Anthony Gordon

Jack27

4 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

I think Gordon will be a far better player than 100m Jack Grealish.

That’s a big statement. Grealish is a very good footballer who isn’t quite at the very top for his position. I think Gordon will be more versatile than Grealish, he already is, and he might offer more to the team but to be better than Grealish he still has a way to go

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

That’s a big statement. Grealish is a very good footballer who isn’t quite at the very top for his position. I think Gordon will be more versatile than Grealish, he already is, and he might offer more to the team but to be better than Grealish he still has a way to go

Understand what you are saying, I often think Grealish is somewhat constrained in that City team to some extent. I do think Gordon has something special and once he nails down a position he can call his own he’ll show his worth.

I love that you can see Eddie's coaching on him already. Even just the instictive way he spun back for a give and go from Joelinton for the Tonali goal.

Edited by alexf

Grealish is really good like. Gordon has looked really promising from preseason but still has to prove (not to knock, I hope he will) reliable end product. The talk about him being that level is a liiiittle premature but all signs are positive right now. 

He had one golden chance the whole game and lacked conviction to just hit it. That is the margin at the top level. We basically played what could be a Champions League knockout game tonight. 

I think against lesser opposition he’ll be decisive in games.

Just needs to keep heeding the Eddie Howe mantra - never feel too high, never feel too low.

By his mid 20s I think he'll be a clinical finisher. But I don't think it'll happen this season, or probably next.

It's dramatic how rarely he gets into rows on the pitch now though. Felt like it was every week when he was at Everton.

Just now, El Prontonise said:

Some brain dead tackles by him yesterday which weren't needed.

Very confident he will learn and adapt. It's going to take time to get the radge out of him completely.

12 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Thought he was poor. But had no help. Maybe lucky not to get sent off. 

Two tackles that were totally blown out of proportion by the commentators.  He's just a poor tackler, no malice or intent whatsoever.

Don't want to be too harsch on him but I don't like that he don't seem that quick in his decision making. I think he is very good when he got time with the ball and can clearly see his options but I often think the play goes too slow when the balls get to his feet and we need to be quick on the transition.

8 minutes ago, Civetty said:

Don't want to be too harsch on him but I don't like that he don't seem that quick in his decision making. I think he is very good when he got time with the ball and can clearly see his options but I often think the play goes too slow when the balls get to his feet and we need to be quick on the transition.

His first time ball for Tonali’s 2nd chance last week did have much time for thought tbf.

10 minutes ago, NWMag said:

His first time ball for Tonali’s 2nd chance last week did have much time for thought tbf.

Let me rephrase myself then. I don't think he is slow in taking the decisions when he see the options, as in before receiving the ball. I do feel however that he is a bit slow on register what is going on when he doesn't know where his team mates are. I guess the situational awareness that the most elite players have is what I feel that he lack little, but maybe I'm just bitter cunt that imagining myself stuff.

11 hours ago, Rod said:

Two tackles that were totally blown out of proportion by the commentators.  He's just a poor tackler, no malice or intent whatsoever.

Exactly. First one was a little unfortunate (though only seen it replayed once) as the lad seem to run across him and he caught him on the calf. The second one wasn’t even a foul. The ball was there to be won by both players and one of them was a fraction quicker getting to it. Not a foul or a booking but when players are trying to get others sent off which Diaz clearly was it always looks worse than it is. Even McCoist started to back track after he saw the replays. 

Problem you’ve got these days broadcasters tend to have commentators for certain competitions it seems. All the high end play acting must slowly have an affect on what they see as a foul. Let them commentate on a few lower division games and it might remind them football is a contact sport still.

20 minutes ago, Viana said:

I think playing Man City drew me to this conclusion, but I think he might become our Raheem Sterling.

We've signed him for a fee that was hailed as ridiculous but we see the potential to hone a young Englishmen into a direct and dynamic forward that gets into goalscoring positions regularly. He has a lot of ground to put up Raheem's numbers in his pomp, but with each game I see why we did this deal. We need an English core for a multitude of reasons, and Gordon is someone that is in that top bracket of young English forwards that will get goals. I think we've produced - as a nation - a lot of great creators, but if we can get him to become a finisher we'll have a great player on our hands, a slightly quicker version of what Jarrod Bowen offers, who himself would have cost double what Gordon did. 

That might be a bridge too far., but who knows? 

On the last two pages he's been compared to Laudrup, Rooney and Sterling ffs (oh and also ending up better than Grealish). :lol:

From one extreme to another and probably back again after a couple of poor performances. :lol:

Edited by Pata

3 hours ago, Civetty said:

Let me rephrase myself then. I don't think he is slow in taking the decisions when he see the options, as in before receiving the ball. I do feel however that he is a bit slow on register what is going on when he doesn't know where his team mates are. I guess the situational awareness that the most elite players have is what I feel that he lack little, but maybe I'm just bitter cunt that imagining myself stuff.

I wasn’t having a go, just the chance I mentioned immediately sprung to mind when reading your post. 

I think what you have said above may improve in time the longer he spends with his team mates; or he just might not be that level - only time will tell.

6 hours ago, The Prophet said:

City were more than happy for Burn to have the ball high up that pitch.

It was also a bit sad that Walker was almost all alone in that side. With attacking fullback we could have either created an overload or forced City to reshape a bit.