Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

I wouldn’t be happy if someone told me to sit down at an away game but the not sitting in your own seat annoys me. Some people just don’t want to stand with 4/5 people in the space of 2/3 seats like happens. Must even more annoying for people with kids or their missus there.

Are they still checking tickets at away games, or was it a bit of an empty threat?  My mate has been to a couple of aways, he has 4 ST's and on both times he had a couple with him that weren't the correct name on the ticket and no dramas.  

I think he'd be happy to help me out.  But I feel like it isn't worth the risk for him and his points, no matte how small the chance of getting pulled is.  

Anecdotally, a few mates have said the away ends seem worse off this season.  But I've not been so can't comment and I think it could be confirmation bias, due to everyone being pissed off with how they have handled the ticket changes.  I've been in plenty of shit away ends down south over the years. 

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Are they still checking tickets at away games, or was it a bit of an empty threat?  My mate has been to a couple of aways, he has 4 ST's and on both times he had a couple with him that weren't the correct name on the ticket and no dramas.  

I think he'd be happy to help me out.  But I feel like it isn't worth the risk for him and his points, no matte how small the chance of getting pulled is.  

Anecdotally, a few mates have said the away ends seem worse off this season.  But I've not been so can't comment and I think it could be confirmation bias, due to everyone being pissed off with how they have handled the ticket changes.  I've been in plenty of shit away ends down south over the years. 

Yeah, they are still checking.

However, checks are probably limited to the region of ~100 tickets, so if you do the maths, the odds are in your favour of not being checked.

That being said, clearly it’s all about whether you, or more realistically, your mate want to take the risk.

I haven’t actually heard what punishment, if any, has been handed out to anyone that’s been caught out. You’d guess for a first offence it would probably just be a (final) warning, but like I say, I don’t know that for sure.

I'm starting to think that we need a new song where the whole ground join in as one pre match. Sadly I think the Blaydon Races is a lost cause for anything like that. Howay Fender et al pull your fingers out and come up with a belter!

Edited by pedro111

2 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

I'm starting to think that we need a new song where the whole ground join in as one pre match. Sadly I think the Blaydon Races is a lost cause for anything like that. Howay Fender et al pull your fingers out and come up with a belter!

Same after the match should be an old classic with local roots, for a club steeped in local history we seem to want to downplay it and play music from Glasgow and fucking Liverpool instead.

11 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Same after the match should be an old classic with local roots, for a club steeped in local history we seem to want to downplay it and play music from Glasgow and fucking Liverpool instead.

The first verse or couple of verses of Geordie in Wonderland have potential if they are sang at the same pace as the song. Would be great. Also, it's a perfect post match song!

9 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Southern games have generally had poorer atmospheres in my experience than games in Yorkshire / North West going back 20+ years. Not a new thing 

8 hours ago, SteV said:

Yeah, they are still checking.

However, checks are probably limited to the region of ~100 tickets, so if you do the maths, the odds are in your favour of not being checked.

That being said, clearly it’s all about whether you, or more realistically, your mate want to take the risk.

I haven’t actually heard what punishment, if any, has been handed out to anyone that’s been caught out. You’d guess for a first offence it would probably just be a (final) warning, but like I say, I don’t know that for sure.

I’ve heard people are still giving tickets to non named people under the proviso that if ticket is rejected at the gate they just leave. Not sure what the club could do in this instance as in theory there’s multiple reasons why you might not go in 

57 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

End of Big River would be ideal I think. 

I’ve always wondered why Coming Home Newcastle has never caught on, especially away. I know there’s loads of verses but even a snippet would be class. Should definitely be celebrating local music before owt else. 

On 08/10/2023 at 22:52, Heron said:

Ah. Canny rich considering we paid for their stadium :lol:

The Olympic stadium is like the country's biggest council house and west ham the single mother with 10 kids to different fathers.

9 hours ago, OCOCOL said:

I’ve heard people are still giving tickets to non named people under the proviso that if ticket is rejected at the gate they just leave. Not sure what the club could do in this instance as in theory there’s multiple reasons why you might not go in 

Tbh, there’s no other option than walking away. Waste of time going to the box office and trying to claim a ticket you don’t have ID for.

I suspect that if you get given a duff ticket and you don’t appear at the box office and collect the genuine one, that gets noted down somewhere…

2 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Too be honest west ham has to be the worst away ground for supporters (even ours ! )

I mean they got it for free so surely they could have spent some money to make it work better for everyone.

I’ve done Upton Park 4 or 5 times (unbeaten) and I think it’s disgusting that they’ve left it for such a soulless permanent building site. 

On another note, I wish we would ditch Hey Jude pre match and bring Thunderstruck back. It’s just came on my Spotify. 

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Lindisfarne, AC/DC, Busker, Fender and even crocodile shoes would be better than hey Jude and moving on up.

You not just mixing your musical tastes for what works though?

Movin’ on up was quite an inspired choice as we climbed out of the relegation zone and the club started to grow again. Again Hey Jude seems to work for the masses and probably why a couple of clubs use it.

Couldnt see Crocodile Shoes working at all and what little I’ve heard of Fender is just MOR AOR. AC/DC/Thunderstruck pre match a good shout though. 

I don’t mind Moving on up. Glad we’ve not reverted to KC and the Sunshine Band yet. Not sure how I feel about Status Quo.

Thunderstruck in that period when the players are finished warming up before they come out would be class. 

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

You not just mixing your musical tastes for what works though?

Movin’ on up was quite an inspired choice as we climbed out of the relegation zone and the club started to grow again. Again Hey Jude seems to work for the masses and probably why a couple of clubs use it.

Couldnt see Crocodile Shoes working at all and what little I’ve heard of Fender is just MOR AOR. AC/DC/Thunderstruck pre match a good shout though. 

I was just messing with crocodile shoes, big river was great against Spurs in first match since takeover though.

That flag some lads had over in Milan with hey mister dreamseller on is the type of link we should be going for.

Play that after the game against PSG in ode to Eddie and I bet it would have taken off. 

It’s a perfect homage to Eddie Howe and would also make for a great display by Wor Flags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch_5dB1FkqY&pp=ygUWaGV5IG1pc3RlciBkcmVhbXNlbGxlcg%3D%3D

Edited by Whitley mag

17 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

But we need a song where the first few bars hit and the whole ground joins in as one. Something like that new Arsenal one. Even if you think it's shite it gets the whole ground joining in. 

It would help if the songs weren’t sang faster than the speed of light

Even once you figure out what the words are, keeping in time as they belt through it at a billion miles an hour is something even the finest Makina MC would struggle with 

Edited by bobbydazzla