Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (11/02/2023)

Disco

3 hours ago, UncleBingo said:

Anyone old enough to remember this?

FBGoVQmVkAkJjDn.jpg

Clearly been forgotten and I’m not buying this it’s ok to be happy with things overall but still criticise. When we get beat at home will these same folk boo the team off as it’s ok to criticise, but then wake up the next day and be quite happy with where the clubs at overall.

I think folk have forgotten what support is meant to be and perspective is crucial when looking at games and performances in isolation.

It’s ok to admit we weren’t great yesterday nobody disputes that, but criticising the club, manager and players comes across as being whingeing and spoilt in the current circumstances and quite frankly embarrassing.

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Howe showed during the 1-2 year period from him leaving Bournemouth that he's able to learn incredible quickly. He went from being known as a defensive liability to being able to coach one of the best defences in Europe [emoji38]

I cannot think of many managers I would trust to take us into Europe more.

Agreed although I would also trust pocch as well as he learned very quick with spurs in the champions league taking them to a semi final and final. I rate him very highly as well.

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Clearly been forgotten and I’m not buying this it’s ok to be happy with things overall but still criticise. When we get beat at home will these same folk boo the team off as it’s ok to criticise, but then wake up the next day and be quite happy with where the clubs at overall.

I think folk have forgotten what support is meant to be and perspective is crucial when looking at games and performances in isolation.

It’s ok to admit we weren’t great yesterday nobody disputes that, but criticising the club, manager and players comes across as being whingeing and spoilt in the current circumstances and quite frankly embarrassing.

The club I agree and the manager took some extent but the players? If people criticising BDB yesterday embarrasses you then you need thicker skin

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

The people moaning now when things are so good compared to where we’ve been are gonna be those who are right on the back of the team and manager when we inevitably do go through some leaner times.

This is exactly how it starts. And that negativity is infectious. 

I find it astounding how some people are moaning about it so much. 

2 hours ago, Wild Geese said:

Have we Peaked with this playing squad ?

The dynamics have changed massively, I suspect the mentality of the players has changed from desperation, determination and pure passion, a year ago we were fighting for our Premier  League survival, every game was a Cup Final !

Now the whole aura surrounding NUFC , from every angle including the supporter base, is that now going into games we expect to Win them.

Can't fault the effort, but the urgency and desire to Win the game has been replaced with, we'll win this and we should have Won this game.

Sheff Wed should have been a wake up call, instead all we did was make excuses, instead of recognising Wednesday wanted it more than us.

Has Eddie Howe reached the summit of his ability ?

I'll probably gets pelters for this, but as the saying goes, "it's nice to be nice, but nice guys win nothing!"

Eddie deserves every accolade, his transformation of the players has been magical, Joelinton in particular, borders on the unbelievable, is Eddie Howe capable of taking us to the next level, maybe he is, but do the owners gamble on a Eddie future or do they find an experienced European Manager, someone with Champions League experience and a track record of winning Leagues and Titles.

A lot depends on the Carabao Cup game and the remaining league games, Win the Cup and finish the season strong with a top four finish and I'd expect Eddie is safe for another year, if the wheels fall off and we fall in a heap, Eddie Howe's future with Newcastle United will be in doubt!

NUFC is a different beast now, we are not here just to compete, make no bones about it, we are here to be the BEST.

Tin hat on!

You need more than a tin hat for rubbish :lol:

7 minutes ago, LV said:

The people moaning now when things are so good compared to where we’ve been are gonna be those who are right on the back of the team and manager when we inevitably do go through some leaner times.

You’re right - not long ago we couldn’t beat the teams around the relegation area but hang on that’s what we’ve been doing recently with Leeds, West Ham and Bournemouth.

Just because people are showing their unhappiness with recent form shouldn’t astound you as people will give their feedback after each game - it’s human nature and perfectly fine.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

You’re right - not long ago we couldn’t beat the teams around the relegation area but hang on that’s what we’ve been doing recently with Leeds, West Ham and Bournemouth.

Just because people are showing their unhappiness with recent form shouldn’t astound you as people will give their feedback after each game - it’s human nature and perfectly fine.

We’re 4th. In February. Get a grip. 

This season has been an absolute success. Everyone gets frustrated in the heat of the moment, during a game when your teams not quite doing it but once the dust settles on a result, it's super important to reflect on the medium and long term.

This season is beyond our wildest dreams of even 6 month ago, let alone 18 months. We are in fucking dreamland. A cup final and in the top 4? Madness.

Imagine what it's going to be like next season when we add 4 quality players to the ranks? Just lush.

16 minutes ago, LV said:

We’re 4th. In February. Get a grip. 

Just saying - people like giving opinions and that’s perfectly fine, I’m delighted with where the clubs at but not happy at dropping those points recently, the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Edited by Gawalls

Well I was surprised by that. We looked a different team to the one that has played all our other matches since the break. Not sure if it was the Howe/Fraser effect, the impact of new signings or we have finally turned a corner. The best thing about it was we didn't put 11 men in our box with 30 minutes to go to try and defend the lead and forget about any thoughts of attacking. It's been painful to watch us throw points away with such a negative mindset lately, so pleased we still tried to get forward yesterday.

Wasn't impressed with the ref giving a lot of soft decisions your way, especially in the first half and for Almiron. And I've no idea how Botman stayed on the pitch. Thems the breaks when you're down the bottom though.

I think the injuries disrupted you but even aside from that, you weren't on your game. If you replayed that match at the same levels for both teams 9 times, you'd probably get three wins, three defeats and three draws. So a draw was probably the right result in the end.

Weren't you linked with James Maddison before? It felt like he was exactly the kind of player you were missing. Some guile in and around the box. Not too sure about Isak in the two appearances I've seen. Pacey with inconsistent ball skills but as he's only coming back from injury maybe he needs game time. Unlucky for you that Wilson was injured as I'm pretty sure he would have scored yesterday.

From our perspective, I'm not sure what to think. Another defeat would surely have been the end of O'Neil. Although I said that three defeats ago and here we are. If we can match those performance levels for the rest of the season we may scrap out enough points to scramble to safety. I'm not sure I relish more time under O'Neil though. I never want to team to lose so I hope there's a long term plan at the club!

Having players back from injury made a huge difference to us, and our options on the bench. We were actually able to bolster things with subs for a change. Four players returned from injury yesterday, only five more still out. Maybe six if the injury that meant Senesi went off is something to worry about.

I don't get why Fraser was made to come along and sit on the bench when he was never going to come on. I'm sure Eddie had his reasons but I was surprised by that. Meanwhile, it was good to see the ovation for Howe after the final whistle. More than well deserved.

Good luck in the cup final. Hopefully we get to play you in the league again next season!

Arsenal drawing, man city drawing, liverpool being very poor, tottenham up and down like a yo-yo…

puts a bit of perspective on to our draws!

We were always going to get a few dodgy games at some point, surely we can accept we wouldn’t go the whole season mauling everyone!!!

midfield was leggy and so was defence yesterday. Our intense press may be taking a toll on the team.

plus… Bruno missing is such a huge loss!

There are 3 types of perspective here, in my view.

1. Long-term perspective looking backwards: we’ve come a very long way quickly, and it’s not much over a year since we were circling the drain. Against this perspective, everything is fantastic.

2. Long-term perspective looking forwards: our aim is to challenge for trophies and qualify for the CL. We are ahead of the game in that regard. Against this perspective, it’s exciting as hell but it has changed the context against which people view the squad and our results. That’s where the concern about this patchy run of form and the poor transfer window comes from, I think. 

3. immediate perspective on the match itself: objectively, we played really poorly against a very poor side. That very poor side made us look distinctly second best / we made them look good. It’s probably a bit of each. It was a wretched performance and we were lucky to escape with a point. 

This is why the “perspective” argument being used only as set out 1 above is limited. There are different perspectives and contexts, and some of them justify concern at yesterday’s performance.

1 hour ago, LV said:

Think there has to be a balance, the ownership has done brilliantly overall but if the team and individuals have a bad game it’s not unfair to say so. The criticism posted yesterday in the main wasn’t over the top, didn’t see the majority screaming to banish Burn and never pick him again. The games done and we move on.

Edited by SAK
Changed wording.

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

The club I agree and the manager took some extent but the players? If people criticising BDB yesterday embarrasses you then you need thicker skin

Dan Burn the lad who got us into the semi final and gives 100% every game. Aye let’s criticise the lad and see what good that does, he’ll be replaced in due course, why would anyone want to criticise him ffs. 

Edited by Whitley mag

6 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Dan Burn the lad who got us into the semi final and gives 100% every game. Aye let’s criticise the lad and see what good that does, he’ll be replaced in due course, why would anyone want to criticise him ffs. 

You’re mixing up criticising his performance yesterday with criticising him - when I’m at work my team are more than welcome to tell me their not happy with my performance, I don’t take it as a personal attack.

Edited by Gawalls

Ha ha some canny replies fellas:lol:

No way am I advocating Eddie Howe being given the boot.....

The disappointment of the Bournemouth result and the subsequent criticism of the lack of performance by the players, prompted my evaluations....

Back in the day.....70s, the matchday programme ran a Poll asking fans, would you want a team that plays with flare and excitement or would you sacrifice entertainment, for a successful team who grind out results ?

The vast majority voted for the exciting team playing with flare! 

We are not the Newcastle of old, hopefully relegations are not something to fear anymore, I'd like to think those days are cast to history and never to return.

Our future looks rosy, it will take time and I'm confident we will become a giant of the game, the Saudis aren't here for a laugh and a joke, there not spending and not concerned about a return......

does anyone believe the owners really want to play second fiddle to Qatar, The Americans, Chinese, Malays, Thai's and the Brits!

To reiterate I fully endorse and support Eddie Howe as our Manager, being a realist I also recognise one swallow doesn't make a summer, I hope Eddie continues with his successful tenure, I honestly do, but I've been around long enough to know things change quickly in football.

I'll shut the fuck up now, however........there's a fella in the background with massive experience, won titles galore, played a part in the takeover and I'm positive with his experience he could mentor Eddie Howe if required.......

RAFAO0

3 minutes ago, Wild Geese said:

Ha ha some canny replies fellas:lol:

No way am I advocating Eddie Howe being given the boot.....

The disappointment of the Bournemouth result and the subsequent criticism of the lack of performance by the players, prompted my evaluations....

Back in the day.....70s, the matchday programme ran a Poll asking fans, would you want a team that plays with flare and excitement or would you sacrifice entertainment, for a successful team who grind out results ?

The vast majority voted for the exciting team playing with flare! 

We are not the Newcastle of old, hopefully relegations are not something to fear anymore, I'd like to think those days are cast to history and never to return.

Our future looks rosy, it will take time and I'm confident we will become a giant of the game, the Saudis aren't here for a laugh and a joke, there not spending and not concerned about a return......

does anyone believe the owners really want to play second fiddle to Qatar, The Americans, Chinese, Malays, Thai's and the Brits!

To reiterate I fully endorse and support Eddie Howe as our Manager, being a realist I also recognise one swallow doesn't make a summer, I hope Eddie continues with his successful tenure, I honestly do, but I've been around long enough to know things change quickly in football.

I'll shut the fuck up now, however........there's a fella in the background with massive experience, won titles galore, played a part in the takeover and I'm positive with his experience he could mentor Eddie Howe if required.......

RAFAO0

I love our “Club” at the moment and see no need to revert to a “Cloob!”

Playing a high pressing tactic, as we do, is fatiguing on the players and it's starting to show through performance and injuries. Eddie will probably want to move to a position with a better caliber of squad, the high press becomes less important and we begin to dominate percieved weaker teams through posession of the ball and incisive attacking play like Man City have displayed for a long time.

19 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

You’re mixing up criticising his performance yesterday with criticising him - when I’m at work my team are more than welcome to tell me their not happy with my performance, I don’t take it as a personal attack.

It all manifests into moans and groans at the match which don’t do a player any good. The match day crowd are shite enough at the minute, it’s support the players need not criticism, they’re fucked and playing well above themselves, not sure what there is to criticise at the minute. 

Edited by Whitley mag

all the top 6 are looking a little leggy, not just us.

got bruno  to come back rested and also i think once targett is back it will give us a different dimesion on the left.

maxi looked better yesterday with more game time under his belt.

just got to keep Big Jow away from another yellow.

gordon will have to step up big time if he's going to replace willock against liverpool.

Eddie Howe has made me fall in love with Newcastle again. If he left, I'd be heartbroken. I think he's an amazing manager; kind, thoughtful, dedicated and above all, highly intelligent. 

Much more intelligent than some people on here thinking we've "outgrown him". 

If anything, he is so good that our own owners never expected us to be this good and we are over achieving. BECAUSE of Eddie, not in spite of him. 

The aim this season was a good cup run and top 10/8 I assume. 

And now we are 4th, with some small space in between us and 5th, in a cup final - all this with some championship players and players that Eddie himself has improved. 

Anyone thinking our success is down to anything but that man needs their head rolling. 

3 hours ago, LV said:

IMO they should scrap season tickets so the whole ground doesn't end up like the east stand. If you aren't entitled to be there, and you have to work at it a bit, the more likely you will be positive. 

6 hours ago, Wild Geese said:

Have we Peaked with this playing squad ?

The dynamics have changed massively, I suspect the mentality of the players has changed from desperation, determination and pure passion, a year ago we were fighting for our Premier  League survival, every game was a Cup Final !

Now the whole aura surrounding NUFC , from every angle including the supporter base, is that now going into games we expect to Win them.

Can't fault the effort, but the urgency and desire to Win the game has been replaced with, we'll win this and we should have Won this game.

Sheff Wed should have been a wake up call, instead all we did was make excuses, instead of recognising Wednesday wanted it more than us.

Has Eddie Howe reached the summit of his ability ?

I'll probably gets pelters for this, but as the saying goes, "it's nice to be nice, but nice guys win nothing!"

Eddie deserves every accolade, his transformation of the players has been magical, Joelinton in particular, borders on the unbelievable, is Eddie Howe capable of taking us to the next level, maybe he is, but do the owners gamble on a Eddie future or do they find an experienced European Manager, someone with Champions League experience and a track record of winning Leagues and Titles.

A lot depends on the Carabao Cup game and the remaining league games, Win the Cup and finish the season strong with a top four finish and I'd expect Eddie is safe for another year, if the wheels fall off and we fall in a heap, Eddie Howe's future with Newcastle United will be in doubt!

NUFC is a different beast now, we are not here just to compete, make no bones about it, we are here to be the BEST.

Tin hat on!

Howe has been here one year, and has taken us from relegation battlers to a top 4 position in February and a cup final, with a squad that is still not fit for purpose, and you are questioning if he has reached the summit of his ability?! And why are you talking about him being nice, as if he is some sort of wet blanket and soft touch?

Horrendous and incredibly embarrassing post.