Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Watch us be the 1 😂

Not a chance, currently more likely to be Chelsea, as it fucks them with their stupid contracts and they will be well over 80% wages and transfers to turnover 

Edited by nufcnick

12 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

It’s a wages and transfers to turnover, uefa implement it at 90% this year, 80% next year finishing at 70% of turnover, we currently run a about 75% so as long as the PL follow uefa we’re fine and have some room to move 

I should create a football finance twitter. I made a similar calculation a few days ago

I think they have similar rules in Spain already.

It pretty much guarantees that Real Madrid will win the league more often than not. They have by far the biggest wage cap. They are #1 by a distance.

It's shit and reinforces dominant club positions.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

UEFA aren’t starting at 70% so I wouldn’t expect the PL to, I’m guessing they will both start at 90% meaning our cap would be £270m this year 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think they have similar rules in Spain already.

It pretty much guarantees that Real Madrid will win the league more often than not. They have by far the biggest wage cap. They are #1 by a distance.

It's shit and reinforces dominant club positions.

This ^^^ any new rules are always going to be more beneficial to the status quo, it will be interesting to see if they align with UEFA’s punishments for breaching the rules as most are financial based. 

If the relevant costs are wages plus amortisation of transfer fees, then it must mean that stadium infrastructure costs are not included. So we can expand SJP or move elsewhere with no need to worry about breaching the new rules for this expenditure? 

As someone said above, the devil is in the detail and we've not seen this yet. 

This is why I'm certain we will move stadiums, we generate about £25-30m per season in fan attendances but less than a 1/4 of that is from our 57 corporate Boxes, a new stadium would give us not only at least 3x the corporate boxes but also the extra fan revenue, you could more than double what we make to £70m+

32 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

It’s a wages and transfers to turnover, uefa implement it at 90% this year, 80% next year finishing at 70% of turnover, we currently run a about 75% so as long as the PL follow uefa we’re fine and have some room to move 

This is just wages. Almost certainly the new rules will match UEFA's, which is wages + amortisation / revenue.

We must have been under 90% for 2023, but my guess is we weren't far below. Also remember that UEFA operates on calendar years and I'm guessing the PL will continue to follow the club's normal accounting years.

Also a reminder that UEFA has published punishments for exceeding their cost control ratios, which is a fine based on the % over the limit and the number of consecutive years it's been broken.

We haven't gotten the most important detail yet from the PL, which is will we know what the punishments are and are they fines or potentially points deductions.

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I'd read somewhere that it was going to be 70% for clubs in CL and 85% for the rest

That won’t work and no one would ever want to qualify for Europe or challenge for a cup(unless you were given a 3 year grace period), as you would instantly need to cut your bills from 85% to 70%, whilst needing a bigger squad to play in Europe, ie a £300m turnover allows a spend of £255m which overnight would become an allowable spend of £210m, £45m would be a catastrophic cut to any teams spending. 

Edited by nufcnick

3 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

That won’t work and no one would ever want to qualify for Europe or challenge for a cup(unless you were given a 3 year grace period), as you would instantly need to cut your bills from 85% to 70%, whilst needing a bigger squad to play in Europe, ie a £300m turnover allows a spend of £255m which overnight would become an allowable spend of £210m, £45m would be a catastrophic cut to any teams spending. 

Season 2 Plan GIF by Paramount+

80% turnover on wages. No cap on player spends. No forensic accountancy over deals. Straight forward fines for going over. 

This will satisfy all the charges against citeh, allow for teams to grow but not too fast and look like the leagues are self governing.