The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

614 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

The draws have changed the math with Germany and England now having higher max scores than Italy, though both can't hit their max since there are two head-to-head matchups.

If either West Ham or Arsenal win I think it will be pretty much job done for England.

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I like the Conference League. 

And yes any PL club in it has a great chance of winning it. For the likes of Villa and West Ham, it’s the only competition they are ever likely to be in where they will be favourites. Same for us - this decade at least.  

We’d have a bus parade if we won it. Of course it’s a serious cup. 

Its just a re worded  Intertoto Cup,and who won that?

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:
28 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Its just a re worded  Intertoto Cup,and who won that?

It's nothing like the Intertoto Cup like. More Cup Winners Cup standard. 

Why do people keep saying this? :lol:

The Intertoto Cup was a preliminary qualifier for the UEFA Cup contained entirely in pre-season. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Why do people keep saying this? :lol:

The Intertoto Cup was a preliminary qualifier for the UEFA Cup contained entirely in pre-season. 

This. None of these competitions are anything like the Intertoto Cup. 

Look. If no one else has the cojones to say it I will.

I hope we forfeit our spot if we get the conference league. It's just an unnecessary distraction to getting in to the prettier parts of Europe. 

Europa Conference would be class. You'd get to the last 8 playing a fringe XI so could rest the A-listers so they're not playing twice a week, and the fringe players get important minutes throughout the season. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Europa Conference would be class. You'd get to the last 8 playing a fringe XI so could rest the A-listers so they're not playing twice a week, and the fringe players get important minutes throughout the season. 

Totally agree. It's the perfect nursery pool for us IMO. Extra games but of a lower standard. 

Away to FCwhothefuck in Europe are exactly the sorts of games where Lascelles, Longstaff, Murphy can get a game. Save the class lads for the bread and butter of the PL.

2 hours ago, STM said:

Totally agree. It's the perfect nursery pool for us IMO. Extra games but of a lower standard. 

Away to FCwhothefuck in Europe are exactly the sorts of games where Lascelles, Longstaff, Murphy can get a game. Save the class lads for the bread and butter of the PL.

I’m all for it, blood the team including the young uns and some squad players, and Eddie into 2 games a week, build our European co-efficient and hopefully break our duck and claim a trophy. This isn’t something to turn our noses up to. Knowing us we’d fuck it up though, West Ham win in 2023, Villa win in 2024 and then we shoot ourselves in the foot and miss out on a trophy.

4 hours ago, STM said:

And class away trips for the supporters too. 

7 hours ago, wormy said:

Look. If no one else has the cojones to say it I will.

I hope we forfeit our spot if we get the conference league. It's just an unnecessary distraction to getting in to the prettier parts of Europe. 

Not only is this not the case, it even has the advantage of increasing the club’s coefficients which would mean that any future European Cup qualification would see more money paid in prizes. 

It's a third tier tournament, just like the domestic Full Members cup back in the day. Someone said it was on par with the old Cup Winners Cup, which is bollocks as you actually had to win something in the first place to get into it. I wouldn't mind being in it but I'd use it as a platform to play the fringe players only. If we won I'd put in on par with our Texaco and Anglo Italian cup wins in the early 70s.

4 hours ago, Beth said:

It's a third tier tournament, just like the domestic Full Members cup back in the day. Someone said it was on par with the old Cup Winners Cup, which is bollocks as you actually had to win something in the first place to get into it. I wouldn't mind being in it but I'd use it as a platform to play the fringe players only. If we won I'd put in on par with our Texaco and Anglo Italian cup wins in the early 70s.

Look at the clubs in the latter years of the CWC. When Chelsea won it in one of the last years, they had the likes of Tromso...Stuttgart being one of the most difficult teams that year.

Our one season in it, we'd just finished 13th.

The very last CWC, was Lazio v Mallorca in the final. Their runs had been:

LAZIO:  (7th in Italian League)

Lausanne-Sport (3rd in Swiss League)

Partizan Belgrade (3rd in Yugoslavian League)

Panionios (11th in Greek League)

Chelsea (4th in English League)

REAL MALLORCA: (5th in Spanish League)

Hearts (3rd in Scottish League)

Genk (2nd in Belgian League)

Varteks (10th in Croatian League)

Loko Moscow (3rd in Russian League)

Most of those clubs would be in Euro Conference through league placings these days (3rd in the likes of the Scottish, Belgian, Swiss Leagues etc normally struggle to make the Europa League Proper and drop down into the Europa Conference for instance).

Was so surprised it only needed 8 games to reach the final.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

4 hours ago, Beth said:

No, it’s more like a European League Cup.  The Texaco Cup were never recognised competitions

We should absolutely be wanting any European football.

Fuck, even if just for Howe to get experience in European football and improve.

Would also be our best chance of a trophy.

7 hours ago, Beth said:

As is the case for the Conference League. Qualification is based entirely on merit, i.e. domestic cup wins and league placing. That's the total opposite of the likes of the Anglo-Italian Cup, which featured mostly bottom half, second division and (for a few years) semi-pro sides.

9 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, it’s more like a European League Cup.  The Texaco Cup were never recognised competitions

It's not though is it.

CL = FA Cup

EL = League Cup

ECL= PapaJohns Cup

1 hour ago, Beth said:

It's not though is it.

CL = FA Cup

EL = League Cup

ECL= PapaJohns Cup

None of those competitions are equivalents of one another (unless you can point me to Maidstone United's Champions League opposite number...?) But in any case, the Papa Johns Cup is comprised of all teams from the third tier, fourth tier and Under-21 divisions. Participation is guaranteed. The Conference League is merit-based and comprised of domestic cup winners and First Division high finishers (e.g. Villa, Frankfurt, Fiorentina, etc).

2 hours ago, Beth said:

It's not though is it.

CL = FA Cup

EL = League Cup

ECL= PapaJohns Cup

If you think that the European Cup is the European equivalent of the FA Cup, then there’s little more I can write.  Bloody hell … :)