Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Very disappointed for him and agree with hindsight that it was a poor decision to have him step up, because clearly he wasn't psychologically strong enough in the moment to put it away. But I respect him for going for it. 

17 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Looked like he properly scuffed when see angle from behind. Unless it was a deliberate ploy to try to send him the wrong way or something 

Looked like he was trying to curl in a free kick than blast a penalty.

Just now, nufc123 said:

Goes against everything he says in interviews if true.

I haven't heard what he's said but the moment definitely got the better of him.

Thought he played really well tbf, shit penalty aside. He’s not a striker though. Our weird transfer strategy of buying a 3rd choice striker who isn’t ready to play for the first team is the issue.

As soon as I saw Pickford jumping and smacking the crossbar with his hands and staring him down, I knew Gordon wasn't going to score. The body language of the two of them was just in stark contrast. I don't think it helped they are former team mates, the pressure will have all been on Gordon.

I hate the phrase "bottled it" when it's unfairly applied but, with the best will in the world, I'm struggling to find a better way of putting it on this case. Took courage to step up of course but he's first on pens so the duty was his. He was blowing like he'd ran a marathon before he'd even put the ball on the spot; clearly had built it up way too much for him to be an effective taker.

Too much to ask, but the perfect scenario would've been him voluntarily handing over the kick to one of the others. 

Thought he had a reasonable game overall. He was definitely knocked by the penalty, but in fairness I don't think he was swallowed up by the situation, either.

He's the type who will use this as motivation and come back stronger than ever, imo. It was a shit pen, but even the very best miss one now and again. I do think he psyched himself out a bit, but I'd think if he got the opportunity again he'd bury it. Otherwise had a pretty good game. Some nice turns, good link up play and always running. Shame he's having to play as a striker right now, but that's not his fault.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Thought he played really well tbf, shit penalty aside. He’s not a striker though. Our weird transfer strategy of buying a 3rd choice striker who isn’t ready to play for the first team is the issue.

Both our first choice strikers being injured at the same time is the issue really. 

I don't think his pen was any worse than the one that he scored from last week. It's just that on this occasion, the keeper went the right way. Neither were great penalties. 

But apart from that and his miss near the end, I think that's the best game I've ever seen him play. He was great.

5 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Looked like there might be a possibility of him playing a 10 style role for us if we ever use a formation where we employ one. 

I'm not sure about that. We need to take advantage of his pace and play him either out wide or on the last line of defence.