Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

5 minutes ago, Scoot said:

I sit in Strawberry corner so to be honest, I don't see this negativity. Most, if not all get behind the team fir the majority. Obviously I can't speak for the whole corner but everyone around me is sound.

best part of the ground by miles. like being at a different game compared to most other parts of the stadium 

Edited by bobbydazzla

4 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

best part of the ground by miles. like being at a different game compared to most other parts of the stadium 

Honestly it's brilliant. I'll never ever move from there.

There's never been a good atmosphere against a Luton, even peak Keegan/atmosphere in the cup, certainly the last top flight game against them with mostly terrace was dead. That goes for pretty much everyone. There's always some games for everyone that's just bread and butter games atmospherically.

Pretty much everywhere has the same discussion. See the state of Villa on Tuesday.

Its been generations now since they were last regularly good anywhere in the country.

2 hours ago, NEEJ said:

Was a bloke in front of me in the Gallowgate who sat there in silence until he had a go at Eddie for not taking Burn off sooner after his gaffes. Completely silent as soon as we equalised. The mind fucking boggles. 

possibly me :blush:

49 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

There's never been a good atmosphere against a Luton, even peak Keegan/atmosphere in the cup, certainly the last top flight game against them with mostly terrace was dead. That goes for pretty much everyone. There's always some games for everyone that's just bread and butter games atmospherically.

Pretty much everywhere has the same discussion. See the state of Villa on Tuesday.

Its been generations now since they were last regularly good anywhere in the country.

It's not the lack of atmosphere I'm on about today

It was shit didn't expect owt else

The way the fans turned  toxic when that 4th went in was embarrassing. If we hadn't scored minutes later it was just starting to get even worse.

Stood in the Strawberry corner for the first time in years, got lucky with a re-sale ticket.

I thought it was class - and was refreshing to hear some of the old classics being belted out (Magpie ranger as an example) - compared to the rest of the ground, heard very little.

On 03/02/2024 at 18:35, bobbydazzla said:

I’ve only been in there once v Villa couple seasons back and it was ace. Night and day from some other areas. 

2 hours ago, RR15 said:

Stood in the Strawberry corner for the first time in years, got lucky with a re-sale ticket.

I thought it was class - and was refreshing to hear some of the old classics being belted out (Magpie ranger as an example) - compared to the rest of the ground, heard very little.

Was also in there for the first time since Liverpool. 

Lovely to hear some variety - love the full “Joe Harvey took a holiday” song, shame that the rest of the Gallowgate don’t join in til “Who’s that team we call we United” 

18 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Was also in there for the first time since Liverpool. 

Lovely to hear some variety - love the full “Joe Harvey took a holiday” song, shame that the rest of the Gallowgate don’t join in til “Who’s that team we call we United” 

Why is 'who's that team we call united so popular?' 

Admittedly I had a sabbatical during the Ashley era, but I never heard it before before then. 

3 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Admittedly I had a sabbatical during the Ashley era, but I never heard it before before then. 

Not sure, until maybe a year or two pre COVID you'd only ever hear the full song (Joe Harvey took a holiday/bring on your hearts your Hibs your Celtics/who's that team we call united) sung by a small number at away games or at the back of the corner. 

Then all of a sudden the final verse became our "main" chant overnight

3 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Not sure, until maybe a year or two pre COVID you'd only ever hear the full song (Joe Harvey took a holiday/bring on your hearts your Hibs your Celtics/who's that team we call united) sung by a small number at away games or at the back of the corner. 

Don't get me wrong, I'll join in any song, but it does seem to be the repetitive choice.

Also I've noticed that 'we love you new-sel' is now sung 'we love you new-castle' especially in parts of the ground away from strawberry corner.

9 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Burnley (a) 2018. Was belted out all second half and after the match, kicked on from there. 

21 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I said exactly this on here a few years ago when I started hearing it and a few people said "oh yeah we've always sang that" and I do not remember that at all. I used to go away semi-regularly from approx 2003-2013 and I'm positive I never ever heard or sang that song, but several people assured me I was wrong.

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

I said exactly this on here a few years ago when I started hearing it and a few people said "oh yeah we've always sang that" and I do not remember that at all. I used to go away semi-regularly from approx 2003-2013 and I'm positive I never ever heard that song, but several people assured me I was wrong.

You're right.

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

I said exactly this on here a few years ago when I started hearing it and a few people said "oh yeah we've always sang that" and I do not remember that at all. I used to go away semi-regularly from approx 2003-2013 and I'm positive I never ever heard that song, but several people assured me I was wrong.

I started going in 1980 and it was staple. The only other team I remember signing it back then were Boro. Swapping United for Boro obviously!

Just now, TwoForJoy said:

I started going in 1980 and it was staple. The only other team I remember signing it back then were Boro. Swapping United for Boro obviously!

That's interesting because that's kind of how I'm so sure that we didn't sign it at that time because my best mate is a Boro fan and I grew up on Teesside, I have always thought of it as a Boro song.

2 minutes ago, TwoForJoy said:

I always feared that manure could have sung this but hearing that makes me feel far more comfortable with it 

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

That's interesting because that's kind of how I'm so sure that we didn't sign it at that time because my best mate is a Boro fan and I grew up on Teesside, I have always thought of it as a Boro song.

Songs were a lot more localised back then. There was hardly any football on the telly, unlike today, when every song is pinched straight away because it's been broadcast on Sky/TNT.

2 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I always feared that manure could have sung this but hearing that makes me feel far more comfortable with it 

Be afraid, unfortunately. It was sung by them in the late 70s & early 80s religiously. NUFC fans never actually sung it at all in the same period. Weirdly it took off with our lot decades later, when Man U had basically ditched it from their songbook. As far as I was aware though, they were the original creators of it.

11 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I said exactly this on here a few years ago when I started hearing it and a few people said "oh yeah we've always sang that" and I do not remember that at all. I used to go away semi-regularly from approx 2003-2013 and I'm positive I never ever heard or sang that song, but several people assured me I was wrong.

It's been sung since I started going to aways in 2010, but as I say just a small number of folk singing all 3 verses usually 

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Be afraid, unfortunately. It was sung by them in the late 70s & early 80s religiously. NUFC fans never actually sung it at all in the same period. Weirdly it took off with our lot decades later, when Man U had basically ditched it from their songbook. As far as I was aware though, they were the original creators of it.

Tits!!!! I don't like it anymore