Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Absolutely gobsmacked we found ourselves scrambling aground like this at last minute, if Minteh hadn’t come good we could have been flogging Isak, or Gordon at cut price this weekend to Chelsea and Liverpool which would have been sickening.

Be interesting to see what filters out over next few days in press, expecting some serious PR from the club as this hasn’t been a good look at all.

id say we haven’t been scrambling around last minute on Minteh, it’s a sale we’ve been lining up all month.

let’s take it as a given that we have to sell in any given year, we can sell at the beginning and work to the income received or sell at the end of the year if certain things don’t pan out. A lot of clubs will make that decision and it’s fair for our club to work on the basis of performing well and therefore revert to a plan of selling now.

June sales are going to become more common as clubs walk the tightrope, the majority are an injury away from needing  an unplanned purchase and then forced sale

If the PL or whoever is going to make me have to give half a shit about finances and austerity in the context of obscenely rich owners and shit, at least make the whole thing fucking transparent. It’s such a fucking chore to be a sports fan anymore. Like, nobody gets into sports because it’s extra time to do math guessing games. 

Just now, Checko said:

I don't worry about PSR and leave it up to the club's accountants. Much more peaceful existence.

Also the handball rule is fine IMO.

What's ok with the handball rule when no one, players included, knows what's allowed or not?

PSR is just unfair as it only makes it almost impossible for the "lower" teams to catch up with the "top" teams. A typical cartell-rule!

2 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

What's ok with the handball rule when no one, players included, knows what's allowed or not?

PSR is just unfair as it only makes it almost impossible for the "lower" teams to catch up with the "top" teams. A typical cartell-rule!

I would say the handball rule is pretty simple. The fact most commentators and pundits haven't spent the 1 minute required to learn it doesn't change that. In most cases it just depends on whether the position of the arm is in a natural position or not, based on the players movement. There's obviously subjectivity regarding what's a natural position, but realistically when you think of all the potential situations where the ball could strike the hand it seems a reasonable rule.

Re: PSR, I would say:

1. I didn't say PSR was great. Just that I don't worry about it. I don't personally have an inherant problem with clubs being told they can't spend tons more money that they bring in, but obviously many people here want to take advantage of an infinite money cheat. We'll all have our different attitude here. Overall, personally I find the constant whingeing and self-victimisation around PSR far more annoying than the actual limitations of PSR itself. It's like being on a Liverpool board at times.

2.  PSR is designed to stop clubs getting into massive debt. It was never about letting lower teams catch top teams. The free market doesn't do that either, unless you're one of the very few teams that that has a crazy sugar daddy. Even then it wouldn't be make things fair or more competitive for the vast majority of teams that don't have a sugar daddy.

Financial inequality is the main problem for competitive balance. And let's be honest, most of us would love to benefit from the PIF and the financial inequality it would provide. Even Jim Ratcliffe's tax exile billions would pale in comapirson.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Jacobs chatting about Wilson to Saudi. Would that still count on the books with their transfer window closed?

I think if there's a deal in place it still counts on this year's accounts. But there has to be some sort of agreement reached soon.

Hear me out on this one….

June 30th has become a mini deadline day and we’ve seen some high fees paid when you wouldn’t normally at this stage.

perhaps the club are thinking to next season and with no European football have latched onto a way to get a few extra quid.

realistically if Minteh wasn’t sold now we ain’t getting more than £33m in the summer and the likely scenario was another loan, perhaps the club are thinking the same and have just released an extra £10m a year into the losses pot. of course you’d need to get some noise about possible breaches into the league so clubs who wouldn’t normally think they can compete for a signing like this come forward.

31 minutes ago, Checko said:

2.  PSR is designed to stop clubs getting into massive debt. It was never about letting lower teams catch top teams. The free market doesn't do that either, unless you're one of the very few teams that that has a crazy sugar daddy. Even then it wouldn't be make things fair or more competitive for the vast majority of teams that don't have a sugar daddy.

Surely this isn’t the case? I’m not an expert but to me it seems the whole “protecting clubs from going broke” is just how they disguise the real purpose which is in fact to protect the established clubs from needing to worry about losing their position.

I’m not impressed by this and looks like we’ve been luckily bailed out due to Minteh coming good, otherwise it would have been a demoralising sale which would have set us back.

Clearly though we’ve been under the cosh since having to go all in that first January to stay in the league and I suspect we have sponsors held up by the PL we’ve been relying on.

Hopefully, never find ourselves in this position again as could have got very messy if one of the big stars had to be sacrificed this weekend, yeah we will have to trade going forward but leaving it this late left us wide open to vultures and being low balled.

33 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Surely this isn’t the case? I’m not an expert but to me it seems the whole “protecting clubs from going broke” is just how they disguise the real purpose which is in fact to protect the established clubs from needing to worry about losing their position.

It has nothing to do with protecting against clubs going broke. The tests are completely ambivalent to the financial strength of a club's balance sheet. 

Edited by Boey_Jarton