Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

18 minutes ago, Slim said:

"My opinion is just that – an opinion"

So not based in any facts like at least some of the journalists have been.

God bless The Mag. Can’t believe it’s still limping along with the torrent of shit it pumps out.

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Sorry to bang the drum again, but the Mitchell appointment really just goes to show how much control we have over what goes into the public domain.

We wanted our PSR struggles out there.

I can understand that line of thinking but wouldn't it drive prices down?

29 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Sorry to bang the drum again, but the Mitchell appointment really just goes to show how much control we have over what goes into the public domain.

Feels really strange been a professional football club 

33 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While I agree to a decent extent that we are controlling some flow of information, when it comes to the transfers and PSR stuff then there would have been far more people involved both internally and externally who would have been able to tell if we were in trouble. A leak could have come from many places. In terms of Mitchell, the leak could only have come from within or from Mitchell so it’s a much smaller pool. I think we have overplayed our PSR mess but I also think some of it has probably been shared by people outside of our circles 

If we were talking to as many clubs as suggested about selling players - and it has been suggested many other clubs were aware of our PSR issues - then they had no need to brief the press.  They may well have done but I bet other clubs would have been only too happy to brief the media on our situation as well.

12 minutes ago, Wallace said:

If we were talking to as many clubs as suggested about selling players - and it has been suggested many other clubs were aware of our PSR issues - then they had no need to brief the press.  They may well have done but I bet other clubs would have been only too happy to brief the media on our situation as well.

It's not just the clubs that we would want to control the narrative with though, anything they can do to muddy the waters with the general press and football environment the better for them.

We're still the 'richest club in the world' to many and we don't want our pants pulled down on fees so create a narrative that there is no cash to spend 

1 minute ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

It's not just the clubs that we would want to control the narrative with though, anything they can do to muddy the waters with the general press and football environment the better for them.

We're still the 'richest club in the world' to many and we don't want our pants pulled down on fees so create a narrative that there is no cash to spend 

Claiming broke while actively needing to sell players, is not a wise tactic for securing higher fees.

In fact - we didn't get the best financial package on offer for Minteh.

39 minutes ago, madras said:

I can understand that line of thinking but wouldn't it drive prices down?

The deals were already agreed. Takes weeks to do a deal. The PR angle is once we know we are selling which is not when we know we are selling. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Claiming broke while actively needing to sell players, is not a wise tactic for securing higher fees.

In fact - we didn't get the best financial package on offer for Minteh.

I think the Minteh element was he knocked back the highest offer as only wanted Everton or Brighton (he shitcanned Forest too).

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye and Brighton knew they didn’t have to match the best offer because we needed to sell. Desperately.  

Or had to pay market rate because others were interested and it had to be done by the end if the month, if not we could sell someone else and want "market value" or keep after June.

Lots of variables, who knows ?

Edited by madras

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Or had to pay market rate because others were interested and it had to be done by the end if the month, if not we could sell someone else and want "market value" or keep after June.

Nail on the head! certainly nobody on here really knows? All conjecture guesswork supposition and oh yes opinions that have no basis!

19 minutes ago, madras said:

Aye. 

But I think this idea that we played up our position on PSR is overly wishful thinking.  

It’s as simple as it seems. We needed lots of money and explored various ways to raise it. And we did. 

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I have said this SO many times now . . .

NUFC want this absurd FFP/PSR system sorted or abolished.

NOTHING much was happening, it wasn't being talked about, until Darren Eales told the world that the worlds richest club had to sell players to progress, because of FFP.

That started all the immense amount of dissatisfaction and discussion that we have now, allied to (what he knew would happen) penalties being given to some 'non-sleazy six' clubs.

The latest part of this process is how we let all this PSR deadline stuff out into the media when (as you now realise, if you didn't already know) that we do not leak anything (eg D O F appointment) if we do not specifically want to.

We are clever, so very, very, clever.

Edited by manorpark

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye. 

But I think this idea that we played up our position on PSR is overly wishful thinking.  

It’s as simple as it seems. We needed lots of money and explored various ways to raise it. And we did. 

There's far too much we don't know to say "It is".