Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We've literally got Botman/Batman. What's wrong with just 'nananananana Botman, Botman, etc' when he makes a good tackle or something. Would be easy as owt to get going. 

Do the Botman 
Don't ya slip, let your feet glide now.
If ya got the groove, ya gotta use it.
Light rhythm in time with the music.
You just might start a chain reaction.
If you can do the Bot, you're bad like Michael Jackson

People whinging about songs being adopted from other teams songs. Honestly? The entirety of football songs are based off popular music/music halls/nursery rhymes and the like. Nothing is original and that’s fine. 

Away end was spectacular yesterday like. Coloccini, Jonas, Cabaye songs all got sung too. Even bloody Lovenkrands song got rolled out. Noisy, constant and loud as fuck. Fantastic craic. 

7 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

People whinging about songs being adopted from other teams songs. Honestly? The entirety of football songs are based off popular music/music halls/nursery rhymes and the like. Nothing is original and that’s fine. 

Away end was spectacular yesterday like. Coloccini, Jonas, Cabaye songs all got sung too. Even bloody Lovenkrands song got rolled out. Noisy, constant and loud as fuck. Fantastic craic. 

Football fans need to be Phil Spector.

14 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

I just think lifting songs for Richarlison, Mane, etc is a bit wank. Just my opinion. You hear Man Utd and Liverpool fans come out with original songs consistently. We copy them. 

34 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

Blame me for cabaye, lovenkrands songs etc..get soms queer looks for singing them sometimes but great to change it up from usual. Also a classic in if ya proud to be a geordie clap ya hands

Edited by NUFC91

12 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

Blame me for cabaye, lovenkrands songs etc..get soms queer looks for singing them sometimes but great to change it up from usual. Also a classic in if ya proud to be a geordie clap ya hands

Those are mint though and should happen more often (though Albert and Robert should also get an airing). 

Changing our old songs to match current players if it fits, Fabien Schar could easily have that chant now. It's ripping off other clubs I don't like. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

On 28/05/2023 at 12:15, maybe_next_year said:

People talk about English clubs as having a poor atmosphere compared to European clubs a lot of the time but I think that is due to how it is manufactured in Europe by well organised ultra groups, who keep singing throughout the match. 

Personally, I much prefer the ebb and flows of the atmosphere in English stadiums. There is something to be said for nervy silences. 

I know quite a lot of people complain about the atmosphere at SJP (and have for years) and certainly under Ashley they had a point. However, compared to most other grounds across England I'd still stay we're in a different league in terms of raw atmosphere. 

This is the choice basically. Same in MLS, people going mental but they’re just copying European ultras with drums and megaphones etc. 

Pros and cons to both I guess. 

I definitely think a fanzone will help with creating original chants.

Even if we could have a dedicated bar large enough in town pre-match. Hoy some lad with a guitar on stage and chants will start, ala Jamie Webster who I think started the Van Dijk and the 'Allez, Allez, Allez' chant (I know that isn't original as such).

Was gutted I sold my ticket for Sunday in the end :lol: Looked/sounded class. Some of the away ends this season I've been in have been mint like, although I was sick of the relentless 'We've got Bruno in the middle' chant in winter!

19 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

although I was sick of the relentless 'We've got Bruno in the middle' chant in winter!

Been replaced by that Gordon going to Madrid shite

Thank fuck the seasons owa be praying for Bruno in the middle back if I needed to listen to that again

Tbf any song will spread in sung enough..its just about getting more of same folk together....if we kept singing howay the lads howay it would easily echo round.

Edited by NUFC91

41 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Tbf any song will spread in sung enough..its just about getting more of same folk together....if we kept singing howay the lads howay it would easily echo round.

Such a good and under utilised chant 

29 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

When was the last time "N and an E..." was sang? We've got plenty simple ones that have been sang for years that we rarely hear anymore. 

Heard it on the tube on Sunday but can't remember last time I heard it inside either SJP or an away ground. Shame really.

That away end on Sunday was brilliant. Continuous noise from start to finish and beyond. Was looking forward to it all week as a celebratory atmosphere and it didn't let me down!!

One of the stewards at halftime said it's the best atmosphere he has witnessed at a match.

On 29/05/2023 at 01:40, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm sure there's songs from the likes of Knopfler, Sam Fender, we could make something original from and make our own. 

Surely there's one or two of those Fender numbers ripe for a chant, the one's with the oh oh oh oh oh choruses

Oh oh oh oh oh Big Joe

Oh oh oh oh oh Bru-no 

Oh oh oh oh oh Szobo

Hypersonic missiles

that type of malarkey

52 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

That away end on Sunday was brilliant. Continuous noise from start to finish and beyond. Was looking forward to it all week as a celebratory atmosphere and it didn't let me down!!

One of the stewards at halftime said it's the best atmosphere he has witnessed at a match.

It's one of the most continuously loud crowds I can remember hearing on TV. Probably a fair few people who turned it on and thought Stamford Bridge had a great atmosphere.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

When was the last time "N and an E..." was sang? We've got plenty simple ones that have been sang for years that we rarely hear anymore. 

Been sang at pretty much every home and away game this season.