Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

46 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

So… roll on summer, right?

Cant come quick enough no matter what these ramifications are.

Gg, if the rules relating to sponsorship also remain in place we can’t compete under these rules, we need to be successful to raise our revenue and to be successful we need to invest in all areas of the club aggressively. 

ultimately if we’ve voted for these rules and we don’t challenge them then we hit our glass ceiling already and progressing will be slow and extremely difficult. 

Absolute farce of a league. 

What a grim dreamless aspirationless unchanging cavalcade of a future. 

Can't see this being good for the paying fans with that basically being the clubs well. And how it's fair given the desparity in regional economies is something that needs explained. Even though they're the same size the Mackems can now never compete with West Ham.

Fair as fuck that.

Just now, Wolfcastle said:

What a grim dreamless aspirationless unchanging cavalcade of a future. 

Can't see this being good for the paying fans with that basically being the clubs well. And how it's fair given the desparity in regional economies is something that needs explained. Even though they're the same size the Mackems can now never compete with West Ham.

Fair as fuck that.

It’s even worse than that, as you mentioned the Mackems can’t compete with west ham ever during these rules and that’s no matter what. As with us, the Mackems could be taken over by bill gates and it wouldn’t make any difference. 

I could be wrong but I’m guessing the new rules have zero headroom for owner investment, so we have business which are prohibited from equity investment, it’s the anti growth coalition Truss spoke about. :lol:

If I’m reading these rules correctly dokko is totally wrong. 

under the previous rules, the owners could absorb some of the losses, which gave us a small competitive advantage over those who wouldn’t. This is no longer a thing it’s all based on revenue where we are 7th iirc. 

you tie this in with our other previous competitive advantage (our owners financing via sponsors) this is also now extremely difficult due to FMV rules (which were tightened) and we are basically hard stuck  

why would anyone sponsor us for a large sum when they can get the money to our established rivals who have a much greater presence than us? It makes no sense to sponsor us over spurs for example. 

In order to grow revenue you have to be successful, in order to be successful you have to invest. Now it seems like once again we’re meekly accepted these rules (we voted for them on the face of it).

As amortisation is included in this calculation we are currently way over the 70%, in fact these rules make any form of large squad changes very difficult (buying an influx of players will hit amortisation, so selling your best players to those with more head room becomes even more of a thing). 

What that tells me is our owners are just happy to be on the gravy train moving forwards and we will be content with fighting for the Europa league with West Ham. Unless we get rid of FMV rules I don’t see how we progress and even if we did we would breach the tougher rules for clubs in the CL. 

Tldr these rules actually fuck us harder and they are even more of a stich up than the old ones. 

Honestly cannot wait for the elite level men's game to finally collapse in on itself and become an exhibition league of ten or twelve teams custom designed to entertain world audiences that don't particularly like football

As long as we're not part of that, of course :lol: I'll still be happy just to be rid of Mike Ashley I reckon

Edited by OpenC

6 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Honestly cannot wait for the elite level men's game to finally collapse in on itself and become an exhibition league of ten or twelve teams custom designed to entertain world audiences that don't particularly like football

As long as we're not part of that, of course :lol: I'll still be happy just to be rid of Mike Ashley I reckon

That’s happened is so typical Newcastle as well. We finally get a chance to compete on level playing field and before a ball has been kicked boom you can’t sign new sponsors. Then right then. You can sign sponsors but we will say how much they are worth now the final nail is your owners are rich? So what they can’t spend a dime as we’ve changed the rules again. 

10 hours ago, Stifler said:

What I don’t get is that if you are only allowed to spend 70% up to 85% on your transfers and wages, assuming your none playing costs are below the 15%-30% ratio, overall you’ll end up with a massive surplus of cash that you could never spend.

Hello happy American owners. Glazer dividends across all the US owned teams.

21 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

PIF will walk at this rate.

Might just get a heaton Stan tattoo and watch a team that is allowed to be fair.

I keep on saying this but the only way is to legally challenge these financial rules under competition law. 

23 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

PIF will walk at this rate.

Might just get a heaton Stan tattoo and watch a team that is allowed to be fair.

I wish we’d just hurry up and get to a legal battle if I’m honest. Someone needs to stand up to the bullies. 

Just now, Nucasol said:

I wish we’d just hurry up and get to a legal battle if I’m honest. Someone needs to stand up to the bullies. 

19 clubs voted this in (I doubt we're the 1 which didn't). Would we have any ground to stand on?

1 minute ago, FloydianMag said:

I keep on saying this but the only way is to legally challenge these financial rules under competition law. 

And it’s rapidly approaching the time we shit or get off the pot. That being said, it appears we have voted in favour of these rules and I would imagine that would discredit any case we have. 

Without anything changing ie these rules being implanted and us complying with them, we can safely assume the previous stated ambitions are no long a thing and we are happy going along with the status quo. 

12 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

19 clubs voted this in (I doubt we're the 1 which didn't). Would we have any ground to stand on?

It might not be to challenge the whole aspect of it - just the FMV/FMA or another sub-component that stitches it up. Something like no opportunity for secured owner investment. The PSRs don’t appear to be nuanced at all and throttle investment based growth.

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

So to summarise we’re going to be in a worse position as are the likes of Villa with the new changes?

Yes, that’s correct. Obviously right now with the current FFP rules we are in a pinch that would have eased as the first year of takeover rolled off, with these new rules it’s more straight forward but will give us less margin. 

FMV is the probably the biggest issue as a lot of our dealings would be related parties (sponsoring us over our rivals makes little sense for most businesses). And obviously this has been regulated to the ground since our takeover.

11 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

And as shitty as this all is, it’s far more relevant to our clubs future than yesterday’s game. The accountancy league is in full swing :anguish:

To be honest I think a lot of teams outside of the big 6 will have the same feeling of “well what’s the point really?” If they’re constantly going to be hamstrung by restraints.