The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

33 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

It's not listed yet, postponed. 

Still exists though. We need to play each other, that's quite a big factor in this race for Europe.

18 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

They can get results when they play dogshit every week. We've struggled to get results regardless of whether we were playing well or not. HOWEVER these last 3 game we have managed to get  decent points return even if we've not been playing our best stuff across those games, so there's some hope yet.

As far as I'm concerned we're right in it. Aside from some horrible run of results for us, I see us in it to the death.

37 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

As far as I'm concerned we're right in it. Aside from some horrible run of results for us, I see us in it to the death.

I still see Man U as favourites for 6th, but there is no reason why we cannot get 7th. Beat Brighton and that's them out of the running and West Ham and Chelsea have a much harder run in than us. 

Against the rest of the top 10.

P15, Pts 19

Against the bottom 10.

P16, Pts 28

Last season our record against teams outside the top 7 was excellent other than the annoying number of draws.

Just feels like we need to be averaging 2.2-2.3 points per game against the bottom half teams, difference between 8th and a serious top 4 challenge.

Can only assume people thinking Man Utd are a shoe in for 6th haven't watched them play this season. They're not a good team. 

If we finished 6th this season think it's arguably a more impressive season than last year, would be very happy with that, just need to get a bit of a run going. Get Pope back soon, and we can do it. 

I would agree.

At this point last season - i as confident 4th would be ours. I wouldn't have taken 5th.

Also it might be a little small time but finishing above Man U would be delicious and I believe a first in the PL era. The only team in the football pyramid we've not finished above in the PL era.

Man U will end up on 59-61 points. I don't know how or where but they will. We can match them on that.

The worst thing about a top 6-7th race is that none of the teams are that good. I don't think any of us are about to win 5 in a row. A 4-game win streak would land it for any of the teams in the running... and that also doesn't seem likely. The type of teams to beat Arsenal at home and lose to Forest at home. Hard to predict game to game.

21 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

Lucky is an understatement.

Or unlucky, given the amount of injuries we've had. Or does that only apply to teams in black and white? 

6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Or unlucky, given the amount of injuries we've had. Or does that only apply to teams in black and white? 

I don't think our injuries are unlucky now, there's clearly something wrong.

8 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

I don't think our injuries are unlucky now, there's clearly something wrong.

Same to be honest. :lol: too many muscle injuries.

Could be the fact Ten Hag asks everyone to sprint up and down the pitch 400 times a game. 

I have us and Chelsea on the same points going into the final game.

Our good goal difference could be crucial.

I'm perhaps being a little kind to Chelsea mind, since they couldn't beat SU yesterday.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I have us and Chelsea on the same points going into the final game.

Our good goal difference could be crucial.

I'm perhaps being a little kind to Chelsea mind, since they couldn't beat SU yesterday.

Chelsea are very random. You can't predict what they will do. They've got results against City, Liverpool, Man U, Spurs etc. and drawn and lost to some dross.

Us, Man U... similar teams really. Can score goals but also loose at the back.,

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Chelsea are very random. You can't predict what they will do. They've got results against City, Liverpool, Man U, Spurs etc. and drawn and lost to some dross.

Us, Man U... similar teams really. Can score goals but also loose at the back.,

We have scored almost 50% more goals than man u (65 vs 45). They are insanely lucky to be where they are in the table. 

22 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

We have scored almost 50% more goals than man u (65 vs 45). They are insanely lucky to be where they are in the table. 

But they are so consistent with the jamminess. I don't expect it to end.

Their overperformance of Expected Points is inevitable.

17 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

There's no luck over a full season. You are where you deserve to be. 

You scored 4 goals against Luton and drew the game. Looking at goals scored as a reason why you should be higher is silly. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

But they are so consistent with the jamminess. I don't expect it to end.

Their overperformance of Expected Points is inevitable.

Expected my bollocks. Do you get less expected points when you have to play 27 different back four combinations in a season or is that ignored. 

10 minutes ago, Froggy said:

You scored 4 goals against Luton and drew the game. Looking at goals scored as a reason why you should be higher is silly. 

There is luck over a full season like. 38 games is enough to generally have you where you're "supposed" to be but it's still a relatively small sample statistically speaking. 

The top 3 have all had excellent seasons. Luck won't be the only factor in who ends up winning it but if they all continue as they are then it will end up being a big contributing factor. 

There's more to football than statistics and variance. But it's not an area to fully discount. 

while Man U have been badly hit by injuries, they just look like a poorly coached team most of the time and rely on individual brilliance to bail them out over and over without needing to play well 

if Bruno Fernandes gets injured for any significant period I think they'll be really screwed

I've watched enough of them this season and could probably count on one hand the number of times they've deserved to win

most of their jammy wins by one poxy goal too - their gd is pathetic and must be one or the worst ever for a top 6 team at this stage of the season 

25 minutes ago, Froggy said:

When you are consistently outperforming your goal difference and all of the underlying stats there is definitely an element of luck / good fortune.

When it's sustained for multiple seasons there is probably also an element of skill in winning games. It's hard to draw where that line is.

The 5th place finish under Pardew convinced me that a team can spawn it for a whole season. We got that place and were underwhelming as fuck for most of it, it never happened before and it's not happened since, it was a continuous run of luck/breaks that went in our favour and we won points and games we absolutely shouldn't have. We did win them but it was a false position, there was no foundation to it, it wasn't representative of performances 

11 minutes ago, midds said:

The 5th place finish under Pardew convinced me that a team can spawn it for a whole season. We got that place and were underwhelming as fuck for most of it, it never happened before and it's not happened since, it was a continuous run of luck/breaks that went in our favour and we won points and games we absolutely shouldn't have. We did win them but it was a false position, there was no foundation to it, it wasn't representative of performances 

Good players still playing as they were originally trained at their previous clubs. The longer they were here and got Pardew'd the more it went tits up.

37 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

while Man U have been badly hit by injuries, they just look like a poorly coached team most of the time and rely on individual brilliance to bail them out over and over without needing to play well 

if Bruno Fernandes gets injured for any significant period I think they'll be really screwed

I've watched enough of them this season and could probably count on one hand the number of times they've deserved to win

most of their jammy wins by one poxy goal too - their gd is pathetic and must be one or the worst ever for a top 6 team at this stage of the season 

Fernandes getting injured would be a good thing for them, he's been dross for months and I think Mount is a better player.

9 hours ago, Cf said:

Can only assume people thinking Man Utd are a shoe in for 6th haven't watched them play this season. They're not a good team. 

They’re unbelievably lucky.