Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

7 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Why can’t the DJ just read / announce  the names normally, play his music when the teams are warming up, then turn it off when they go back in? Put the emphasis on the fans to make the noise before the teams come back out and after the final whistle... Just let things breathe ffs, surely it’s universally agreed an organic atmosphere led by the fans is better than a forced, music driven one? 

Absolutely but you run the risk of it falling deadly silent like that Bournemouth game 

15 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Why can’t the DJ just read / announce  the names normally, play his music when the teams are warming up, then turn it off when they go back in? Put the emphasis on the fans to make the noise before the teams come back out and after the final whistle... Just let things breathe ffs, surely it’s universally agreed an organic atmosphere led by the fans is better than a forced, music driven one? 

This kind of happened before Arsenal(?) this season because the speakers seemed to be buggered. It's really puzzling why everything has to be so loud. The fans should drown out the music, not the other way round. 

Have the announcer's mic on full-blast by all means, but keep the music low/off for that last 5 minutes before kick-off. 

51 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Absolutely but you run the risk of it falling deadly silent like that Bournemouth game 

Then so be it. That can change over time, organically, if it sticks out like a sore thumb. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Surely no half time pint of piss in a paper cup is worth potentially missing a goal as big as Burn’s?

I understand catching the last train or whatever, but I wouldn’t trade those two late goals for much else.

I stay about 10 minutes after the final whistle these days, just to soak it in and celebrate. Mad seeing people running for the exits when you've just beaten Brighton in a crucial game. 

FWIW I do understand if there is literally no other way to get home, but it seems like a lot of people. 

2 hours ago, Pilko said:

Nothing will ever be nearly as shit as him reading fucking poetry at half time.

Jesus, I'd forgotten all about that.  

Some twee shit about being on your hands and knees trudging through clarts in the north or something.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I stay about 10 minutes after the final whistle these days, just to soak it in and celebrate. Mad seeing people running for the exits when you've just beaten Brighton in a crucial game. 

FWIW I do understand if there is literally no other way to get home, but it seems like a lot of people. 

We must be like Sunderland where none of their fans actually live in Sunderland....

I agree if you're commuting back to the midlands I can understand why on an evening game you might want to get a head start but surely 90% of match goers live within a few miles of SJP. That post match pint in the Bulls tastes better if you've not missed half our goals...

On 24/04/2023 at 00:09, LFEE said:

Had an interesting conversation for ambiguity only with our flag wavers.

Basically the club are approx 4th in priority when controlling our match day build up. EPL and Sponsers and broadcasters lead the way in the musical build up including what is played and when and for how long. Plan to challenge this with the NUST at next meeting but in all honesty it’s all totally believable when explained.

For those on the same page regarding reduction in music/volume it has been requested but out of “his” hands.

Thought I’d re-post this for the 3rd time 🙂 @NEEJ. @timnufc22  FYI

Edited by LFEE

Wonder if many will move from strawberry corner due to safe standing? Really need only people who are up for it in there.

Still wishing we had one in Leazes as well. Only if club could grouo general sale tickets qhd allpw some more seat moves...

I'm probably in the minority here but I thought the atmosphere was fairly flat yesterday. Maybe the whole thing was just a bit tense, but overall, I felt the Brighton game was probably better tbh.

7 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I thought the atmosphere was fairly flat yesterday. Maybe the whole thing was just a bit tense, but overall, I felt the Brighton game was probably better tbh.

It felt that way on the tv. At least during the game, but I think the way Leicester were playing and the missed chances definitely played a part. 

11 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

There was canny few people near me who i have never seen all season. Thought man united, arsenal and brighton were better atmospheres tbf.

16 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

Wonder if many will move from strawberry corner due to safe standing? Really need only people who are up for it in there.

Still wishing we had one in Leazes as well. Only if club could grouo general sale tickets qhd allpw some more seat moves...

We were in Row T in the Gallowgate Upper in Monday night (2nd row from the back) and there's probably around 300/400 who stand continuously up there. Also noticed more people now appear to stand in the Strawberry Corner these days as well. The amount of people who now stand in the Gallowgate Upper combined with those who already stand in the SC could probably fill the entire corner as it is and that's before you consider the amount of people in other parts of the ground who would prefer to stand.

Hopefully the corner is just the start of a bigger standing project.

12 hours ago, Minhosa said:

Fully agree with this, I was disappointed as thought it could be one of the best I’ve been to. Thought even Southampton was better in the second half.

After the game was great though.

I think we need to realise that what happens on the pitch and the circumstances of the game are always going to be the biggest factor in the atmosphere. Just don't think it's realistic for everyone to be incredibly nervous, the team grinding out a draw, but the crowd are consistently loud. 

10 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

We were in Row T in the Gallowgate Upper in Monday night (2nd row from the back) and there's probably around 300/400 who stand continuously up there. Also noticed more people now appear to stand in the Strawberry Corner these days as well. The amount of people who now stand in the Gallowgate Upper combined with those who already stand in the SC could probably fill the entire corner as it is and that's before you consider the amount of people in other parts of the ground who would prefer to stand.

Hopefully the corner is just the start of a bigger standing project.

Yep demand will be bigger which is good. Just wish there was one in leazes..

Be interesting what thsy say when renewals happen

I don’t actually mind him, it’s just little things like that. :lol:

When watching the Mackems the other week you’d think their PA gadgie worked in the WWE or something, glad we don’t have some nacka shouting on.