the world. 

VAR was enough of a change and needs to be sorted with a properly integrated hawkeye style system. These proposed changes to offside and stoppage times are just farcical. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Just off to the match dear, I'll be back some time between 3 and 6 hours depending on stoppages and public transport. 

Is the public transport really that bad in the UK?

There's so many things to fix in football despite the popularity tho. The importance of penalties, handball rule and time-wasting just few on-pitch things to name.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

And it's not an exaggeration to say that night time games that would normally end at say 10pm would result in huge swathes of people leaving early if it meant missing the last chance of getting home 

Matches wouldn't take significantly longer to finish with a stopped clock.

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's a short-sighted idea that will actually encourage time wasting

How's that even possible compared to what we have now?

I'm just saying that if you want to reduce fake injuries, stopping the clock is the logical solution instead of adding 10-15 minutes of added time to the 90 minutes (which results in longer games). If people are happy to spend their time watching Joelinton and Longstaff sit on the pitch, nothing needs to happen I guess.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

I'm just saying that if you want to reduce fake injuries, stopping the clock is the logical solution instead of adding 10-15 minutes of added time to the 90 minutes (which results in longer games). If people are happy to spend their time watching Joelinton and Longstaff sit on the pitch, nothing needs to happen I guess.

Because time wasting no longer technically exists in that system. Players are free to go down, slow down play and break momentum as much as they want because the time will be added. And that's the main reason for it - breaking the opposition's momentum, not time wasting.

What we have now is a game that is already on average 50-60 minutes long, so what's the point. To give Man City (currently the only team in the league averaging 60 minutes) another advantage. All in the name of yet more the same fairness (pedantry and officiousness) that I'd guess the majority of football fans are sick to the back teeth of.

Ultimately if Luton are playing at the Etihad they're going to want to make the game as brutal (and boring) as possible. I don't see how the sport is improved by stopping them?

Top teams being frustrated and dropping points is necessary, the fact Man City keep pissing the league and cups suggests we need more stuff like this, not less.

18 minutes ago, Pata said:

There are no rules that will fix time wasting and associated phenomena. They can only really shift the incentives around for who, how and when it's done.

It's a cultural problem which, given the money and glory given to those who succeed with a win at all costs mentality, isn't likely to get fixed any time soon.

Once, faking injuries was seen as shameful and humiliating. Now it's treated as smart game management. As long as that's the case, it's here to stay.

Why does it seem like every season there's a big change in the rules of the game in the PL? We always seem to be adjusting to some change in the first few games every year.