Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

Felt like one tier good. One was'nt.

I.d checks killed alot of it. Saying that this year all clubs have been shite away and home ends. Liverpool v Man United you could hear a pin drop in home and away end, same as Arsenal v City. Both big fixtures.

Football attracting less game lads it seems, too many just want to be there to tell people it seems. Their home end was wank like tbf. 

Edited by NUFC91

The last 10 minutes were obviously great but I thought we sounded pitiful for the majority of that. Not surprised in the slightest tbh, in fact it was pretty much expected. Unfortunately the away contingent is now chock full of ST holders who wouldn’t have dreamed of being part of the away day experience pre-October 2021. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Away end wasn’t bad. Not a classic show of support but nothing to be critical over really. Quietest concourse I’ve experienced this season mind. Home support apart from a few roars for some big tackles was very subdued.

Understand the reasons but 12:30 UK is not conducive to a good footballing atmosphere.

Couldn’t move on the concourse. Not loud but could barely stand still.

21 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

Couldn’t move on the concourse. Not loud but could barely stand still.

I meant in terms of atmosphere/chants. Practically none unlike other aways this season.Was the biggest disappointment of the day TBH.

Nothing wrong with the top tier 

We sang virtually all game , no idea in regards to the lower tier 

Watched the full game back on tv as soon as I got in , and it sounded quite quiet on tv (muffled) …volume going up n down 

It didn’t do the atmosphere justice 

Concourses were quite quiet agreed 

I would give (Top tier) 8 out of 10

Home atmosphere went flat as Sunderland never got into the game.

Enjoyed the full day 

Edited by JonBez comesock

4 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Watched the full game back on tv as soon as I got in , and it sounded quite quiet on tv (muffled) …volume going up n down 

Concourses wete quite quiet agreed 

Enjoyed the full day 

Aye a was lower and upper tier seemed bouncing in comparison. My mates in upper tier said same thing.

41 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Concourses were quite quiet agreed 

Enjoyed the full day 

I would check your speakers as it sounded very loud on the telly to me. Even my old man who hasn’t got the best hearing said it was loud.

On 06/01/2024 at 21:25, ryanegg said:

I would check your speakers as it sounded very loud on the telly to me. Even my old man who hasn’t got the best hearing said it was loud.

Our fans sounded fine on my "telly box".  Yes, I'm using that from now on.

I was towards the top of the top tier and it was very noisy. Loads of singing, plenty of different songs and definitely limbs everywhere when the goals went in. Nobody was filming as we were too far away from the pitch. 

Watched the game back today and bizarrely our support did seem quiet. I'm sure they turned the crowd down when we were singing sweary songs, which is most of them!

Agreed about the mini crush on getting to the busses after the game. Was the fault of the police who held us back with their vans creating  a funnel and it did get a bit scary at one stage. 

I can't understand why we play music that's not from here. "Hey Jude" (Fuck off, it's a barmy army song from Liverpool). Boring as fuck.

A cut down version of Hells Bells or Thuderstruck by Brian Johnston would be perfect. Before Local Hero.

Thunder Struck or Hells Bells

And at the end of the game "We've gotta get out of this place" by the Animals"

I am no expert on Music here but celebrate what's ours. I have always loved "Indy" music or those that love to be heard.

There is so much dross in the world, we should embrace our own artists.

The support debate will run and run forever now unfortunately.

Social media mainly to blame with false accounts many from those who feel pushed out now the club is enforcing T&Cs trying to pick fault and run it down and magnify anything that suits their narrative.

There is also the changing in social behaviour as time goes on etc not as conducive to “limbs” or “singing” etc. Same as at a music gig these days.

However what support is best for the team/individual players? Is it song after song? Or just cheering and urging the team on more effective? In which case not a lot has changed.

I think some fans mistake them having a good time singing as great support when it could be argued it’s not as effective as we’ve thought compared to just cheering. 

Either way silence is never the answer. Yesterday I’d argue there was plenty of support but mainly of the later type.

Watch the match-cam and judge for yourselves if our end was quiet…

9 hours ago, LFEE said:

Social media mainly to blame with false accounts many from those who feel pushed out now the club is enforcing T&Cs trying to pick fault and run it down and magnify anything that suits their narrative.

There is also the changing in social behaviour as time goes on etc not as conducive to “limbs” or “singing” etc. Same as at a music gig these days.

However what support is best for the team/individual players? Is it song after song? Or just cheering and urging the team on more effective? In which case not a lot has changed.

I think some fans mistake them having a good time singing as great support when it could be argued it’s not as effective as we’ve thought compared to just cheering. 

Either way silence is never the answer. Yesterday I’d argue there was plenty of support but mainly of the later type.

I agree with this 

I love all the songs and joining in ,but also love shouting / motivating / pushing the team on 

Nice to mix it up a bit during the match , to line up with what happening on the pitch 

Faif play to these lads, pleased they trying. Really need some younger lads getting tickets

Screenshot_20240109-191826_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by NUFC91

18 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Faif play to these lads, pleased they trying. Really need some younger lads getting tickets

Screenshot_20240109-191826_Samsung Internet.jpg

Fair play to them 👏 … any idea what they’ll do when they reach SJP 15:45 approx?

Was at Boro v Chelsea last night and sadly have to report that their atmosphere absolutely pisses all over ours, if I was to compare that to our Semi Final last year.

Firstly their DJ does a great job in working up the crowd. It was already full 15 mins before kick off so he turned the music off and just let the crowd sing and it was the best build up to a match I can remember in years.

We were in the West Stand, equivalent to the Milburn at SJP, and people were bouncing up and down in there! Certainly wouldn't happen at SJP. Their main singing end was to our right in the South Stand. It's clear that they have an organised Ultras group in there and there's even a podium for the drummer to stand in :lol: What I will say is that they never stopped all night. A full end, 5 or 6k all stood for the entire match and song after song. The North Stand opposite, although mainly seated except towards the back, was also very loud and both the East and West Stand regularly joined in. Made for a really noisy experience!

One thing I did notice was how different the demographic is between their fanbase and ours. In their main singing end it appeared to be all teenagers and lads in their 20s and 30s. Where were we it was more people in their 30s/40s but still loads of kids.. You can probably add 20 years onto that if you're talking about the SJP crowd.

Was nice, as a neutral, to be part of such a young, enthusiastic, vibrant support though although came away slightly envious I'll be honest.

They might get sanctioned for an entire Stand singing "You're just a town full of rent boys" at the Chelsea fans however. That was very loud and will certainly have been picked up!

I noticed how young and up for it the Boro crowd looked on the telly, not surprised to hear it was good in the ground

Big problem Boro have is Pigbag. That dogshit tune needs a one way ticket to the Mariana Trench

And I'd rather have a ground full of OAP's sitting on their hands than play music after a goal

And they did that awful flashing lights thing too

Edited by bobbydazzla

On 08/01/2024 at 00:27, LFEE said:

Brilliant post 

3 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

I noticed how young and up for it the Boro crowd looked on the telly, not surprised to hear it was good in the ground

Big problem Boro have is Pigbag. That dogshit tune needs a one way ticket to the Mariana Trench

And I'd rather have a ground full of OAP's sitting on their hands than play music after a goal

And they did that awful flashing lights thing too

It'll be best part of 20 years since I was last there. Couldn't believe they still play it :lol:

Another correlation I've worked out is that the easier it is to get tickets, the easier it is to get a good atmosphere going. I bought 4 prime seats altogether in a prime location on general sale and without any purchase history. It enables likeminded people to group together much easier.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

It'll be best part of 20 years since I was last there. Couldn't believe they still play it :lol:

Another correlation I've worked out is that the easier it is to get tickets, the easier it is to get a good atmosphere going. I bought 4 prime seats altogether in a prime location on general sale and without any purchase history. It enables likeminded people to group together much easier.

It's one of the arguments for a new stadium for me. I think we're gonna have to accept there's gonna be 40,000+ wasting seats if we get successful - no fixing it - so our best hope is having another 30,000+ spare for more traditional supporters.

Edited by 80