Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

The fact your team is making progress into the oppositions box and you’re more focused on synchronised clapping and droning on with constant defeating drums is ridiculous to me. But it’s about different football cultures. The drum itself isn’t a bad thing if you’ve sparingly, like one used to be at Spurs and Blackburn.

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

They're miffed they ain't got unbridled access anymore, matey. Hence the angst at ballot "winners" ?

Every single person I know who's been successful in the ballot is a died in the wool, whole hearted supporter. 

The simple fact is this mythical super atmosphere scenario is exactly that, a myth. 

Absolutely fantastic when they're all "on it" but, like most home crowds, they need a goal, a tackle, a ref fuck up etc etc. 

I used to go all the time, I've heard silence before ?

Perhaps some supporters are still mired on the Ashley misery and have been so groomed by mediocrity they can't adjust. Clearly, when the teams on fire, the crowds on fire. 

No, the problem with the ballot is that it has taken away that element from match day experience that you "earned" your right to be in the ground. I've been going for decades too and there has always been an element that you needed to put the work in to get your place in the stadium. Whether it be standing in an actual queue at the box office for all-ticket games, or simply just arriving at the ground at 2pm to get your regular place on the terrace, there was a feeling that you had done your bit as a dedicated fan to be there. The ballot has completely destroyed that, and allowed people who simply could not give a fuck about the club to get a ticket ahead of people who are, to be blunt, better supporters.

Bin the ballot and bring back the queue, with the ability to choose your own seat. If the club want to keep tabs on everyone via a paid membership scheme then fair enough. But members should still have to put the extra effort into getting a seat. It's the best way of separating the wheat from the chaff.

I'd be absolutely gutted if we brought drums into our atmosphere. For all the noise they made last night, it was still a horrible experience and not in any way something to admire. In a way, you can see why the German & French leagues have been left in the dust compared to the Premier League. Despite the noise, their atmospheres are completely devoid of drama and manufactured to the hilt. That comes through to the TV viewer and probably bores them rigid. Give me an atmosphere of 50,000 people wildly celebrating getting a corner compared to 80,000 robots banging a drum for 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

It was actually from 20-30 mins before kickoff, watching TNT pre game and they couldnt talk due to it drowning them out. Last night the teams came out to very muted reactions. The cameras clearly picked up loads videoing the flags instead of helping.

On this, it's a bit hard to clap when you're being asked to hold up a card for a display tbf.  Could be a reason.

14 minutes ago, Wandy said:

No, the problem with the ballot is that it has taken away that element from match day experience that you "earned" your right to be in the ground. I've been going for decades too and there has always been an element that you needed to put the work in to get your place in the stadium. Whether it be standing in an actual queue at the box office for all-ticket games, or simply just arriving at the ground at 2pm to get your regular place on the terrace, there was a feeling that you had done your bit as a dedicated fan to be there. The ballot has completely destroyed that, and allowed people who simply could not give a fuck about the club to get a ticket ahead of people who are, to be blunt, better supporters.

Bin the ballot and bring back the queue, with the ability to choose your own seat. If the club want to keep tabs on everyone via a paid membership scheme then fair enough. But members should still have to put the extra effort into getting a seat. It's the best way of separating the wheat from the chaff.

And if the 10am timing is an issue, hold back tickets for a 7pm slot.

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

On this, it's a bit hard to clap when you're being asked to hold up a card for a display tbf.  Could be a reason.

Was a very muted roar too, agree on the clapping but even pre match there was nothing. PSG the place was rocking well before the teams came out. Plenty managed to video the display mind

hard to tell watching on TV but I imagine the drum was intimidating and off-putting to try and compete with because it was absolutely relentless. We're gonna have to learn to compete with it though if we're going to be in Europe often because it seems like most European fans bring one. 

56 minutes ago, wormy said:

I know it's not the same, being only 15 minutes and probably to stretch the legs a bit. But I have to say for all the talk of staying seated, I find it highly irritating when the ref's whistle go's for half time and suddenly everyone decides to stand for the whole 15 minutes. :lol: Feel like I must look an absolute weirdo kicking back in my seat thumbing through the programme.

Absolute fucking pet hate of mine.

Stand for 10 mins pre game. Stand for 15 mins at HT. Unless you’re literally frail and unable to stand for 45 mins - I don’t get it :lol:

7 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Was a very muted roar too, agree on the clapping but even pre match there was nothing. PSG the place was rocking well before the teams came out. Plenty managed to video the display mind

Thought the house music was a bit odd when the teams were warming up like :lol:

15 minutes ago, Sima said:

I actually couldn't see the teams come out because the cards were being held up as high as possible by the very tall person in front of me [emoji38] that might've been a niche problem for me on the night though.

Up in level 7 last night, usual seats, my lads and a few mates.. there’s 4 blokes behind who I’ve never seen in the 12 years we’ve been sat there… no problem with that..

Everyone happy to join in the pre match wor flag show, I’m thinking fuckin great, the atmosphere is going to be cracking again, adrenaline pumping, songs belting out…and then what happens… yep as soon as the ref blows his whistle my lad gets a tap on the shoulder and this cockney wanker tells him rather abruptly to sit daaaan…  which is simply followed by…

“what was that?”

”sit daaan I can’t see”

”go fuck yourself”

Ok I could try and be a bit more diplomatic but with hindsight I think I’m just more disappointed that folk don’t at least try and get caught up in the whole match day experience… especially champions league for Christ sake… 

Seems Twitter is as lively as this thread this morning. As a fanbase, we need to support the team but we also need to welcome & educate new fans too. It's pretty shit to tell anyone new to fuck off and it's not going to help matters in the long run either when it comes to stadium expansion.

I haven’t noticed any change in the atmosphere really. Certain sections of the ground are louder but that’s always been the case. 

English fans generally respond to what’s happening in the game. We could have conducted displays like European ultras but that would be a complete departure. 

Seems like the ballot is a dividing issue, with some good and some bad coming of it. I don't know what the answer is.

I'm North West based and try to get to as many games as I can, usually 5 or 6 per season, so the ballot is an opportunity for me to get tickets where I might otherwise be unable to. 

But on the other hand, it does invite the tourists who are only there to pose for a selfie for Instagram and don't have that same passion the rest of us have. This will only increase the more successful we get.

Difficult one really.

Using the drum as an excuse for people not singing is a bit pathetic like, it's not like it stops anyone else from making noise, home fans in the Bundesliga aren't silenced when the away fans turn up with a drum. The away fans being above the home fans in the Leazes might make it more of a problem but while it made singing more difficult against PSG it didn't stop us completely.

The ballot does play a canny big part though with the lifting randomly allocated seats. Likeminded fans would/could get together and sit in the corner or just together in general to sing rather than singing on their tod surrounded by miserable gadgies. Part of the experience of going to the match is going with your mates or family, no?

Out of my 3 ballot successes I've only been happy with 1 of the seats I've been given. Then the resale is just wherever you can get; I'd never choose to sit in the Milburn but it was all I could get for last night, Liverpool and Man City in the League Cup. Wouldn't choose to sit behind a goal either but had to for Brentford.

11 hours ago, nemtizz said:

English atmospheres are far too reactionary, whereas the Germs sing throughout, with zero reactions to scoring. 

One of the weirdest things I've seen was our match at Legia Warsaw this season - their fans sang literally start to finish, but with absolutely zero change in the singing when they scored or when they conceded, it was like they were just singing and there was no match going on.

I think overall the ballot has had a negative effect compared to last two seasons, but mainly down to the auto-allocated seating and people not being able to congregate in areas where it's acceptable to be stood up and loud

Negative season ticket holders is a much bigger problem though. But also much harder problem to solve, because they'll cling onto those tickets for dear life, even when they clearly only go to the match to sit in silence or hurl abuse at our own side

At least the ballot issue could be solved by either scrapping it entirely, or giving people a choice on where to sit and more opportunities to sit in groups of friends & family

Edited by bobbydazzla

Not being able to select a seat is a complete joke, it puts me off even bothering to be honest. It can't be right when you feel isolated and almost like a stranger going to a ground you've been to many many times.

Edited by Bada Bing