Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

4 hours ago, christ said:

I’ve only managed to get to a handful of matches this season and I’ve been staggered at how bad the atmosphere was. Granted when I had my ST I was always in the ‘singing section’, whether that was Level 7 or the Strawberry Corner, so it may have always been shit but sat in the Leazes earlier this season the most animated our fans got was when Murphy came on and immediately lost the ball.

I think a big issue is that for over a decade our fanbase has been motivated by spite. The best atmospheres I’ve been part of have been when we were balls to the wall against Ashley, or when there’s some sort of injustice happening on the pitch. Singing is what we do when we’re fucked off. Now we’re halfway decent a lot of our fans have no interest in shouting themselves hoarse, can just sit in silence and wait for the three points.

Ultimately any change in atmosphere needs to be driven by the supporters. We need to Toon Ultras type movement that will at least try to coordinate some sort of atmosphere during the 90 minutes. There are obviously barriers - current spread of supporters, difficulty in getting tickets etc - but maybe it needs to start by surveying fans in the ground who would be interested in this sort of thing about where they sit. If we can identify pockets of support it might help create a new singing section almost organically rather than hope the club to turf a load of fans out of their seats in the Gallowgate. It means fans know that if they start a chant there are people around them

who’ll join in, and members or people who purchase on general sale can try to sit in those areas if they want a sing-song.

It would also be good if someone stood at the next NUST election on the explicit promise they’ll push this issue with the club. Big ask, but I can’t imagine they wouldn’t win considering they could barely fill the committee at the last one.

Totally agree about what has been driving our fanbase in recent times, and I was thinking something similar myself recently. For the best part of 13 years we were reacting to negative drama and now, all of a sudden, there is nothing to complain about, nobody to fight and nothing to rail against…..and it’s left us a bit dumbstruck. We simply aren’t used to not having drama. We have gone from relegation certainties to Champions League challengers and legit cup-tie fighters in less than 12 months. We are struggling to adjust. :lol:

You look at teams like Man Utd and Liverpool and winning is in their DNA, and their support is completely at ease with it. We simply aren’t used to having this level of competency within the entire club and we are in the process of adjusting our entire mentality to this new reality.

In the next 5 years the club is going to be unrecognisable to the one we grew up with. My huge worry is that it’s going to change the fanbase into something that many of us despair of. The thought of us playing in a 65k stadium and 95% of it being full of people who had never been to a match before October 2021 is a horrifying thought.

Right now, there must only be about 34k season ticket holders. That gives the club a useful spare 15k seats to use efficiently so that the accoustics can be properly sorted out, and therefore Ashley’s worst legacy can be undone. To me, it’s the most important issue facing the club. I really don’t want Man Utd and their arsehole boisterous thugs coming up here and rinsing us for SJP being a library.

Let’s all get together on this, realise the seriousness of the situation ahead, and make sure the right action is taken. 

36 minutes ago, Heron said:

Great post.

Thomas from the flags has an increasingly good relationship not only with the club but with the NUST of which he was a part of and also various other fan led organisations.

Similar discussions have been had within our WhatsApp on numerous occasions and likewise happened after the final, and I think this is something we will be looking to discuss with the club, even just to give our opinion of what we think would work. However, it's important the club canvas opinion from the whole, match going fanbase primarily with a view to perhaps extending that afterwards. Fans such as your good selves.

The flags are keen to not be seen as "the voice of the fans" as that has never been ohr intention. However, as people trying to make and improve the atmosphere it'd be nice to be part of the discussion. :thup:

I would be quite comfortable with WF being seen as the voice of the fans, to be honest mate. Really glad to hear that this issue is something that is being brought up though. I think Wembley has just turned the dial up on how bad things have become tbh.

Not gonna lie, I cancelled my NUST membership a while ago as I thought they had no credibility, especially after the fan share fantasy. I will now re-engage though and might send a few emails of my own.

27 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It’s starting to look increasingly clear that a lot of the people who we want back in SJP….but are currently locked out….were at least down in London in the bars and at Trafalgar Square. That’s very encouraging to me as it shows that none of these people have simply walked away from football for good.

Well, I can only speak for myself and I am one of them. I have seen estimates that up to 100k toon fans were in London so it makes sense. I had no chance of a ticket but just had to be there to experience it. I know on my train back Sunday morning there were quite a few people who had done the same as me. I spoke to a few and they were all gutted to not be going to the match but were glad to feel that connection to the club and pride again. I also mentioned in another thread that there were seven of my mates who are proper old school mags been going for decades who were down and set the pubs ablaze pre match but had to watch the game in a boozer. I can probably count in double figures the number of people I know who sacked it off when Ashley killed everything we know and love about this club who are actively trying to get back in amongst it. Hell I am even having thoughts of getting my ST back.

Edited by pedro111

Just now, Wandy said:

I would be quite comfortable with WF being seen as the voice of the fans, to be honest mate. Really glad to hear that this issue is something that is being brought up though. I think Wembley has just turned the dial up on how bad things have become tbh.

Not gonna lie, I cancelled my NUST membership a while ago as I thought they had no credibility, especially after the fan share fantasy. I will now re-engage though and might send a few emails of my own.

I do think the NUST is the best channel to take with regards to individual fan activism if you like. However, that's not to say we won't try and voice the same concerns that we also share. :thup:

I've mentioned it today and I think we'll be following up this next week with some more informal discussion via our contacts. Will let yous know if anything comes of it.

49 minutes ago, christ said:

Honestly man. It was just after he renamed the stadium. I rocked up to the match and one of the lads who sat the row in front asked if I’d mind holding up a banner at kick off. Aye, no problem. Didn’t ask what was on it.

Fortunately you could only see my knuckles on the photo that someone took.

EDIT: Found it

image.thumb.jpeg.6402a9c6f875bdbe01021e7cfb1e66a5.jpeg

Was wondering what game that was at so had a hunt. Was from Peterborough (H) in the Hughton Championship season. A quick look at the .com report:

"Attendance: 43,067 including 2,600 visiting fans. Mike Ashley was in his usual Directors Box seat.

Before kickoff, a presentation was made on the pitch to Magpies physio Derek Wright, marking 25 years of service to the club. And with this being the weekend of Remembrance Sunday, both teams took part in a pre-match minute's silence in memory of the victims of conflict. 

Protest was the order of the day, with the largest show of anti-Ashley feeling since the Hull City home game of September 2008 (which followed confirmation of Kevin Keegan's departure as manager).

The pre-game demonstration outside Old Milburn Reception was smaller than on that occasion, but inside the ground the mood was more volatile than at any time previously. Stewards intervened to force the removal of banners in the Strawberry Corner, Gallowgate End Lower and Leazes Corner Level Seven sections.

Slogans displayed: "Ashley Out" "NOT WANTED @ ST.JAMES' PARK", "St.Robson, St.Shearer, St.James" and "Fat Cockney Rapist". 

The unfurling of the latter caused most reaction from police, stewards and fans - with supporters split between those who thought it an apt description of the owner's behaviour towards NUFC. Others meanwhile - including ourselves - took exception to the terminology, if not the sentiment.

From what we could see, stewards looked to be taking notes of seat numbers in the vicinity of the protests. It remains to be seen what - if any - action is directed towards those fans, but we're concerned about the interpretation of "involvement" here: if someone unfurls a banner in your vicinity, are you automatically presumed to be a part of the protest?

Vocally, the support at 0-0 was tremendous and originated from home fans themselves, rather than being provoked by the travelling contingent - as has been the case in some games. Encouragement to the team and abuse of the owner was pegged at roughly 50/50, with a large shout of "Stand up for St.James' Park" echoing round just before the first goal - strongly supported behind both goals, but less so elsewhere.

At 2-0 up the first banners started appearing and if anything the "get out of our club" refrains grew louder - more fans presumably feeling confident at protesting with the home side totally dominating proceedings. 

PS: it could be argued that the current security arrangements at SJP contributed to the problems inside the ground on Saturday, with the reduced stewarding and automatic ticketing allowing fans to take banners in. 

Contrast that to a number of away grounds this season - notably The Hawthorns on opening day - where similarly-sized items were confiscated from Newcastle supporters queuing to gain admission.
"

12 minutes ago, jack j said:

That's me in the green polo next to the lad holding the end of the banner on the rapist side haha

11 minutes ago, christ said:

Think I was behind the S or H in Ashley.

Flag snitches, tellin' all their business, sit in the court and be their own star witness.

"Do you see the perpetrator?"

"Yeah I'm right here!"

Fuck around get L7 ruled out for years.

3 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Well, I can only speak for myself and I am one of them. I have seen estimates that up to 100k toon fans were in London so it makes sense. I had no chance of a ticket but just had to be there to experience it. I know on my train back Sunday morning there were quite a few people who had done the same as me. I spoke to a few and they were all gutted to not be going to the match but were glad to feel that connection to the club and pride again. I also mentioned in another thread that there were seven of my mates who are proper old school mags been going for decades who were down and set the pubs ablaze pre match but had to watch the game in a boozer. I can probably count in double figures the number of people I know who sacked it off when Ashley killed everything we know and love about this club who are actively trying to get back in amongst it. Hell I am even having thoughts of getting my ST back.

We simply have got to get these people back inside SJP man.

My mate was one of them that went down without a ticket too. He also cannot get his ST back. He was lucky enough to be gifted a Wembley ticket at the last minute though. He is as ferociously critical of the current SJP matchday atmosphere as me. His verdict on Sunday was that the pre-match 10 minutes were as good as he has ever heard but after that it was completely flat. He did say that the two goals completely deflated everyone though.

6 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Agree with this I was lucky enough to end up in club Wembley and far from being full of the prawn sandwich brigade, it was full of older lads who’d clearly had to resort to paying through the nose.

As I mentioned in the match thread the Blaydon Races went up in one of the posh bars pre match and was the only time I heard it all day apart from in the Wetherspoons on Baker Street beforehand.

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

Agree with this I was lucky enough to end up in club Wembley and far from being full of the prawn sandwich brigade, it was full of older lads who’d clearly had to resort to paying through the nose.

As I mentioned in the match thread the Blaydon Races went up in one of the posh bars pre match and was the only time I heard it all day apart from in the Wetherspoons on Baker Street beforehand.

It's actually criminal when you think about it. And no, I didn't start a rendition myself so I'm as much to blame tbf.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and try and think up some ideas myself to try and give this legs as Sunday really brought this to the fore.

Just now, NE27 said:

It's actually criminal when you think about it. And no, I didn't start a rendition myself so I'm as much to blame tbf.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and try and think up some ideas myself to try and give this legs as Sunday really brought this to the fore.

Without a doubt it’s like the scousers ditching you’ll never walk alone or city ditching blue moon, I just can’t understand it especially when we’re struggling for songs at the minute.

The Geordie boot boys got an airing on Sunday in Wembley which was great, but songs like Howay The Lads are so simple and unique to us it’s so sad we don’t sing them anymore.

@Heron is the embodiment of how every fan on this forum feels about this football club and this city. Speaking for myself I can say that he has the balls and wherewithal to really make a difference. Something I could only dream of. I know he has said that he will put in a word (and that's great) and that he wants to focus on wor flags but in my opinion the flags and atmosphere go hand in hand. His experience and knowledge of dealing with the club and his all round passion for NUFC is unmatched and could be key if he were to take some kind of a formal lead role in any plans going forward. I realise that it is easy for me to say this and that he is probably sick of all the effort but the man's a star and there is no one better.

Edited by pedro111

36 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I've just emailed the Trust again actually re ideas 

3 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

@Heron is the embodiment of how every fan on this forum feels about this football club and this city. Speaking for myself I can say that he has the balls and wherewithal to really make a difference. Something I could only dream of. I know he has said that he will put in a word (and that's great) and that he wants to focus on wor flags but in my opinion the flags and atmosphere go hand in hand. His experience and knowledge of dealing with the club and his all round passion for NUFC is unmatched and could be key if he were to take some kind of a formal lead role in any plans going forward. I realise that it is easy for me to say this and that he is probably sick of all the effort but the man's a star and there is no one better.

Very much agree. To be honest, the flags on Sunday were truly incredible and I felt such pride watching them in the boozer. If we can get the noise back to match the level of the displays we will be in a really great place as a fanbase.

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Very much agree. To be honest, the flags on Sunday were truly incredible and I felt such pride watching them in the boozer. If we can get the noise back to match the level of the displays we will be in a really great place as a fanbase.

100% this.

I don't think its as bad as people think. Compared to anything in contemporary times it isn't.

If you watch other matches with the same critical eye as you put on our own you'd see that.

Liverpool v Real Madrid in the CL last week wasn't even average SJP standards and Wales v England in the rugby, a massive game, even the commentators talked about how it wasn't very loud.

Check Man City out this weekend,

Compared to the 90s and earlier everywhere is worse now. Its sad but we shouldn't beat ourselves up over such a concept. The times have changed, for the worse, most things in football have but that was the case 20years ago too. I've just moved on personally and accepting various elements for what it is. Its like not enjoying ASM because he cant lace Ginola's boots.

Not to say I'm not all for improving it. But its never coming back to that level. Nor is Anfield whatever you do or anywhere else.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Just now, Wolfcastle said:

I don't think its as bad as people think. Compared to anything in contemporary times it isn't.

If you watch other matches with the same critical eye as you put on our own you'd see that.

Liverpool v Real Madrid in the CL last week wasn't even average SJP standards and Wales v England in the rugby, a massive game, even the commentators talked about how it wasn't very loud.

Compared to the 90s and earlier everywhere is worse now. Its sad but we shouldn't beat ourselves up over such a concept.

All for improving it. But its never coming back to that level. Nor is Anfield whatever you do or anywhere else.

Hard to judge simply by watching on TV. Many a time I've been at the match and thought the atmosphere was canny only to watch it back over on TV and for it to come over flat as a fart.

2 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Compared to the 90s and earlier everywhere is worse now. Its sad but we shouldn't beat ourselves up over such a concept.

All for improving it. But it’s never coming back to that level. Nor is Anfield whatever you do or anywhere else.

Hear what you are saying, but just because almost everywhere is dreadful doesn’t mean that we should accept it. We can get it to at least 75% as good as it was just 20 years ago. And it’s already been pointed out that there is still an excellent atmosphere at places like Elland Road, City Ground and even Old Trafford.

9 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Compared to the 90s and earlier everywhere is worse now. Its sad but we shouldn't beat ourselves up over such a concept. The times have changed, for the worse, most things in football have but that was the case 20years ago too. I've just moved on personally and accepting various elements for what it is. Its like not enjoying ASM because he cant lace Ginola's boots.

Not to say I'm not all for improving it. But its never coming back to that level. Nor is Anfield whatever you do or anywhere else.

For the big games the scousers still create a good atmosphere at Anfield. The Kop will usually stand for the full match and if you compare it to our equivalent big match at home this season Southampton, I think anfield would win hands down at the minute.

Elland Road still has a bristling atmosphere in the South Stand we can have something similar, though it may not be like past years it has to be better than currently.

8 hours ago, Big River said:

bit hypocritical though, considering TOON is the only thing that makes it unique to us :lol: done properly I think it could be quite good. a bit Valerenga if it was slower and properly timed.

I honestly don't know what the solution is. I know Arsenal worked with a fan group to take steps in improving the atmosphere, and it seems to have helped. can anyone who was down at the Emirates this season confirm? there's an article about it here: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21144366/arsenal-emirates-atmosphere-pints-anthem/

Yes - I always thought of Arsenal fans as being shit and was surprised by the atmosphere there. It was actually so loud m that it made it difficult for us to get the away end going cos they’d drown us out a lot of the time. 

8 hours ago, Bellis80 said:

Moving the away fans downstairs would be the only thing that would make a difference for me and can’t see that being an option or anyone wanting it.

i always thought the saving grace when it’s quiet at ours is you can’t hear the away fans. I’d rather have a quiet atmosphere than a loud one supporting the away team.

im not convinced it’d spring the home fans into action - when we’re loud away it rarely encourages the home fans, it just means geordie voices dominate 

This is quite an interesting read, this thread. Fwiw at Wembley the Man United fans around me in the mixed zone basically said their fans were shite in comparison to our support. One had a grandad (who passed away) who was a Geordie and he was a bit in tears watching our flags and support.