Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

22 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Probably because they get bored of singing one of six songs all game every game. I know I do. 

Aye a get that. But when the majority are willing to participate for a change then we are best off just going with the same six rather than a few trying to dilute it in the corner with oh we're the geordies or summit knowing nobody else will join in

2 hours ago, Sima said:

Just watched the highlights again and the celebration for Wilson's goal is more muted than Bruno's.

Few I spoke to in pubs after and on the metro back thought he was off so it's a common theme.

Yeah those kind of goals are always weirdly subdued now. I never properly celebrate if I think there's a chance he might be off. 

There was a ridiculousness to immediately getting a fourth after such a nervous game I think which sent people over the edge. I pretty much lost the plot at that point.

I think I celebrated Wilson's goal more when they kicked off knowing it wasn't getting VAR'd :lol: 

By the way, when the whole Gallowgate is standing like it was for the final 5 last night is incredible. I know it's fairly rare but I wish we'd do it more for the bigger games but all game rather than for 10 minutes.

5 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

I think I celebrated Wilson's goal more when they kicked off knowing it wasn't getting VAR'd :lol: 

Same here. Me and the lad beside me started hugging. Nearly felt like fucking crying. Right emotional fucker thesedays at the match

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

Same here. Me and the lad beside me started hugging. Nearly felt like fucking crying. Right emotional fucker thesedays at the match

Save it for Monday mate, although I can't like I was a little emotional when Bruno scored. So, so close to achieving something I never thought possible in my life.

For those watching on Bein, it was a beautiful moment when the commentator almost instantly confined the VAR check was done and the goal stood as the celebrations were going on. Little to no delay. 

4 hours ago, Sima said:

Same, barely celebrated it.  

Man, fuck VAR and taking an element of celebration of what could go down as an iconic moment. Used to be one glance to the linesman and you knew to go mental or not.

Really shit isn't it. Like you say, sure that's why Wilson was relatively subdued in his celebration. One of the biggest moments in our recent history and I didn't really believe it was happening.

Yeah, I just stayed still for that goal because I assumed it was going to be ruled out. 

I saw the little check with the linesman by a player soon after, so I guess it would count. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I'm glad it was a good atmosphere. On the TV it sounded dead at times especially first half. You could hear the players shouting like it was a friendly or something. Once we get the atmosphere sorted out we will be unstoppable! 

13 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Agree with this.

Funnily enough, I’ve been trying to work out a chant to the tune chorus of Cushie Butterfield for ages!

we had one - “he’s a great lad, he’s a canny lad, he’s a sight for sore eyes, we’ve got Kevin keegan signed for the magpies”

just replace KK with a current player 

10 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Save it for Monday mate, although I can't like I was a little emotional when Bruno scored. So, so close to achieving something I never thought possible in my life.

Yes, all those Champions League nights were great, and soon they will be back !!!

3 hours ago, samptime29 said:

Atmosphere sounded really good on TV. Especially the 4th. That was super loud pop.

The 4th was pandemonium like. Absolute jubilation.

You know it’s a good atmosphere when there’s a smattering of singing on the concourse at HT in the East.

On 19/05/2023 at 09:50, Chicken Dancer said:

I’ve always wondered how Man Utd & Liverpool have such a creative and extensive songbook. Like how do they get them universally sang consistently throughout their fanbase?

We should sing some of the Geordie folk songs imo. The end of Big River and parts of I’m coming home Newcastle should be incorporated into the songbook but how to do it is the question. 

I might be wrong but I think what helped with Liverpool in recent years is they have/had a city centre venue that Jamie Webster played at. I’m sure he’s the one who started their version of ‘allez allez allez’ the Van Dijk song.

Would be good, as it’s been mooted, if we could create a fan park sort of thing in Strawberry place or somewhere else. Get a young local lad with a guitar and songs will be born.

But aye, last night was class. Emotional if owt else.

As someone else has said Liverpool have Jamie Webster who I think wrote that Allez allez song and does gigs regularly with fans.

Man U have Pete Boyle who I think comes up with loads of songs and he’s always in the Bishops Blaize pub pre match for a sing along.

Their new songs seem to go viral and catch on quickly.

Success definitely helps but we could do with somebody creative to come up with some catchy songs and maybe a designated bar where the more vocal fans gather pre match. It’s difficult in town where everywhere is usually rammed pre-match, but it all comes back to fan culture, could it possibly be linked to wor flags and pre match gatherings in a certain bar.

Newcastle Arms used to be class for a pre-match sing a long back in the day and it’s near the ground, not sure what it’s like in there these days before the game.

Wonder bar gets a raucous crowd in but it’s all a bit generic and Mad Mick led.

Edited by Whitley mag

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

Anyone else praying the stadium DJ doesn’t ruin it on Monday night with something daft at the end of the match like champs league anthem?

You know it's almost a given already though don't you?

It'll totally ruin the evening if he does mind.

8 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Anyone else praying the stadium DJ doesn’t ruin it on Monday night with something daft at the end of the match like champs league anthem?

7 minutes ago, NE27 said:

You know it's almost a given already though don't you?

It'll totally ruin the evening if he does mind.

Why would it ruin the night?

Tomorrow is likely to be the most special night in years at SJP, this season has been incredible with a manager who has created a united team.

Lets not worry about DJ, lets just focus on the 90 mins. Be fucking heard. HWTL

10 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Why would it ruin the night?

Because I want to be able to enjoy the achievements of the season and show appreciation to the players and management without music fucking obliterating my ear drums tbh.

His input has not been conducive to any form of atmosphere this season. I'd rather hear the CL anthem at an actual CL match. 

Seems really tinpot otherwise.