Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

3 hours ago, TRC said:

Pretty genius loophole Aston Villa are abusing with Cameron Archer. Have to buy him back if Sheff United go down, get more money if they stay up. So +20m on the accounts for 2023, then amortisation when they buy him back and able to sell him.

I have thought, could a team sell someone at market value, then immediately buy him back at the same price, thus receiving the FPP boost of the full price but spreading the cost over the contract term 

Obviously you would need 2 teams in on this and it it would absolutely be dodgy as fuck 😂

But I guess what you said with villa is similar, albeit a much more ethical way 

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

FIFA talking about algorithms for transfer fees……I wonder which clubs will benefit from that??

https://x.com/telefootball/status/1753440638857826564?s=61&t=Yt8DTJJ-7Jh_ndgpdGSFKQ

"We need a solution. The system is only working for a group of elite clubs and it's not working for everyone else as things are now."

"How about we use an algorithm that keeps things as they are now?"

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

"We need a solution. The system is only working for a group of elite clubs and it's not working for everyone else as things are now."

"How about we use an algorithm that keeps things as they are now?"

That’s about it…..you can see an almighty court battle about this shit.

27 minutes ago, janpawel said:

I have thought, could a team sell someone at market value, then immediately buy him back at the same price, thus receiving the FPP boost of the full price but spreading the cost over the contract term 

Obviously you would need 2 teams in on this and it it would absolutely be dodgy as fuck 😂

It would only work if you had someone with no or very little value left on the balance sheet.

although in theory you could do a £100m sale either way

58 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Sell Bruno to Gateshead for 24 hours - 100m. 

11 hours ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Maybe they could have a guarantor setup where, if possible, a club can spend what they like if the full cost of the purchase is up front and fully paid to the end of the contract (or the amount is held in trust). As long as the running of the club itself is covered by commercial income and can't be hit by having to pay for outstanding crazy wages, etc if an owner goes bust. Would that work? I can't see it being any different from any other club from back in the day that had rich owners and did well, other than there being less long term risk.

... of course, I could be over simplifying things and not taking other legalities into account [emoji38]

That would work if the aim was to ensure the sustainability of clubs. Unfortunately that's not the aim of FFP. 

44 minutes ago, loki679 said:

That would work if the aim was to ensure the sustainability of clubs. Unfortunately that's not the aim of FFP. 

Yeah - FFP is deliberately designed to stop this, and any other form of owner financing.

everything is set to revenue to protect the clubs that want to make profits from competition from owners who don’t. Setting a max 85% of revenue for clubs a) prevents smaller clubs competing with Man Utd / Liverpool b) allows their owners to make a profit 

ie protect the Glazers and Liverpool owners etc from ‘another Man City’ 

People hoping Man Utd or the like will seek to soften FFP are deluding themselves. If anything they’ll want to do the opposite 

1 hour ago, WilliamPS said:

Yeah - FFP is deliberately designed to stop this, and any other form of owner financing.

everything is set to revenue to protect the clubs that want to make profits from competition from owners who don’t. Setting a max 85% of revenue for clubs a) prevents smaller clubs competing with Man Utd / Liverpool b) allows their owners to make a profit 

ie protect the Glazers and Liverpool owners etc from ‘another Man City’ 

People hoping Man Utd or the like will seek to soften FFP are deluding themselves. If anything they’ll want to do the opposite 

Given the reluctance or even refusal of the old wealthy clubs to change FFP it could leave some owners with little alternative other than to go to Competition Tribunals or to Court seeking rulings.

I listened to the Blackstone Chambers Pod right through and it was interesting listening to the outcome of recent case rulings.  Lawyers seem to be in agreement that sport is special however it is not as special as it, and others think it is, and now that it is a multi billion Pound business Competition Law applies.

I don't get how they simply cannot be relegated along with Man City.

How long can these protected species be protected like?

I kna your Evertons and that will be in a similar boat but don't Man City have like 150 charges and Chelsea are losing £20m a year more than FFP on allowances even on transfer fees at present (since 2022). (Not sure if that incorporates any sales from that period.)

But once wages are considered and a lack of European football again this year, and whilst they remain very inconsistent and somewhat unentertaining the won't be getting TV appearances. It's literally got to be shit or bust for them next season, surely, and if a hefty points deduction comes in mid season, they'll potentially drop like a stone.

Time for those governing FFP to hit the right people with the right punishments based on Evertons 10 point deduction and the extremity of other clubs cases. I bet they don't though

The irony of Todd Boehly's 'rebuild' is that they now need another, much larger one and they need to push him out of their club and get investors who will dismantle this thing from top to bottom and fix it (in my opinion).

Edited by Heron

28 minutes ago, Heron said:

I don't get how they simply cannot be relegated along with Man City.

How long can these protected species be protected like?

I kna your Evertons and that will be in a similar boat but don't Man City have like 150 charges and Chelsea are losing £20m a year more than FFP on allowances even on transfer fees at present (since 2022). (Not sure if that incorporates any sales from that period.)

But once wages are considered and a lack of European football again this year, and whilst they remain very inconsistent and somewhat unentertaining the won't be getting TV appearances. It's literally got to be shit or bust for them next season, surely, and if a hefty points deduction comes in mid season, they'll potentially drop like a stone.

Time for those governing FFP to hit the right people with the right punishments based on Evertons 10 point deduction and the extremity of other clubs cases. I bet they don't though

The irony of Todd Boehly's 'rebuild' is that they now need another, much larger one and they need to push him out of their club and get investors who will dismantle this thing from top to bottom and fix it (in my opinion).

The lack of Europe element is something that’s got to be hurting them. That season they won the CL they got €120m prize money from it - they’re running the risk of being out of Europe and the UCL for two years and I doubt that’ll have been in the business plans. That’s a canny sized hole to make up with all the player trading too.

36 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

We're going to be laughing our tits off one day aren't we :lol:

Can’t wait for 2 years time when Everton, Man City, and Chelsea have been relegated, and 16th placed Championship side Sunderland fans are saying that they would be promoted if it wasn’t for the FFP clubs running away with the league.

Edited by Stifler

6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Can’t wait for 2 years time when Everton, Man City, and Chelsea have been relegated and 16th placed Championship side Sunderland fans are saying that they would be promoted if it wasn’t for the FFP club running away with the league.

That's a good point actually, any of these get relegated and it just makes it more difficult for them. How will they cope not being the biggest most massive club and "everyones cup final?"

34 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

We're going to be laughing our tits off one day aren't we :lol:

I reckon so like. The only thing that might stop that is your Liverpools and Man Uniteds potentially. It'll return back to a late 90s kinda playing field with a couple of replacements for your Chelsea's etc.

These people deserve it though. Football needs reformation in this country, desperately. Its been too greedy for too long.

17 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

The lack of Europe element is something that’s got to be hurting them. That season they won the CL they got €120m prize money from it - they’re running the risk of being out of Europe and the UCL for two years and I doubt that’ll have been in the business plans. That’s a canny sized hole to make up with all the player trading too.

I hadn't considered that, but let's say that buys them an extra season, unless they offload this summer then next summer they'll be in a similar if not worse predicament potentially, because they'll either have to sell off all their monopoly of youth or sell a few big players and buy really astutely to ensure they maintain or approve. If they're hit with a points deduction they could well be fucked.

Just now, Heron said:

I reckon so like. The only thing that might stop that is your Liverpools and Man Uniteds potentially. It'll return back to a late 90s kinda playing field with a couple of replacements for your Chelsea's etc.

These people deserve it though. Football needs reformation in this country, desperately. Its been too greedy for too long.

Yep, it's often talked about but it really does feel like this is the bubble bursting moment right here. Really can't see the PL doing much to help either; there'd be complete uproar at this stage given the precedent they set with Everton.

Whatever happens it's quite refreshing to know that we're going to be okay :)

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

I hadn't considered that, but let's say that buys them an extra season, unless they offload this summer then next summer they'll be in a similar if not worse predicament potentially, because they'll either have to sell off all their monopoly of youth or sell a few big players and buy really astutely to ensure they maintain or approve. If they're hit with a points deduction they could well be fucked.

Chelsea have done a Leeds, let's be honest. They've just got a billionaire behind them.

28 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Though they will probably change the rules and give retrospective immunity to the likes of Man City and Chelsea 

This ^ - you know it's going to happen.  Now some of the elite are in trouble - time to change the rules.

15 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Yep, it's often talked about but it really does feel like this is the bubble bursting moment right here. Really can't see the PL doing much to help either; there'd be complete uproar at this stage given the precedent they set with Everton.

Whatever happens it's quite refreshing to know that we're going to be okay :)

Absolutely mate. We're just stirring the pot and ticking along. We'll naturally elevate we just need to be ready when the bubble does burst.

It'd probably be best that we get our foundations in and the bubble bursts in 18months time once we have all our structure in place. Then we'll soar.

Edited by Heron