Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

3 minutes ago, NWMag said:

So is this big news or not?

Not really. They got off because they got relegated and they technically had a small gap between not being a Premier League club, and the end of their accounts.

The Premier League will just re-word their rules so that in future if you are a Premier League club for the majority of an accounting period, then they have the authority to deduct you points upon any return to the league.

Massive news for Leicester, who now won’t receive a points deduction.

Edited by Stifler

It's actually not great news for us.

What we need is a club to get really hit by a PSR charge, to get a deduction which relegates them, to be put in a position where they will have to challenge the legality of PSR itself. That could have been Leicester but they have got off on a very specific technicality.

Edited by Jackie Broon

1 minute ago, Jackie Broon said:

It's actually not great news for us.

What we need is a club to get really hit by a PSR charge, to get a deduction which relegates them, to be put in a position where they will have to challenge the legality of PSR itself. That could have been Leicester but they have got off on a very specific technicality.

I don’t think Leicester could challenge the legality of FFP - they signed up for it. At least it wouldn’t impact the points deduction or relegation. 

We needed Leeds back up with Leicester. There’s 6 PL clubs right up against FFP. We need more. 

Might not be "big news" for us, but nonetheless it's nice to see the Premier League getting fucked. The fact they're seething at not being able to dock a club points tells you all you need to know about the organisation. They couldn't give a fuck about the game itself. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Might not be "big news" for us, but nonetheless it's nice to see the Premier League getting fucked. The fact they're seething at not being able to dock a club points tells you all you need to know about the organisation. They couldn't give a fuck about the game itself. 

Outside the Sky 6

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

It could impact at least one of City’s 115 charges🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

I've just read that and have absolutely zero idea what he's talking about. [emoji38]

PSR isn’t going anywhere particularly with UEFA imposing their rules soon. What we need is City (or anyone else) to blow away FMV so we can aggressively start increasing our revenues.

10 minutes ago, Scoot said:

I've just read that and have absolutely zero idea what he's talking about. [emoji38]

The way I read it it’s about ambiguity around how rules are worded/interpreted, a technicality that City or any club for that matter can exploit…….and believe me City’s lawyers will.

Not sure of the exact implications of the decision today but I think any significant legal defeat for the PL and it's rules has to be seen as a good thing. The wording, the consistency and the application of their rules has been called into question and upheld. That should encourage any past and future sanctions to be appealed by any club with a bit more confidence now. This isn't the end of it all but it's a start :)

30 minutes ago, Maggies said:

PSR isn’t going anywhere particularly with UEFA imposing their rules soon. What we need is City (or anyone else) to blow away FMV so we can aggressively start increasing our revenues.

Incidentally, I think it’s the sponsors themselves who should take action.

I have said this before, but let’s say I’m a multi-millionaire/billionaire. I want to sponsor NUFC, either on the shirt or by other sponsorship. Let’s say I want to give them £50m for it. I pay more than another company because I have an emotional connection to the club. That little bit more could see us achieve our targets, or exceed them, and in my view that’s my money well spent.

Imagine if the Premier League said no, but I could sponsor Liverpool in the same manner for £50m. Well no, that’s not money well spent in my opinion. How come I can sponsor 1 club and give them an advantage, but not another, or the team who I support?

42 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

27 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

The way I read it it’s about ambiguity around how rules are worded/interpreted, a technicality that City or any club for that matter can exploit…….and believe me City’s lawyers will.

It’s that the rules as they existed were not ambiguous, and therefore Man City were in position where Mancini could receive payment outside of his regular manager contract.  Man City has been charged with not giving full details of payments to the manager - but there is no ambiguity in the PL rules at the time about this - they didn’t require Man City to do what the charges state they needed to, therefore Man City are likely to be able to throw this charge out.

Doesn’t mean that they won’t be done on the other - more serious - charges, of course.  

25 minutes ago, midds said:

Not sure of the exact implications of the decision today but I think any significant legal defeat for the PL and it's rules has to be seen as a good thing. The wording, the consistency and the application of their rules has been called into question and upheld. That should encourage any past and future sanctions to be appealed by any club with a bit more confidence now. This isn't the end of it all but it's a start :)

All the ruling is telling the PL is to ensure that their drafting is watertight - they haven’t been told by the Appeals Board that the rules in principle are a problem.

The PL’s reaction is more likely to be to tighten, not relax, the rules. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

All the ruling is telling the PL is to ensure that their drafting is watertight - they haven’t been told by the Appeals Board that the rules in principle are a problem.

Chips well and truly soaked. Cheers 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s that the rules as they existed were not ambiguous, and therefore Man City were in position where Mancini could receive payment outside of his regular manager contract.  Man City has been charged with not giving full details of payments to the manager - but there is no ambiguity in the PL rules at the time about this - they didn’t require Man City to do what the charges state they needed to, therefore Man City are likely to be able to throw this charge out.

Doesn’t mean that they won’t be done on the other - more serious - charges, of course.  

The more serious charges are basically accusing City of fraud…….much harder for the PL to prove. City will be found guilty of some charges, albeit minor charges, of that I’m sure, however any penalties won’t include relegation or even points deductions. Not long to wait on outcomes.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Redraft the rules they’ll have to be voted on, will they get the majority they need…a split in how clubs vote is emerging.

1 minute ago, FloydianMag said:

The more serious charges are basically accusing City of fraud…….much harder for the PL to prove. City will be found guilty of some charges, albeit minor charges, of that I’m sure, however any penalties won’t include relegation or even points deductions. Not long to wait on outcomes.

Agreed, much harder to nail down - though the leaked emails aren’t a good look.

If they are done on the serious charges, I’m perfectly happy to see titles stripped and relegation as a punishment. 

Just now, FloydianMag said:

Redraft the rules they’ll have to be voted on, will they get the majority they need…a split in how clubs vote is emerging.

Keep hearing this, then they all vote them through.  The only way any of this changes is with the PL being subject to independent governance - which doesn’t look like it’s about to happen.

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

On a different point though, if the rules weren't sufficiently well drafted, that too presumably opens another route for all sorts of appeals. 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Keep hearing this, then they all vote them through.  The only way any of this changes is with the PL being subject to independent governance - which doesn’t look like it’s about to happen.

Well City, us, Everton, Forest and now LCFC all it would take is a bit of lobbying to get another 2 clubs onboard and they could prevent rule changes if it didn’t benefit them.