League Cup Semi Final: Southampton (a)/(h) on Tuesday 24th/31st January at 8pm (Sky)

Been looking at their fixtures before the semis 1st and 2nd leg..

Everton A

Villa H

Newcastle H

Blackpool H

Newcastle A

I think momentum is something important for them. They won against City on the back of a probably unexpected away win against Palace in the FA Cup a few days earlier.

They have a struggling Lampard Everton this weekend at Goodison where the crowd factor might help them pull off a result. Then a shaky or unpredictable Villa at home before the 1st leg. 

Win both games or avoid defeat, their league position might be healthier and they'll go into the St.Mary's leg on a high. Any negative results in both, and their league position would be bad and their priorities would be difficult to handle.

Similarly, that Blackpool tie could give them a headache. If they need a result at SJP, they'll probably need a reserve team for the FA Cup. If we get into a healthy lead from the 1st leg, probably they can put a decent team against Blackpool, who remember, dismantled Forest in the last round, something Southampton probably don't want to happen to them and harm their confidence.

Having said all that though, we too have tricky games. We need to keep the momentum up now, put chances away, find a way past Fulham and Palace. Keeping the expectations realistic but at the same time, doing the job as hoped is also something Howe will definitely instill into the players from now.

I certainly don't think we should assume that we're playing the Southampton of November just gone. They might not have changed much in overall quality but, as we all know, confidence and momentum can count for a lot. 

Having said that, we're more than capable of winning at their place and should that play out, then we ought to do enough in the home leg to progress to Wembley. (Just typing that feels brand new to me!) 

And, if the likely scenario plays out and we face Moan Utd there, we need to be in peak condition. But also carry on picking up points in the league. Therein lies the challenge for Eddie & co I guess! 

I will say - whatever happens, this is already a feather in this team's cap. This competition has been next to a non-event for us for so long - now look! 

24 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Over the moon with how this competition is going for us. Never imagined City would be dumped out. Will be difficult no doubt, but can't argue things are really going our way here.

And they dump Scousers out before getting dumped out

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

IF  we get to the final, wonder how many people would travel down even without a ticket. Think there might be a Geordie takeover of Trafalgar Square?

I'm still debating whether to go to Newcastle or London, its hard to decide like. Need to obviously get past Southampton first but because its only next month you kinda want to look at hotels and that soon. Free cancellations and pay on arrival obviously incase we lose the semi. 

16 minutes ago, Decky said:

I'm still debating whether to go to Newcastle or London, its hard to decide like. Need to obviously get past Southampton first but because its only next month you kinda want to look at hotels and that soon. Free cancellations and pay on arrival obviously incase we lose the semi. 

This is my dilemma. 

The night before would be fun, as would the build up to the game. However, once the game starts, it’ll be a bit shit in a pub in London :lol:

If we were to win, everyone would be going home in dribs and drabs with their own arrangements. Meanwhile, the town would be berserk. I believe the Bigg Market in 98 and 99 (I was only a Nipper) was meant to be unreal.

Tough one.

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

This is my dilemma. 

The night before would be fun, as would the build up to the game. However, once the game starts, it’ll be a bit shit in a pub in London :lol:

If we were to win, everyone would be going home in dribs and drabs with their own arrangements. Meanwhile, the town would be berserk. I believe the Bigg Market in 98 and 99 (I was only a Nipper) was meant to be unreal.

Tough one.

Was thinking that myself. London will be class with the fans but most of them are heading to Wembley while I'm in a pub with a load of people having a normal Sunday. May as well just stay in Ireland at that rate. :lol: Gonna go to Newcastle. Think I'll just go on the Sunday and not the whole weekend though.

Just fucking beat Southampton and make it happen lads. 

18 hours ago, SteV said:

None. You lose any loyalty points if you give up your ST.

This is possibly where some arseholes I know give me the "told you so" for not holding onto my ST and subsequently losing my points. I have it back but minus the points.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Sorry people 😬  Booked my trains for the Final 😆 I’m so against tempting fate as well but just had to be done at current prices as I’ve noted them rising already 🤷‍♂️ 

My da booked hotel by Wembley after we beat Bournemouth :lol:

I've got to say, I've never been one to get too confident with us, but I am quite confident about the semis. One game anything can happen and could easily seeing us bottle it, but over two legs I do really fancy us to beat Southampton given our quality.

Re London v toon - you'd think there'd be enough toon fans about that there could be some good pubs to enjoy the match in. That plus pre ( and post?) match Trafalgar sq (and cheeky remote chance of cadging a ticket) and I'd be tempted by London. Newcastle would be class too obviously like so I'd see temptation.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

4 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

My da booked hotel by Wembley after we beat Bournemouth :lol:

I've got to say, I've never been one to get too confident with us, but I am quite confident about the semis. One game anything can happen and could easily seeing us bottle it, but over two legs I do really fancy us to beat Southampton given our quality.

Re London v toon - you'd think there'd be enough toon fans about that there could be some good pubs to enjoy the match in. That plus pre ( and post?) match Trafalgar sq (and cheeky remote chance of cadging a ticket) and I'd be tempted by London. Newcastle would be class too obviously like so I'd see temptation.

There was 1000s and 1000s of ticketless Toon fans travelled in 98 and 99. I had a ticket both times but some of my mates who travelled didn't and they said it was class. 98 was when the town got smashed up afterwards so it was probably better being in London!