Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (11/02/2023)

Disco

Just now, Armchair Pundit said:

The team looked flat, tired, out of ideas and their passing was dogshit. Whatever we had for the first half of the season has gone, whether that's other team's sussing us out and us having no plan b or whether it's the players losing their focus and motivation I don't know. Either way, there's no chance we're beating the Mancs in the final if we keep playing like this, I mean I'd like to think not having Bruno is a factor but we were drifting this way before he got suspended. Maybe it's burnout, that'd be kind of unserstandable, possibly distractions off the field with cameras from Amazon (if that's been going on yet), I'm just fed up with the current lack of intensity and precision which we had before the World Cup.

... and before anyone says "calm down, it's a knee jerk reaction, we're on this many points better than last season, etc, etc", it's great where we are and I appreciate that, I really do, I'm not expecting to win the league and yes, we ARE a position a million times better than we were under Fat Mike et all - but it doesn't change the fact we look f*cked and incapable.

Only thing I would argue is that there was a span of 7 games or so in the first half of the season where we really struggled before that winning run.

5 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

The team looked flat, tired, out of ideas and their passing was dogshit. Whatever we had for the first half of the season has gone, whether that's other team's sussing us out and us having no plan b or whether it's the players losing their focus and motivation I don't know. Either way, there's no chance we're beating the Mancs in the final if we keep playing like this, I mean I'd like to think not having Bruno is a factor but we were drifting this way before he got suspended. Maybe it's burnout, that'd be kind of unserstandable, possibly distractions off the field with cameras from Amazon (if that's been going on yet), I'm just fed up with the current lack of intensity and precision which we had before the World Cup.

... and before anyone says "calm down, it's a knee jerk reaction, we're on this many points better than last season, etc, etc", it's great where we are and I appreciate that, I really do, I'm not expecting to win the league and yes, we ARE a position a million times better than we were under Fat Mike et all - but it doesn't change the fact we look f*cked and incapable.

It's a combination of tiredness, lack of depth and players with one eye on the cup final. 

We're still punching massively above our weight, and our fans need to stop reacting like fickle and entitled arseholes. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, UncleBingo said:

It's a combination of tiredness, lack of depth and players with one eye on the cup final. 

We're still punching massively above our weight, and our fans need to stop reacting like fickle and entitled arseholes. Just my opinion.

Such a shit take. We played badly today, it’s anti-factual to suggest otherwise. Folk are rightly miffed. They’re championship bound, have a mediocre squad and a sub-mediocre manager in literally his first job. It’s fine to be held by a team that plays well but today we held them, just. Worst performance of the season. Hate the “well it’s a point” argument. Fuck that, we were rubbish.

People criticising the January window need to read the Athletic article about it with quotes from the top. 

We’ve got a plan and we’re sticking to it. No dickheads, no paying above our value, holding steady to the targets we’ve identified. 

Wasn't a great performance and it resembled a continuation of the downward curve in performances since Christmas.

I don't think we were appalling or dreadful or dogshit; we were sloppy, leggy, and moody. But we scored a good goal and a late winner, though it would've been harsh on Bournemouth, wouldn't have been a daylight robbery. We were lively and positive and it's not like we were camped in our half.

It turns out that the team needed refreshing in January if the momentum was going to be sustained, now a litany of injuries and suspensions is rubbing salt into the wounds. Presumably though, they're content with the progress made so far and have 'gambled' on waiting until the  summer to strengthen strategically with more long-term targets, a la Isak and Botman, as opposed to hastily plugging gaps, a la Burn/Targett. The immediate impact of that might be to miss out on qualifying for CL, but it's hardly like staying unbeaten is harming our chances. 

Speaking of Targett, I'd love to see him come in and pick up where he left off at the end of last season. I love Burn but he's a total liability atm.

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Such a shit take. We played badly today, it’s anti-factual to suggest otherwise. Folk are rightly miffed. They’re championship bound, have a mediocre squad and a sub-mediocre manager in literally his first job. It’s fine to be held by a team that plays well but today we held them, just. Worst performance of the season. Hate the “well it’s a point” argument. Fuck that, we were rubbish.

His point still stands. 

34 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I have to say ASM is incredibly disappointing.

Huge opportunity with Bruno out recently to get back in the team and make an impact, and he has been really poor on the whole.

His passing has been terrible and he seems to be getting shrugged off the ball incredibly easily of late.

He's blowing it big time IMO.

Not sure this is that much of a surprise. ASM is a very talented dribbler one of the best in the league, but everything else about his game is poor, passing, shooting, tactical awareness, positioning the full monty. Sell.

Just now, Theregulars said:

Calling people entitled for saying today was shit?! No it doesn’t. That was a bad performance. You’re thick if you think otherwise.

His point still stands though 

4 minutes ago, LV said:

People criticising the January window need to read the Athletic article about it with quotes from the top. 

We’ve got a plan and we’re sticking to it. No dickheads, no paying above our value, holding steady to the targets we’ve identified. 

Could have, should have secured someone on loan at the very least. That, or don’t sell Shelvey. It was not a good window given the opportunity before the club and shortness in midfield. Opportunities to finish in the top four are rare. Carpe diem, and all that.

19 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Is wanting to give a team second from bottom in the league a game being fickled and entitled? How about when we were at home playing Leeds who are fourth from bottom or last week playing playing West Ham whose fifth from bottom? When does it become a worrying pattern of too many dropped points against the worst teams in the league 

Edited by Gawalls

Just now, gazza ladra said:

Could have, should have secured someone on loan at the very least. That, or don’t sell Shelvey. It was not a good window given the opportunity before the club and shortness in midfield. Opportunities to finish in the top four are rare. Carpe diem, and all that.

Shelvey pleaded to go. We don’t stand in the way of that. 

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

And I think that was a mistake. A firm but polite no would have been my move. We don’t have a deep enough squad.

Yep, that would motivate him and the squad. 

15 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Spurs get stuffed at Leicester, Man United drew 2-2 at home to a team than never got out their half against us.

Its football. Not the team highest in the league wins ball

There’s are one off results- ours has been something like a six off now

13 minutes ago, LV said:

Also worth listening to the TF podcast recorded the other night with Caulkin and Hope etc.

14 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Shit take? I didn't even mention the game, I was talking about our drop off in standards in general.

The bottom line is, our squad is not good enough for the top 4 (or 6 even) and we were always going to struggle when losing some of our better players. 

Nothing is getting any easier. Teams are working out our constant right hand side attack. Our style of play. Although I agree we need to change things up a bit. I also think Bournemouth played a scrappy game that we are not used to.

This team already blow my mind with the sheer enthusiasm and desire. Something we have lacked for fucking years.

Eddie is outstanding. The team is outstanding. We have lost 1 all season. Could be unbeaten if it wasn’t for fergietime. A few of us need to realistically look at that and see how far we have come.

18 month ago this would of been a 70/30 to Bournemouth possession and a 3-0 loss.