Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Missed your post - the problem is that you need regular Stan to get Stan Sport.  So it is more than $15/month

Then we also need optus sport as well for premier League, and Kayo for league cup. Disney,Netflix, binge or Amazon if we want to watch something that's decent non footballing.

Streaming has gone from being a great solution to piracy to causing it to make a return again unfortunately.

1 hour ago, wiseman said:

Then we also need optus sport as well for premier League, and Kayo for league cup. Disney,Netflix, binge or Amazon if we want to watch something that's decent non footballing.

Streaming has gone from being a great solution to piracy to causing it to make a return again unfortunately.

Yep, and it paints clear the lie that competition reduces costs to the consumer.  Paramount plus has the FA Cup too!

11 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm feeling the same pain here in Australia.  I subscribe to Optus Sport for $10 per month (about five quid) - this gives me all PL matches live.  But they don't have the CL - Stan Sport does.  So that means $21 per month for Stan + $15 per month for Stan Sports.  Watching the CL is effectively costing three and a half times what it does to watch every single PL match.  Thieving kernts.

You're paying $21 a month for Stan?!

It's a while off but is anybody else looking at home end for PSG away? Depending on ID checks etc it's likely to be me and the old man's only option.

They appear to have their own official version of a StubHub system where fans (both ST holders and those with individual tickets) can sell tickets for hugely inflated prices - which PSG then again takes commission. Pretty shitty and some of the prices are insane. However I've noted by following their website that tickets do tend to come down in price dramatically closer to the games - as is the case with most touting. Still looking like £100 a ticket for Dortmund tomorrow but nowhere near as bad as some of the prices in advance. It is likely to be best to hold your nerve and buy tickets on the day.

Alternative option is to try and get them when they first go on sale prior to any reselling. They have a membership system which is about £20 a year and they appear to get first dibs on CL tickets for sale. I've bit the bullet and got that - as it might help pick them up during the initial sale.

Edited by ponsaelius

11 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's a while off but is anybody else looking at home end for PSG away? Depending on ID checks etc it's likely to be me and the old man's only option.

They appear to have their own official version of a StubHub system where fans (both ST holders and those with individual tickets) can sell tickets for hugely inflated prices - which PSG then again takes commission. Pretty shitty and some of the prices are insane. However I've noted by following their website that tickets do tend to come down in price dramatically closer to the games - as is the case with most touting. Still looking like £100 a ticket for Dortmund tomorrow but nowhere near as bad as some of the prices in advance. It is likely to be best to hold your nerve and buy tickets on the day.

Alternative option is to try and get them when they first go on sale prior to any reselling. They have a membership system which is about £20 a year and they appear to get first dibs on CL tickets for sale. I've bit the bullet and got that - as it might help pick them up during the initial sale.

I’ve done their red and blue membership and checked when tickets went on sale for the Dortmund and AC Milan games. Queued for about an hour but the prices were quite reasonable in the end compared to the hub.

Apparently over 10k tickets per game are resold on the hub. Prices for tomorrows game are half what they were a week ago.

47 minutes ago, Decky said:

Thank God you can book hotels and pay when you get there with free cancellation. Flight is only 60 quid at the minute so would love to know if I'm going soon like. 

How many points you got?

New Swiss Ramble post today that focuses on how NUFC get punished for being European "newbies" in terms of Champions League revenue.

We are guaranteed €30M (€15.6M participation, €9.8M TV pool, and €4.5M coefficient) before a ball is kicked compared to €67M for Man City, €57M for Man United, and €56M for Arsenal. We added €930k with yesterday's draw. 

21 minutes ago, Displayname said:

How much for a win?

€2.8M

For some horrifying context, we're guaranteed at least twice as much from the Champions League this year than we made in outgoing sales from July 2020 to June 2023.

21 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

It's crazy, really. How the hell do they think this financial model is sustainable? Imagine if they get their way and in 20 years time we're still staring at Man City walking through everyone [emoji38]

It's changing a bit starting next season. They are combining the coefficient and TV money into a single pool. The equal share participation amount is increasing 2.5% and performance related prizes increasing 7.5%. It will still not be balanced but some progress.

8 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Does the draw yesterday help our coefficient at all? 

Yes, it looks like every point you get improves your coefficient.

Obviously won’t make any difference until next season, but we’ve got to start somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Does the draw yesterday help our coefficient at all? 

Yes, you get one coefficient point for group stage draws and two for wins (same for both Champions League and Europa League). We get four bonus points for CL group stage participation, so our club coefficient is now 5 (it was 0). 

It takes years to build it up though. Let's say we win two and draw two and that's good enough to advance and then get to a QF and lose (undoubtedly a great showing). That would be 4 (groups) + 4 (two wins) + 2 (two draws) + 4 (CL Round of 16 bonus) + 1 (advancing a round). That would give us a club coefficient of 15, which is less than the 21.94 we used for this year based on country coefficient. For context, 40.5 was the bottom of Pot 3 and 76 (Arsenal) was the bottom of Pot 2. 

The Europa League doesn't have the group or Round of 16 participation bonuses, which are significant, but the rest is the same. It's a good competition for building up the club number.