The Round of 16

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Genuinely the loudest noise I've made all tournament when that chance fell to Kuol. :lol:

This World Cup is constant entertainment now, like. Really enjoyed that 20.

Same. :lol:

Had palpations afterwards. 

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Other than a completely freak goal and a few studs up challenges Aussies offered nowt in that game tbh. Fair play to them for getting this far though.

Absolute stain on Denmark’s name; should be barred from a tournament of two as punishment.

I legitimately thought Argentina where decent, and controlled the game throughout and deservedly went through, certainly think they could be there at the end of the thing.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Argentina are not good though, are they? Feels like they know it.

It feels like every single team is flawed somewhere. Three of the four best teams have all already lost! 

No idea which way this thing is going tbh. Certainly not ruling England out.

Proud of Australia. We pushed a tournament favourite to the last minute. We were never going to dominate possession or create a heap of chances. Our team is full of championship, A-league and SPL players. And yes, I nearly died when Garang had that chance.  

I think if England don't win it I'd quite like Argentina to win to tbh. Would be lush for Messi to close his career by lifting it.

Not sure they will as Brazil look better but they're 3 wins away and I think there's enough talent there to win it. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

No idea which way this thing is going tbh. Certainly not ruling England out.

I don't know about that, the way Southgate sets the team up at tournaments to be cagey and 'not lose' instead of 'to win' by playing to our strength in attack, I'm still doubtful whoever we play against.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yes, they’re a sprightly bunch.  Made hard work of Australia, lost to KSA, every one of their best players the wrong side of 30

The Dutch will beat these comfortably 

Messi and Di Maria are old but still good. Otamendi too but I don't think it matters, he's still the same.

Australia scored with a shot that would've been 20 yards wide and high and got few chances from loose balls and and one once-in-a-lifetime run while Argies missed a sitter after sitter. Argies the favourites against Netherlands imo.

1 minute ago, aussiemag said:

Proud of Australia. We pushed a tournament favourite to the last minute. We were never going to dominate possession or create a heap of chances. Our team is full of championship, A-league and SPL players. And yes, I nearly died when Garang had that chance.  

Aye, your lads did well considering where they play. Garang will hopefully be your (and our) Messi.

You don't have to look good at the this stage of the tournament though, it's about getting the job done. In 1998 France didn't show up until that semis. Italy required a dive to beat Australia at this stage in 2006 and Germany needed penalties to best Algeria in 2014. 

Just now, NEEJ said:
4 minutes ago, Flip said:

Ah right, the tournament no one except them actually cared about. :thup: Fake competition.

Just a hint of salt in the air. :lol:

Some Argentinian sod attacked Neymar with pepper after the game to make it look like he cared too. 

54E86FB4-A6F9-4EEB-A007-0DCA4DB188B5.thumb.jpeg.a0a89086306461b14632ac3b2f7130a9.jpeg

Just now, midds said:

I think if England don't win it I'd quite like Argentina to win to tbh. Would be lush for Messi to close his career by lifting it.

Not sure they will as Brazil look better but they're 3 wins away and I think there's enough talent there to win it. 

I’d like to see a new name on the trophy. The Dutch would be the obvious one, but it would be great to see an Asian or African team do it - not sure if Japan can repeat the group games four more times, but I’d love it if they did.  I think they’ll beat Croatia anyway