Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

1 minute ago, astraguy said:

whats the aveage you need to go through? 9 points?

9 was the lowest 2nd place finisher last year (Dortmund). Three teams went through with 10 points. The average was 11.375 as there were a few groups dominated by two teams.

Two years ago the average was 9.75 and at a glance most looked more competitive.

You'd expect our group to be a lower number at this point (unless we run away with it with PSG).

DFB are inexplicably doing a US tour during the international break. Sule, Hummels, Brandt and Füllkrug all in the squad. Not ideal preparation for the resumption of club football. Hopefully some fatigue and injuries. 

Seems a bit crazy, can you imagine if England did that? There would be massive kick offs.

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Anyone been able to get anything other than a standing ticket?

@Andy P got some of the most expensive ones yesterday but think all everything other than standing went pretty sharp.

No idea what the split between standing and sitting was?

20 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Anyone been able to get anything other than a standing ticket?

Nope, was online within an hour of them going on sale yesterday and could only see the option of standing ticket or wheelchair.  Unless i just wasn't viewing it correctly (distinct possibility)

Expecting to stand anyway like, so the cheapest ticket going will do for me regardless! 

On 05/10/2023 at 17:18, timeEd32 said:

9 was the lowest 2nd place finisher last year (Dortmund). Three teams went through with 10 points. The average was 11.375 as there were a few groups dominated by two teams.

Two years ago the average was 9.75 and at a glance most looked more competitive.

You'd expect our group to be a lower number at this point (unless we run away with it with PSG).

My calculation had the average at 12.5 last year but that was including group winners

Therefore 11/12 should see you through the group.

I'd suggest that winning our remaining two home group games will see us through.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

My calculation had the average at 12.5 last year but that was including group winners

Therefore 11/12 should see you through the group.

I'd suggest that winning our remaining two home group games will see us through.

I think that's what most of us were hoping for before this UCL campaign began. If we can win our home games, we'll get through the group and that exactly how it's panning out so far. 

You'd hope that beating Dortmund at home next and then MAYBE coming away with a draw from their place will leave them out of the race entirely. They'd be on 2 points from 4 games and we'd be on 8. It's all hopeful guesswork but that would set us up nicely to qualify against Milan at home.

4 hours ago, Mazzy said:

I think that's what most of us were hoping for before this UCL campaign began. If we can win our home games, we'll get through the group and that exactly how it's panning out so far. 

You'd hope that beating Dortmund at home next and then MAYBE coming away with a draw from their place will leave them out of the race entirely. They'd be on 2 points from 4 games and we'd be on 8. It's all hopeful guesswork but that would set us up nicely to qualify against Milan at home.

Aye, I do however think that we are capable of doing the double over them.

They are the weakest of all the teams in this group, even if the coefficients don’t reflect that.

I honestly think that going into our away game with them, we should be going into that game with the aim of either securing our place in the next round (depending on other results), or making it virtually a formality.

4 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Yeah, 4 points against Dortmund would pretty much guarantee that we finish above them becuase of the head-to-head tiebreaker. The exception is an unlikely scenario where Milan also end up at 8 points. In that case Dortmund can beat our goal difference in the games between the 3 teams, because points and goal difference from the Milan games against us and Dortmund will be factored into the tiebreaker aswell.

Edited by Erikse

Is anyone still looking for a Hotel in Dortmund for the champions league match ??

I'm a Toon supporter living in Germany and have booked a double room in the Intercity Hotel in town just opposite the train station, hoping to get tickets via Borussia Dortmund......

which isn't gonna happen cos they are already sold out. So if anyone out there wants my room ( breakfast included ) they can have it for 100 quid ( cost me 138 euros ). just let me know :)

On 13/10/2023 at 18:42, Miggys First Goal said:

Milan should be booted out of the competition for selling dodgy players.

Was just thinking that , surely they and maybe other Italian clubs may also forfeit their places as part of the Italian FA investigation .

1 minute ago, wyn davies said:

Was just thinking that , surely they and maybe other Italian clubs may also forfeit their places as part of the Italian FA investigation .

I think we all know the chances of that happening…

1 hour ago, wyn davies said:

Juventus already have this season.

On 13/10/2023 at 18:42, Miggys First Goal said:

Milan should be booted out of the competition for selling dodgy players.

Going to be quite a toxic atmosphere when we play them at St James, I hope they are ready for a scrap.