Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

What a pity this lot didn't take over the club at the time Ashley did, we'd be in a similar position to City now. Now it's like someone winning £10m on the lottery but being told they can only spend £100k of it a year.

14 minutes ago, Beth said:

What a pity this lot didn't take over the club at the time Ashley did, we'd be in a similar position to City now. Now it's like someone winning £10m on the lottery but being told they can only spend £100k of it a year.

That scenario is still amazing. I’d have no issue spending £100k for the rest of my life 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

That scenario is still amazing. I’d have no issue spending £100k for the rest of my life 

Depends on your age, I'd be dead before I'd spent £3m of it.

Seen some chatter on my X this morning.

City willing to ship Grealish and some Villa fans wanting/thinking he'll "come home" 

Surely FFP would stop that little fantasy. Unless City took a bigger hit than they did on Phillips AND he dumps his wages. 

@brummie??? 

Hard to see Grealish staying at Man City. He’s good enough to start for most teams in the league and these are his best years. He’s got an ego and will want out I think 

13 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Hard to see Grealish staying at Man City. He’s good enough to start for most teams in the league and these are his best years. He’s got an ego and will want out I think 

He was integral to us beating Bayern and Real last season in the CL. We’ve been worse off without him this season and when he’s fully fit he’s started. The narrative that he’s been dropped is Graeme Souness nonsense. He’s not hit the heights of last season but to be fair to him he’s been injured a lot. Around Christmas when he was fully fit he had a run of 3 goals in 3 games then got injured again. 

I can see him being moved inside eventually. He’s easily the best player at the club for keeping hold of the ball, which we all know Pep loves. 

4 hours ago, Paully said:

Cost of a season ticket there is ridiculous. We’ve just had our renewals through at City for next season and it’s gone up by £3.67 per game for my dad. Nothing really for the level of football we’re seeing, so can’t complain. I know the City fans group is crying about it - I don’t know what they want? Massive expansion to the North Stand and brand new facilities whilst watching class football! For an extra £3.67 per game!

Everton broke the rules, and didnt even come close to breaking into the top 6 so I think they just need to accept their punishment and learn to recruit properly.

Whether they broke the rules and whether the rules are fit for purpose are definetly two different discussion, granted the FAB are conflating the two.

Edited by The Prophet

Just now, The Prophet said:

Whether they broke the rules and whether the rules are fit for purpose are definetly two different discussion, granted the FAB are conflating the two.

I think there will always be this issue of how the rules should be. Everyone wanted FFP after Chelsea and City bought the league, but that essentially made it a closed shop. If we got rid of PSR us and Villa would just make the top 8 probably a lock with the rest of the big 6.

I don't disagree that FFP/PSR is shite and creates a two-tier system but they knew what the rules were and they broke them. They should and will be punished accordingly.

I also don't think a legal challenge is anywhere near as straightforward as some on here believe although I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Can't forsee any issues whatsoever in completely changing systems with virtually no notice at all over the course of a summer. Sure they've got it all planned out and are definitely on the ball though, no need to worry, it'll be absolutely fine

In an FFP world where chasing the dream is forbidden, collapse theoretically impossible and everything pretty set and stagnant, its reassuring that ticket prices will still continue to go up and OAP concessions (Spurs) will still be scrapped. A lose lose for the legacy fan.

I bet the "Fans" advisory board do want it suspended.  Signed up to the rules so can't moan if you break them.

Sack it off next season but gotta take that hit.

If Leicester City are found guilty, what can the PL do?

Do they have the power to dock points of a EFL club?

Edit- They will take points off them next season if they get promoted.

Edited by Joe1984

3 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

If Leicester City are found guilty, what can the PL do?

Do they have the power to dock points of a EFL club?

Probably start next season on minus points? What a mess

10 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Seen some chatter on my X this morning.

City willing to ship Grealish and some Villa fans wanting/thinking he'll "come home" 

Surely FFP would stop that little fantasy. Unless City took a bigger hit than they did on Phillips AND he dumps his wages. 

@brummie???

No chance he's coming back here. Things have moved on, and I think there are way more Villa fans who think it'd be a bad idea than there are think it'd be a good one.

He'll be 29, too, and wanting a big final pay deal.

Aston Villa agree £40m shirt sponsorship deal with Greek online betting firm

Aston Villa have sealed the biggest shirt front sponsorship in the club’s history, with the Greek online sports betting platform Betano paying £20 million annually for two years from next season, coinciding with the launch of the club’s new Adidas kit.

The club are ambitious to drive commercial revenue as they push for a Champions League place under manager Unai Emery and it is believed that the Betano deal is worth more than twice the current deal with Chinese online betting company BK8.

Telegraph Sport revealed in January that Villa had partnered, for the first time in the club’s history, with Adidas, the German sportswear giant in whom Villa owner Nassef Sawiris owns a seven per cent stake.

The billionaire Sawiris and his co-owner, the American Wes Edens, have been eager to push the club’s commercial power to generate the revenue to help Villa to compete. They are currently fourth in the Premier League and well set for what is likely to be one of the five Champions League places for English clubs next season in the newly remodelled 36-team format.

The club’s new American president of business operations, Chris Heck, has overseen the Betano deal and was also involved in the negotiations with Adidas last year. Heck also oversaw the early curtailment of the kit contract with Castore. The Betano deal runs for two years until 2026 when the ban on gambling companies on shirt fronts comes into effect from the start of the 2026-2027 season.

The Emery effect propelled Villa to a seventh place finish last season and the Basque manager has also secured a Uefa Europa Conference League quarter-final next month against Lille, of Ligue 1. With greater success on the pitch will come the opportunity for bigger commercial contracts.

Online sports betting remains a lucrative front of shirt sponsorship option for many clubs in the Premier League until the ban comes into force. Betano have also signed a deal with Uefa to be one of the global sponsors of Euro 2024. Betano is one of the two brands that operate under the Greek parent company Kaizen Gaming. The Adidas deal, yet to be officially announced, has proved popular with Villa supporters.

Earlier this month the club announced overall losses of £119.6 million for the financial year ending May 31, 2023. Not all those losses will figure in the profit and sustainability calculation and the club are confident they will be compliant in the next monitoring period. Villa’s annual revenue has increased from £178.4 million from the previous financial year to £217.7 million for the most recent results.

Looks like we've at least realised the urgency of boosting revenue. 

We've clearly got out of the BK8 deal as I am pretty sure that was to run till the start of the ban.

Edited by brummie