Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I don’t think so, most of the let’s call them less ambitious clubs in the league don’t over stretch themselves and run the risk of being in breach. 

But is not over stretching themselves only possible through selling their best players every few years? I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong but I do think a lot of those clubs factor in selling their best players every few years. 

Across the league, I could see FFP leading to a lot of stagnation in the future. 

21 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Think back to Ashley, he was trying to have a model where we sold players on for big profits, only problem is that he was shit at implementing the plan. 

Decimate all the back office teams

and rely on Graham Carr milking his network for bargains? Lasted about 18 months before the model got sussed out and we ended up with more duds than successes.

3 minutes ago, macphisto said:

But is not over stretching themselves only possible through selling their best players every few years? I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong but I do think a lot of those clubs factor in selling their best players every few years. 

Across the league, I could see FFP leading to a lot of stagnation in the future. 

I think that’s apart of the model; most of them aren’t actually competing to win. They are competing to remain in the league and ride the valuation of the club upwards. 

I see the league broadly split into 3 categories. 

1, established elite. City man united etc. (these guys love FFP because it limits the cost they incur quite per protecting them from challengers). 

2, upstarts. Us Villa. We hate FFP because it’s a glass ceiling for us, we have the money to compete but we aren’t allowed to spend it thus the gap is maintained. 

3, happy to be along for the ride. (Everyone else) these clubs love FFP because again it’s limits the cost they incur and allows them to create a gap between themselves and the newly promoted clubs. 

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

and rely on Graham Carr milking his network for bargains? Lasted about 18 months before the model got sussed out and we ended up with more duds than successes.

How can you miss out Charnley's negotiating skills being integral to the model???? How not to run a club.... 

4 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Also didn’t help buy PSG’s takeover which meant that when we bought cheap players in France who could go to the next level, PSG decided to make their default destination to Paris.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I think that’s apart of the model; most of them aren’t actually competing to win. They are competing to remain in the league and ride the valuation of the club upwards. 

I see the league broadly split into 3 categories. 

1, established elite. City man united etc. (these guys love FFP because it limits the cost they incur quite per protecting them from challengers). 

2, upstarts. Us Villa. We hate FFP because it’s a glass ceiling for us, we have the money to compete but we aren’t allowed to spend it thus the gap is maintained. 

3, happy to be along for the ride. (Everyone else) these clubs love FFP because again it’s limits the cost they incur and allows them to create a gap between themselves and the newly promoted clubs. 

I agree with those groups but then I think there's another group like Brighton, Leicester (I know they went down), West Ham, possibly Spurs (I'd put them in your 1st group too), Brentford who want to grow the "right way" by selling star players and reinvesting in multiple positions. 

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Great summary and these are the key clubs. Also creditable to ask whether these should have the ability to make binding decisions on a league’s structure and rules that last a decade when they’re only in it for a season or two.

Of the 2012/13 vintage who voted in FFP, the following are now in other leagues:

West Brom

Swansea

Norwich

Southampton

QPR

Sunderland

Reading

Wigan

Stoke

That’s 45% of the voting members who no longer have a seat at the table dictating rules long after they’re gone. It’s a shitshow and needs huge reform.

Just now, macphisto said:

I agree with those groups but then I think there's another group like Brighton, Leicester (I know they went down), West Ham, possibly Spurs (I'd put them in your 1st group too), Brentford who want to grow the "right way" by selling star players and reinvesting in multiple positions. 

Brighton despite appearances are basically happy to be there, they aren’t pushing to upset the established order and will likely continue as they are now, making big profits or players sales and developing talent. 

Leicester belonged to the upstarts but obviously came unstuck during Covid, it remains to be seen how they operate when they get promoted but I don’t expect them to become upstarts again. 

West ham are happy to be there also, no real ambition to challenge for anything. 

Spurs are the apart of the established order and we the smartest of the bunch imo. 

Brentford are happy to be here also, no ambition to upset the apple cart, indeed I heard a podcast recently talking how happy for Toney they are that he will be going, truly odd stuff. 

31 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Or right now. Things have stagnated now. The domino effect is real.

Theres hardly been any transfer activity this January so far.

Just now, Rich said:

Wonder how Sky feel about this January.

Haha your not the first say this but I think it’s over stated tbh. 

pretty sure SSN is a loss leader for them. 

I think maintaining the status quo is much more beneficial for sky. 

I reckon there’ll be some worried faces in there. They’re obsessed with drama and even though it’s not “affecting the product”, there’ll be some execs who think it will

6 hours ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

Or right now. Things have stagnated now. The domino effect is real.

Theres hardly been any transfer activity this January so far.

Imagine the market without Chelsea going mad and the Saudi's on the scene this past summer. 

12 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Haha your not the first say this but I think it’s over stated tbh. 

pretty sure SSN is a loss leader for them. 

I think maintaining the status quo is much more beneficial for sky. 

Isn't the idea of a loss leader that it brings in traffic to the areas that make you money?

So if SSN is dead there is no traffic towards a Sky Sports subscription and your loss leader just becomes a loss maker

status quo is the whole point. anyone dares to challenge them will have to be limited.

liverpool, arsenal, man united, spurs does not want any club from 7th to 20th to become a major dog. they already hate Chelsea and City is around and became what they became.

they want top6 or top5 as they lobbied the hardest vs City on the ffp charges which does match with the Uefa model of 5 CL places available.

they detest any fucking surprises like Newcastle finish 4th last season. that alone stopped Pool to be a CL club despite the horrible run they had overall. if we are just a couple points worse Klopp still makes CL despite their bad season.

this is the point, have no one to challenge them.

this is nothing against club going into administration, pure and simple self defence from the wealthy clubs.

they control the media narrative too to suit this.

just compare the media reaction to Saudis bidding for Newcastle and Qataris bidding for ManUnited. with M United it was kind of accepted at certain points of the bidding that is is the only way for Man United to return "where they belong" in the media. Jassim Sheikh even painted as an old school Man Yoo fan  by managing some company called 1992 Generation or some other shit. he had posters of Steve Bruce on his wall and all that shit.

Newcastle was selling its soul.

Man Yoo was like this is needed because the Glazers are bleeding the club. (Wasnt Ashley same or worse than Glazers?)

I could fucking puke from Arse, Pool, MU red cartel, add Spurs too with that snake Levy.

can you imagine PL would try to block the Qatari bid same way for so long as they did with us if Glazers happen to agree a fee with them and not ratcliffe?