Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I just can't make up my mind about Europa. :lol:  As I keep saying I really love it as a competition, I've got some really strong memories of it feeling like the one that would finally bring us silverware. And I think it's for that reason that I don't want it to feel like a consolation or, much worse, seen as an inconvenience. It should be a pleasure to be in, and something to be celebrated, because being in Europe is class - it's not all about the bloody CL.

The bottom line is I want us to progress in 1st or 2nd of the group we're already in. But, if we do drop, I dearly hope it's not seen as uncool to suddenly be in a competition that we could actually win.

I see it as a no lose situation.  We haven't been embarrassed, we've learned loads so far. We qualify and our profile and coffers are boosted. We qualify for Europa,  we'll continue to learn and grow the profile and possibly do very well. We finish bottom, we get fewer games to give the top 4 another push. 

We are only moving forward at this stage. Neither of the 3 alternatives are going to stop that.

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Or the whole group is wide open again and if we beat PSG we go above them.

Yeah, I'm finding it hard to be upset at a result that leaves everything in doubt. Maybe we end up 4th and in that case so be it, but heading to Paris with a chance to turn the group on its head again is not a bad thing.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I see it as a no lose situation.  We haven't been embarrassed, we've learned loads so far. We qualify and our profile and coffers are boosted. We qualify for Europa,  we'll continue to learn and grow the profile and possibly do very well. We finish bottom, we get fewer games to give the top 4 another push. 

We are only moving forward at this stage. Neither of the 3 alternatives are going to stop that.

Yeah you're absolutely right. My main fear is the possible misery of people who might grumble at the so-called inconvenience of being the Europa League, should that come to pass. It's basically just an afterglow of anxiety from the Alan 'thank God we're not in Europe' Pardew days. :lol:

18 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We're in the group of death, 2 games left, and a draw at PSG and win v Milan should guarantee 3rd, could even sneak 2nd. This is a great result in the Milan/PSG game. 

15 years we've had shite, let's enjoy it man. 

Dortmund to get something at the San siro and us beating Milan at home is probably our best chance of europa like

Bit gutting after having 4 points from 2 games

Edited by jack j

5 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

PSG looked pish. They just a different side at home than away?

The stats for tonight look very similar to their 3-0 win over Milan at home. They've had between 62% and 73% possession in all four CL games so far, so they are going to dominate the ball. 

25 minutes ago, jack j said:

Dortmund to get something at the San siro and us beating Milan at home is probably our best chance of europa like

Bit gutting after having 4 points from 2 games

Yeah, at least Dortmund know they will very likely slip to third in the group if they were to lose to Milan, so will be up for it, and it's not like they are already through, although saying that, they do also have the safety net of knowing that if they beat PSG on the final day they will qualify regardless of how they get on in Milan.

Just can't see us not losing in Paris to be honest, it would be a monumental effort to get anything from the game given their home form, so definitely hoping Milan don't win next week. It would be a bit of a damp squib going from top of the group after GW2 to guaranteed 4th and a dead rubber final match, which is probably the most likely outcome now, unfortunately.

Edited by Paullow

8 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Delighted with that result. We're still fighting for this. A few weeks ago Dortmund were dead and buried and now they're top. We can still do this, but let's enjoy the ride no matter what.

Onwards and upwards.  This was never going to happen overnight. We're way ahead of schedule so there

was always going to be nights like this. After last season this was going to be a bumpy ride.  Enjoy the journey.

3 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Delighted with that result. We're still fighting for this. A few weeks ago Dortmund were dead and buried and now they're top. We can still do this, but let's enjoy the ride no matter what.

kevin-keegan-beat-them.gif

love keegan :love:

It would be such an amazing achievement for this group (in particular Eddie Howe) if we qualify for the next round. if we can get something at PSG then the SJP Milan game will be really interesting. 

Howay The lads 

Just now, Playmaker said:

kevin-keegan-beat-them.gif

love keegan :love:

It would be such an amazing achievement for this group (in particular Eddie Howe) if we qualify for the next round. if we can get something at PSG then the SJP Milan game will be really interesting. 

Howay The lads 

:lol: you know I had to restrain myself from continuing the quote. 

Totally agree - qualification now would be utterly unbelievable. And I tell you, honestly...

This group always has me believing.

12 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We draw with PSG

Milan beat Dortmund

We beat Milan

PSG draw with Dortmund 

Everyone finishes on 8 points. How the frig would they work that out if head-to-head comes first. 

That would be incredible, but it would then simply come down to overall goal difference, then goals scored.

• If more than two teams were tied, and after applying all head-to-head criteria above, a subset of teams were still tied, all head-to-head criteria above were reapplied exclusively to this subset of teams;
  • Goal difference in all group matches;
  • Goals scored in all group matches;
  • Away goals scored in all group matches;
  • Wins in all group matches;
  • Away wins in all group matches;
  • Disciplinary points (direct red card = 3 points; double yellow card = 3 points; single yellow card = 1 point);
  • UEFA club coefficient.