The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

37 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm not overly convinced with Ten Hag. Doesn't seem a great man manager from the outside looking in, plus he's another whining cunt. 

From the inside, he's a fantastic man manager. 

He's a quality manager. He's pretty much got his own team now. So more pressure on him this season. 

9 minutes ago, Froggy said:

From the inside, he's a fantastic man manager. 

He's a quality manager. He's pretty much got his own team now. So more pressure on him this season. 

Big season for him, finishing 3rd and winning the league cup is the bare minimum for Man United really, be interesting to see if he can improve on that.

Really dont think its insane to think Spurs could get relegated without Kane. He scored almost half of their total goals and they were lucky to get as many points as they got.

If they get off to a bad start and the atmosphere gets toxic who knows what can happen.

Just now, duo said:

It is stating the obvious but the 1st five games will define our season.

In a sense that if we do well we’re on a roll but if they don’t because of how difficult they are, we’ll turn it around with the games that come after.

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

In a sense that if we do well we’re on a roll but if they don’t because of how difficult they are, we’ll turn it around with the games that come after.

In that it'll define what is a realistic target.  Chelsea and Liverpool can't have a season as bad as last so they'll definitely be in and around.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think the Maguire treatment was garbage tbh. Even if he didn't want him, the way he's handled him compared to Howe and Lascelles for example. Chalk and cheese. 

Aye. Your manager is soft. Ten Hag isn't. Lascelles being kept as captain is a complete cop out in my opinion and doesn't deserve any praise. Your captain needs to be on the pitch. 

Why on earth would you have somebody who is 5th choice as your captain? Ten Hag never said anything negative about him. Never said he didn't want him. Praised his character and his ability. All he did was give the captaincy to Fernandes.

If there's one thing that Eddie isn't, it's soft. He had Wood straight out the door, replaced by Isak even though he'd only signed Wood 6 months earlier for a large fee, disciplined Gordon after his tantrum against Brentford and had Maxi out the door for not fitting into his system. Similarly he's made our most talented players wait until they understand his system completely before allowing them into the team. Lascelles is currently one of our four centre back options, that's why he's still here.

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Lascelles is currently one of our four centre back options, that's why he's still here

Him being part of the squad is fine, but your captain needs to be on the pitch in my opinion. 

Also, I've said many times before I'm actually a big fan of Howe and have been for a long time. So obviously a lack of knowledge of my part in terms of his steel but I always seen him as one of those coaches who is mates with the players. Similar to Solskjaer, the difference being that Eddie is a tactical astute manager as well. 

Not that it cost us last season but we still have the same perceived weaknesses in the team and squad as we had then. Pope is probably the worst keeper in the premier league with the ball at his feet,  we don't have a good attacking LB and most people aren't sure we have a particularly good LB at all. We have no defensive midfielder which means Bruno has to play there and that's a bit of a waste. RW options are limited unless Almiron goes mad again. Wilson is the only CF in the squad and although Isak can probably play as a Number 9 that's not allowing him to play to his strengths.

If we can continue to press teams like we did last season and start converting more of the many chances we missed, none of the above probably matters.

10 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Aye. Your manager is soft. Ten Hag isn't. Lascelles being kept as captain is a complete cop out in my opinion and doesn't deserve any praise. Your captain needs to be on the pitch. 

Why on earth would you have somebody who is 5th choice as your captain? Ten Hag never said anything negative about him. Never said he didn't want him. Praised his character and his ability. All he did was give the captaincy to Fernandes.

with all due respect my man, but fuck out of here with that soft shit about Eddie. 

your club captain was hated by your own fans and any time he did anything wrong the press hounded him and killed him for it. You didn’t want him as captain and you all wanted him gone out the club.  

jamaal is our club captain and trippier is the on field. Dan burn is also part of the leadership group. We don’t have personalities (yet) that out shine our collective like your club. 

10 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Also, I've said many times before I'm actually a big fan of Howe and have been for a long time. So obviously a lack of knowledge of my part in terms of his steel but I always seen him as one of those coaches who is mates with the players. Similar to Solskjaer, the difference being that Eddie is a tactical astute manager as well. 

No. Not in the slightest. Genuinely surprised you'd think that.

2 hours ago, Displayname said:

Really dont think its insane to think Spurs could get relegated without Kane. He scored almost half of their total goals and they were lucky to get as many points as they got.

If they get off to a bad start and the atmosphere gets toxic who knows what can happen.

It’s insane.  

Our biggest weakness is a lack of depth and speed in defence. We look to be sorting that out. 

And offensively we lack quality and depth. Arsenal are a level above us but you look at their attacking options - Jesus, Nketiah, Trossard, Havertz, Odegaard, Martinelli, Saka and one of ESR or Balogun might stay. That’s 7/8 attacking players with real threat. You think 5 or more of them could score 10+ this season.  

We’ve got Wilson, Isak, Barnes, Gordon, Almiron, Murphy, Joelinton, Willock.  It’s not the same level.  

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s insane.  

Our biggest weakness is a lack of depth and speed in defence. We look to be sorting that out. 

And offensively we lack quality and depth. Arsenal are a level above us but you look at their attacking options - Jesus, Nketiah, Trossard, Havertz, Odegaard, Martinelli, Saka and one of ESR or Balogun might stay. That’s 7/8 attacking players with real threat. You think 5 or more of them could score 10+ this season.  

We’ve got Wilson, Isak, Barnes, Gordon, Almiron, Murphy, Joelinton, Willock.  It’s not the same level.  

To add - Arsenal have spent a lot of money on their attack. But it’s the academy underpinning the quality. We’ve spent £80m on Gordon and Barnes. Arsenal have saved themselves £200m with Martinelli and Saka coming through the academy system. In 5 years we’ll start seeing that. 

33 minutes ago, Kanji said:

your club captain was hated by your own fans and any time he did anything wrong the press hounded him and killed him for it. You didn’t want him as captain and you all wanted him gone out the club.  

This is all true, but Ten Hag did nothing but defend him in the media. So this whole "Ten Hag's treatment of Maguire was garage" narrative is beyond silly. Ten Hag's management of players in the media is brilliant. 

28 minutes ago, 80 said:

No. Not in the slightest. Genuinely surprised you'd think that.

I've followed Howe for years. I wanted him to take over at us for a long time. :lol:

Obviously personalities can adapt, but that's the impression I always got from him at Bournemouth. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

To add - Arsenal have spent a lot of money on their attack. But it’s the academy underpinning the quality. We’ve spent £80m on Gordon and Barnes. Arsenal have saved themselves £200m with Martinelli and Saka coming through the academy system. In 5 years we’ll start seeing that. 

Im pretty sure they bought Martinelli as an 18 year old, so they saved money but he's not a product of their academy

Yeah Martinell is no more of an Academy graduate than Yakubah Minteh would be for us. They signed him for £6 million as an 18 year old. Great piece of scouting but not an academy player.

Edited by ponsaelius

6 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Im pretty sure they bought Martinelli as an 18 year old, so they saved money but he's not a product of their academy

True. But the point stands. Saved a lot of money by identifying elite young talent. Hopefully our lad at Feyenoord can be the start of that. 

It’s the compounding of being an elite club for decades. Similar with Saliba. 

Edited by The College Dropout