Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

They do if you compare the full history of the clubs. If you take it only from when Tottenham were formed that's not the case. We have a higher average.

You mean 1882? We’ll struggle to sell tickets to that constituency :lol:

Most of any club’s attendance history is not all that relevant. Demographics have changed, the economy has changed, fashions have changed, the teams have changed, the grounds themselves have changed etc. It’s certainly worth looking at the last, what, 30 years, say? Then you can make an educated guess.

I would very much like to see @brummie’s working on the “thousands and thousands” of Korean fans going to our home games though. Genuinely :lol:. Maybe there are? I truly don’t know. It didn’t look like it when panning the crowd at the Sheffield United match but I stand to be corrected.

52 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Another article highlighting the effects of FFP. Good stuff.

I wonder when clubs like Man Utd, City and Chelsea will have to sell half their squad to comply.

At this stage do any clubs think financial fair play is a good thing. So many teams can't spend due to FFP, in the end it may end up doing more damage than the free spending that came before it.

The more I read about the Everton stuff, the worse it gets. Is it right that:

This could be the first and only season where a club can be punished twice for the same financial breaches in a single season.

We might come to the end of the season and not know who is relegated.

It's total incompetence from the PL from a sporting integrity perspective.

Edited by The Prophet

I think there should be a luxury tax system in place like in the NBA, spend what you want but if you go over a certain amount, you get taxed heavily and it goes to any clubs not being taxed evenly.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

The more I read about the Everton stuff, the worse it gets. Is it right that:

This could be the first and only season where a club can be punished twice for the same financial breaches in a single season.

We might come to the end of the season and not know who is relegated.

It's total incompetence from the PL from a sporting integrity perspective.

Its not the same financial breaches, its two different 3 year periods with 2 years overlapping. The did not correct themselves in the third year.

However you shouldn't be able to get done for 2 different years in the same season, thats just stupid.

5 minutes ago, TRC said:

Its not the same financial breaches, its two different 3 year periods with 2 years overlapping. The did not correct themselves in the third year.

However you shouldn't be able to get done for 2 different years in the same season, thats just stupid.

It's two different sets of rules, but the two financial periods have significant overlap. You'd think it'd be considered as mitigation.

4 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

All of City’s charges, absolutely ridiculous that forest and Everton are getting done when 7 of City’s charges are P&S breaches the same as forest and Everton 

https://www.givemesport.com/football-soccer-man-city-ffp-charges-list/#:~:text=Manchester City have been charged,so clubs do not overspend

Can't see why those 7 P&S breach charges cant be "fast tracked" - surely they can be easy to prove  

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

What are the other 30% supposed to go to that you're not allowed to spend on transfers/wages? Just banked by the owners or something? 

Overheads infrastructure improvements and repairs. Utilities. Admin staff. Legal.

There should be a seperate line on the P and L for football teams called “owners unilateral investment”

This would prop up the spending but can not be called back in by the owners themselves until the P and L is plugged in future periods. This would allow for investment and protect the club at the same time.

7 minutes ago, Mag3.14 said:

Can't see why those 7 P&S breach charges cant be "fast tracked" - surely they can be easy to prove  

Exactly, considering Everton and forest are being fast tracked 

19 hours ago, brummie said:

Both you and us managed, for about a decade plus, to have flat commercial income whilst, most of the time, being members of an organisation which was fundamentally a licence to print money.

Mind blowing.

To be fair to Spurs - and, believe me, that is not something I ever like to do, let alone admit to it - they've played it very well in terms of growing commercial income, the new stadium etc. 

I do sometimes look at their crowd (ie the people, not the numbers) and wonder, when Son goes or retires, and those thousands and thousands of Koreans stop going to their games, how that'll impact them.

Son is an absolute mega star in South Korea. I reckon on any given Spurs match day, they could sell 40,000 tickets to his co-nationals on holiday in the capital.

London's heaving and relatively young, affluent population is a massive saving grace for them.

Edit: And every London-based club.

Edited by The College Dropout

56 minutes ago, Mag3.14 said:

:icon_puke_r:Just letting Liverpool have the title this season then, let City wait til we have a good season ffs

1 hour ago, TRC said:

If the PL had got themselves in order and dealt with the first breach then Everton would have been relegated last year. Should they compound their tardiness by delaying dealing with the current breach?

Also remember that a large part of the original breach was them taking the piss with Covid losses, so this is an endemic issue with them and not just a one off (like Forest). Throw the book at them in one year I say

32 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

If the PL had got themselves in order and dealt with the first breach then Everton would have been relegated last year. Should they compound their tardiness by delaying dealing with the current breach?

Also remember that a large part of the original breach was them taking the piss with Covid losses, so this is an endemic issue with them and not just a one off (like Forest). Throw the book at them in one year I say

Yep, they have really botched it. Its harsh on Everton to give them two punishments in one year, but I'd imagine any deduction would relegate Forest, which is harsh on Luton if its not given this year.

Either way some team will be fucked over by the Premier League.

2 hours ago, nufcnick said:

All of City’s charges, absolutely ridiculous that forest and Everton are getting done when 7 of City’s charges are P&S breaches the same as forest and Everton 

https://www.givemesport.com/football-soccer-man-city-ffp-charges-list/#:~:text=Manchester City have been charged,so clubs do not overspend

Are some of those charges not contingent on the more contentious charges being proved as they relate to falsely inflating their revenue/reducing their losses  

10 hours ago, nufcnick said:

Looks like City are going to also win La Liga soon as well with Girona. They've just taken over football.

18 hours ago, nufcnick said:

18 hours ago, Mag3.14 said:

Absolutely. Why can't they isolate and expedite the easy ones? 

40 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Absolutely. Why can't they isolate and expedite the easy ones? 

Maybe they are impacted by the other charges? Like, if there are issues in the reporting of revenue/income that meant that the “real” income took them over the limit?

As unfit for purpose as FFP is, I’m getting increasingly narked at the shite that local football hacks put out about it, which feeds more misinfo in the fan base.

The current one is ‘the best players to sell are academy products because they’re 100% FFP profit’.

Total and utter bollocks.  At this point Almiron’s transfer fee isn’t being amortised - he’d also be 100% profit in FFP terms.

I just wish they’d stop the half-baked shite. 

12 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Can Girona and Man City play in the same European competition?

I was just reading about this. I other clubs owned by the same owners have been allowed to play in Europe.

But City’s ownership model is different and would likely be reviewed.

Especially with these breaches.

Whats more concerning is they have 115 of them. For them to not be guilty on any of them would be almost corruption at the highest level.

So why are they not being punished and yet Everton and Forrest are. It all sounds a bit fishy to me.