Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

51 minutes ago, KaKa said:

NFL, Concerts and Go Karting!

Stuff like that, that a new multi purpose stadium could provide.

Meanwhile we have the old farts in the East Stand reminiscing about "the good ol days" and how nothing should change.

1 minute ago, OverThere said:

Stuff like that, that a new multi purpose stadium could provide.

Meanwhile we have the old farts in the East Stand reminiscing about "the good ol days" and how nothing should change.

I get what you're saying but we could host concerts and NFL now. Not sure where the go karts are at Spurs.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

I get what you're saying but we could host concerts and NFL now. Not sure where the go karts are at Spurs.

Having gone to many stadiums that are designed to maximize revenue SJP just isnt close to being suitable.

In particular, the concourses don't allow for much in the way of commerce... food, merchandise etc.

7 minutes ago, madras said:

No we couldn’t host the NFL. The stadium set up is all wrong for it and the corporate and catering facilities are a million miles from what they’d accept.

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Also - concerts - given the access points and structure for the likes of Taylor Swift, Beyoncé etc, SJP is also wrong. Someone explained it previously and why everything from location to stadium structure was ill fitting.

Just now, OverThere said:

Having gone to many stadiums that are designed to maximize revenue SJP just isnt close to being suitable.

In particular, the concourses don't allow for much in the way of commerce... food, merchandise etc.

Yeah I get that, I know one of the first things they done was to look at expanding the Leazes backwards towards Leazes Park,  wouldn't alter the capacity but creates more space for fans to spend more time and £s, but that's really just match day. Spurs is a 7 day a week operation because of where it is.

Funnily enough SJP’s great location is also a hindrance on commercials.  Most football clubs can sell pints and pies to the punters as a captive market - when a football ground is in a shite location, fans will turn up earlier and spend their cash there instead of in city centre pubs.

I’m not advocating a move from the city centre btw - should NUFC get a new stadium I’d want the location to remain city centre - just pointing this out :) 

4 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Also - concerts - given the access points and structure for the likes of Taylor Swift, Beyoncé etc, SJP is also wrong. Someone explained it previously and why everything from location to stadium structure was ill fitting.

I remember that and didn't buy it at the time. The size and set up of the Sam Fender stage was done. It's as much that the North East just isn't on the circuit.

1 hour ago, madras said:

Wasn't it just the changes to the associated parties rules that came in last season, ie the burden of proof of FMV was placed on to the clubs ?

This article suggests that the case is about the FMV requirement in general, not just the recent changes, even though it was submitted immediately following them https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/08/manchester-city-premier-league-legal-case

1 minute ago, madras said:

I remember that and didn't buy it at the time. The size and set up of the Sam Fender stage was done. It's as much that the North East just isn't on the circuit.

How many did Fender get through the doors?

7 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

No we couldn’t host the NFL. The stadium set up is all wrong for it and the corporate and catering facilities are a million miles from what they’d accept.

And there's no way with a refurbishment and extensions that would change ?

I'm ambivalent as to whether we move or not providing its not out of the the city centre btw. I see the advantages and negatives in both scenarios.

2 hours ago, madras said:

Is it not that being in London there is a lot more for them to host ?

No, being in London and being able to charge 300% more for a ticket will do it

And unfortunately a London pound counts exactly the same as a Newcastle pound on paper

Edited by gjohnson