Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

2 hours ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

This is so easily solvable.  Allow owners to inject extra cash to subsidise ticket prices.  If Newcastle are charging £40 for a ticket and say Fulham were the most expensive equivalent ticket at £120 the owner can put in £80. 

Then what’s to Newcastle (or anyone) charging 10 grand a ticket and the owners putting in £9660, and massively inflating ticket revenue?

Just now, SteV said:

Then what’s to Newcastle (or anyone) charging 10 grand a ticket and the owners putting in £9660, and massively inflating ticket revenue?

That’s not what he’s saying. The equivalent highest price would be the price the fans actually have to pay. So if the fans at Fulham actually are paying £120, that becomes the marker.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

That’s not what he’s saying. The equivalent highest price would be the price the fans actually have to pay. So if the fans at Fulham actually are paying £120, that becomes the marker.

Surely the owners of Fulham (or whoever was the most expensive) would say it’s not fair that other owners are allowed to invest additionally and they aren’t?

Just now, SteV said:

Surely the owners of Fulham (or whoever was the most expensive) would say it’s not fair that other owners are allowed to invest additionally and they aren’t?

They're already getting the extra investment by having prices that high in the first place.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Pixelphish said:

They're already getting the extra investment by having prices that high in the first place.

Yes exactly.  It's saying as a club we believe that we could change x amounts for tickets.  Our demand is such that people will pay.  But We do not want to screw our fans or be forced to to be competitive.  Therefore we will charge them less and add the difference ourselves.  This payment would be allowed ontop of the 130million permitted losses.

edit:   Also to allow this to happen the game must be sold out.  

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

8 minutes ago, Pixelphish said:

Hmm, OK, I see the point that you’re trying to artificially level ticket income.

But if Fulham only have a 30k capacity and we have 52k, if we can input further revenue for those additional seats, is that fair? 

Ultimately it probably just ends up being another vehicle for the big clubs to get further away from the smaller clubs.

10 minutes ago, SteV said:

Hmm, OK, I see the point that you’re trying to artificially level ticket income.

But if Fulham only have a 30k capacity and we have 52k, if we can input further revenue for those additional seats, is that fair? 

Ultimately it probably just ends up being another vehicle for the big clubs to get further away from the smaller clubs.

Fulhams matchday income was £15m. Ours was £38m(2023 figures)

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, SteV said:

No not artificially level ticket income.  St James will sell out.  It will sell out at higher prices.  Demand is huge.  But people should not be priced out of a ticket due to FFP meaning all commercial revenue must be maximised.  This is about saying I can demonstrate that the ticket would sell for this amount if I charged it.  But I do not want to sell it at this amount as it prices out fans.  I also do not want to be punished as a club for making decisions that are positive for or fans.

In terms of the capacity the point that you can only do this if the ground is sold out.  So capacity does not matter.

I would not see it as widening the gap.  Clubs are increasing the ticket prices.  People are getting priced out and it's only going to get worse as demand is so high.  Our income will go up from tickets either way.  Its just about whether we pay for it or the owners do.

I also think it would force owners to be honest.  It is too easy for them to say we have to up prices due to FFP.  If there is this option they cannot hide behind that.  If they are upping prices it is for profit nothing else.

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

6 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Fulhams matchday income was £15m. Ours was £38m(2023 figures)

There you go. So ultimately, the likes of us and the other big teams just pull further away from the likes of Fulham. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, SteV said:

There you go. So ultimately, the likes of us and the other big teams just pull further away from the likes of Fulham. 

I would be all for everyone in the league being allowed to spend the same amount as the club with the highest revenue.  That to me feels like the best way to level the playing field.  But does not work for owners looking to make a profit out of football.

The ticket price subsidy is a suggestion in the world that we are in where the amount you can spend is based of revenue.  It is not a fix for everything that is wrong with FFP.  Its a small tweak so fans are not punished.

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

1 minute ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

No not artificially level ticket income.  St James will sell out.  It will sell out at higher prices.  Demand is huge.  But people should not be priced out of a ticket due to FFP meaning all commercial revenue must be maximised.  This is about saying I can demonstrate that the ticket would sell for this amount if I charged it.  But I do not want to sell it at this amount as it prices out fans.  I also do not want to be punished as a club for making decisions that are positive for or fans.

In terms of the capacity the point that you can only do this if the ground is sold out.  So capacity does not matter.

I would not see it as widening the gap.  Clubs are increasing the ticket prices.  People are getting priced out and it's only going to get worse as demand is so high.  Our income will go up from tickets either way.  Its just about whether we pay for it or the owners do.

I see your point from the pov of reducing the financial burden falling on the individual fan to maximise FFP revenue.

But ultimately if Newcastle are charging the same ticket prices as Fulham (wherever the final revenue for each ticket comes from) then we’re just going to increase the gap in ticket revenue and move further away from them.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, SteV said:

I see your point from the pov of reducing the financial burden falling on the individual fan to maximise FFP revenue.

But ultimately if Newcastle are charging the same ticket prices as Fulham (wherever the final revenue for each ticket comes from) then we’re just going to increase the gap in ticket revenue and move further away from them.

We cross posted.  I kind of responded to that in my previous post.  Its true but will happen either way.

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

3 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

I would be all for everyone in the league being allowed to spend the same amount as the club with the highest revenue.  That to me feels like the best way to level the playing field.  But does not work for owners looking to make a profit out of football.

The ticket price subsidy is a suggestion in the world that we are in where the amount you can spend is based of revenue.  It is not a fix for everything that is wrong with FFP.  Its a small tweak so fans are not punished.

Agree with the first sentence there.

Dunno how we get there like.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, SteV said:

Agree with the first sentence there.

Dunno how we get there like.

Unfortunetly I don't think we ever do as the clubs with the most power and influence do not want it.  They want the advantage and have fought for years to protect and extend it.  

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

13 minutes ago, SteV said:

IMG_0874.thumb.jpeg.2e24d46dad39b7922ac5b26513d0c702.jpeg

Wonder if Saudia have a similar “deep commitment” to the North East market?

Related fair market sponsorship a thing in La Liga?

Posted (edited)

Non paywall that please someone.

Surely it can't be as nakedly biased against us as the headline seems ?

Edited by madras

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I thought that was good news? 

That's what I was thinking. What are people complaining about??