Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

2 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Unless turnover is relaxed it's definitely not good ie great for the 6. Most clubs are happy to participate that why they vote

Apparently we also voted for it.

As always it's hard to judge without the details. For example, is being at 86% a points deduction or is it fines until you're a repeat / gross offender? But something following the track of the UEFA rules is at least sensible.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Out of interest, based on our turnover last season, what would we have been able to spend ?

I did some very rough math a couple months ago where I guessed we were at 88-89% this season (we had to be under 90% for UEFA, though that was for 2023 calendar year).

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Out of interest, based on our turnover last season, what would we have been able to spend ?

74.1%, down from 94.6% the previous season - they're expecting similar for this season iirc.  All good for premier league, but high for UEFA's more stringent 70% cap 

3 minutes ago, Mag3.14 said:

74.1%, down from 94.6% the previous season - they're expecting similar for this season iirc.  All good for premier league, but high for UEFA's more stringent 70% cap 

That's just wages. Need to add amortisation costs also.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think we were pretty much at our limit, and this also included an Ashley year which didnt do much. Problem is this is the first year where we have had 3 PIF years on the accounts which are all negative spend, so this year and next will be tough.

7 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

That's just wages. Need to add amortisation costs also.

My bad, I assumed the "staff costs" on the accounts would have included purchases & salaries - must be sailing close to the wind then if you include amortisation cost on top ?

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

These new rules are terrible for us, no allowance for owner investment and IF related party transaction rules remain we are stuck on the outside looking in. 

Think we need to see the actual detail, there were two votes apparently, one of which was unanimous.  I can't see the likes of ourselves, Villa, Forest & West Ham going for this with those restrictions in place - odd.

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

These new rules are terrible for us, no allowance for owner investment and IF related party transaction rules remain we are stuck on the outside looking in. 

Why would we vote for it then ? Or is it a case of it’s terrible but slightly less so than the current ones ? 

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Why would we vote for it then ? Or is it a case of it’s terrible but slightly less so than the current ones ? 

We’ve voted for everything thus far apart from the temporary ban on related sponsors. 

Me thinks the on the record ambitions and the real ambitions don’t align. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

We’ve voted for everything thus far apart from the temporary ban on related sponsors. 

Me thinks the on the record ambitions and the real ambitions don’t align. 

I'm pretty sure PIF would rather go in all guns blazing, but given the sensitivities around a Saudi owned football club, they probably don't want to cause a stink. In any case, they win either way.

Imagine there will be a load of changes and tinkering with these rules over the next few years like this. Still think the time will come when it'll be properly challenged. 

Sounds like a fairly insignificant change. The change needed to help football is to remove link between spending and turnover so owners can invest in their clubs and help them kick on. I understand the rules are in place to protect some clubs going out of business but at the end of the day if clubs or owners make stupid financial decisions then they should suffer the consequences rather than every club being restricted by these rules.

Linking spending to turnover just protects the stranglehold the big 6 have on the Premier League, the profits and the trophies within English football. Until this changes the same clubs are going to win everything while the rest of us are being told we should be happy to just exist in football. Its daft that every club outside of the six isn't pushing for genuine change so we can all compete. 

12 minutes ago, Decky said:

Sounds like a fairly insignificant change. The change needed to help football is to remove link between spending and turnover so owners can invest in their clubs and help them kick on. I understand the rules are in place to protect some clubs going out of business but at the end of the day if clubs or owners make stupid financial decisions then they should suffer the consequences rather than every club being restricted by these rules.

Linking spending to turnover just protects the stranglehold the big 6 have on the Premier League, the profits and the trophies within English football. Until this changes the same clubs are going to win everything while the rest of us are being told we should be happy to just exist in football. Its daft that every club outside of the six isn't pushing for genuine change so we can all compete. 

Eventually there can only be limited options for owners like PIF. Either they can challenge the PL and cartel club stranglehold on anti-competitive grounds, or they lose interest and start buying up clubs in other leagues where there is less restriction. The third option might be to just buy up one of the cartel clubs. I would imagine that would meet with the approval of the PL as that would align with their own interests.

Personally I think the only way to break this stranglehold is the legal challenge, otherwise we could be waiting for another 10 years hoping we sign enough good players to make a massive profit. Of course, every other club will be trying to sign those same players too.

Not great reading, we would be in breach if it applied now - not withstanding last years accounts are  a poor point in time reference to judge our off the field progress.

8 minutes ago, simonsays said:

You have to imagine we will now have official tractor, sanitary product etc partners lined up in readiness for this

Exactly, we just need to be more patient. They've grew the commercial side quite a bit in the 2 and a half years they've been here. These things take time.

Removing the Related Party Transactions would be a cheat code though basically. 1 I'd love to see happen.

Edited by Scoot