The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

12 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

While winning isn't absolutely essential tonight in terms of CL, I would say it IS essential from a momentum and mentality point of view.

It would be amazing, but I can see us losing tonight and still beating Leicester and Chelsea. 

People always underestimate the importance of fixture strength in football. We talk a lot about form and momentum when sometimes it’s just easier games. 

I have just noticed how according to the poll of this thread only 3% thought we would make it to top four. 97% of you didn’t believe it at the beginning of the season. This is just a reminder of how we have been overachieving anyways. 

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It would be amazing, but I can see us losing tonight and still beating Leicester and Chelsea. 

People always underestimate the importance of fixture strength in football. We talk a lot about form and momentum when sometimes it’s just easier games. 

"There are no easy games" (but we know some are much easier ;)).

2 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

I have just noticed how according to the poll of this thread only 3% thought we would make it to top four. 97% of you didn’t believe it at the beginning of the season. This is just a reminder of how we have been overachieving anyways. 

I think there was also some false modesty. I said I'd be happy just to be in with a shout of Europa come Easter time. I actually thought given our form since January and an improving squad we should be aiming for that and it was more than just a possibility.

Never thought top 4 mind ya.

Edited by madras

18 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

I hate the word overachieving to describe our season. It's probably not meant this way, but it makes it sound like we've been fortunate when by pretty much any measure we have been one of the 3 or 4 best teams in the league this season.

If Liverpool performed to their levels, Chelsea, Spurs etc. we are probably a little further away. Just in terms of points gained if anything else. At least 9 from those lot and we may end up with 12.

And ultimately if we fall short, only getting 7 or so points from the actual top 6 teams will be a big factor as to why we didn't get over the line. 

29 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah I know, I guess I still didn't believe it would be permanent. 

Same.

\

24 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I hate the word overachieving to describe our season. It's probably not meant this way, but it makes it sound like we've been fortunate when by pretty much any measure we have been one of the 3 or 4 best teams in the league this season.

Aye. This is why I say not getting top 4 now would be a big disappointment. We've shown that form for 16 months and then fallen away when it really mattered. We have strengths and weaknesses but I do consider us a genuine top side this season in the same manner I don't consider Chelsea a top side this season. We've earned it on the pitch, they have not. That's why even if we don't beat Brighton, I still expect us to get 6 points from the remaining 2 fixtures.

We'll target 9. And get them. 

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If Liverpool performed to their levels, Chelsea, Spurs etc. we are probably a little further away. Just in terms of points gained if anything else. At least 9 from those lot and we may end up with 12.

And ultimately if we fall short, only getting 7 or so points from the actual top 6 teams will be a big factor as to why we didn't get over the line. 

But people only have expectations or past history, not any kind of right to be in a particular position. We've seen Everton nearly get relegated, we've seen Brighton smash people all over. 

All you can do is run the club well and see what happens.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I was just hoping for mid table mediocrity without the threat of relegation for once [emoji38]

I think I said i'd be happy with 8th to 10th, without ever being in real danger of going down and maybe a decent cup run :lol:

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

I think I said i'd be happy with 8th to 10th, without ever being in real danger of going down and maybe a decent cup run :lol:

You now like me in the sense that not making the CL would be gut-wrenching? Mad season tbh, I'm just finally glad we've eclipsed that Pardew season.

I was mindful of not being able to continue the momentum from the back end of last season and was expecting a bit of a levelling out and expected a bit of disappointment from people and snideness from the media if we punched just below that.

World of difference if we were 5th pushing for top 4 right now as opposed to being ours to lose.