2023 FIFA Women's World Cup: Rubiales banned from all football-related activities for three years

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Just on the pen rule - the keeper has to have at least one foot on the line.  Earps definitely didn’t tbh. 

They check it with VAR, and it gets retaken if she didn't. So while I haven't seen a replay, I'd assume that she did.

Better side won, ref was pretty poor and lost control by not punishing time wasting. We look very slow in a few positions and struggled against Spain, Nigeria and Haiti as a result. I’ll accept Bright as being a bit slow, Russo always looks like she’s running through cement. 

49 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Felt like the ball was out of play more than in play in the last 15 min plus added time.

Felt like that throughout the 2nd half tbh. At least the myth of play acting being exclusively to the men's game has been blown apart. As I say Spain deserved their win but some of the play acting was pathetic.

7 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

giphy.gif

If you care so little is it that hard to just not post?

Like all the Rugby weirdos who turn up when the men's side gets knocked out - you can just stick to the stuff you are interested in without shitting on the stuff you're not 

I'm not sure they ever had that much momentum. They had a couple of minutes of higher intensity play after the penalty but Spain never looked in any real trouble imo. Was a strangely muted performance, but Spain were leagues ahead of anybody else they've faced this tournament and I guess they recognised that from the off.

To be fair with the exception of one or two games we were never at our best.

Injuries to our key players leading to the finals already had us on Plan B or maybe C.

One good thing is that this might make the manager think she will have another crack at it in four years time whereas she was talking about leaving after the euros.

Oh and as my niece joined Newcastle Ladies last week... we love in hope for the future!

18 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

If you care so little is it that hard to just not post?

Like all the Rugby weirdos who turn up when the men's side gets knocked out - you can just stick to the stuff you are interested in without shitting on the stuff you're not 

Erm because it just a bit of joking around, not meant too seriously. It's up to you but hey lighten up a bit :)

At least the washing up will be done now, and by god the ironing was piling up ;)

When the medals were being handed out, I liked the commentator mentioning how that creep Infantino managed to make his way down to the presentation area through all those open doors. Even by his standards it was still odd how he got himself in with the referees for their photo. 

18 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

I know it was terrible wasn't it, shame as they had done so well. Well i suppose the English football teams falling at the last hurdle strikes the ladies as it has the men. Maybe luck will turn one day.

You know they won the Euros last year right?

20 minutes ago, joeyt said:

You know they won the Euros last year right?

Yeah, but The World Cup is always the one where the country goes nuts during the mens, the expectation levels are so high.

If England's men had won the Euro's that expectation would have been even higher for the mens World Cup. Not saying winning the mens Euro's wouldn't be an massive achievement, but The World Cup really is the pinnacle of international football isn't it ? 

Imo the Women are ahead of our men by winning the Euro's obviously, i suppose the only caveat is the women's game has less good international teams compared to the mens, but you can only play and beat who's there.

And even a caveman like me would be blind not to see the women's game is coming on very fast. Whether it gets to the mens level is, i suppose is debatable. I wouldn't be surprised if it does, the barriers are well and truly down for women's football.

Edited by Bimpy474

21 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Not sure why it always has to be compared to mens football

True, but unfortunately that was inevitable as mens football has dominated sport in this country for so long. As women's football grows it'll get seen as its own entity without the comparisons, it's just how quickly it gets there imo.

Edited by Bimpy474

17 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

True, but unfortunately that was inevitable as mens football has dominated sport in this country for so long. As women's football grows it'll get seen as its own entity with the comparisons, it's just how quickly it gets there imo.

Women's football seems pretty popular now compared to a decade or so ago? It's not ever going to hit the heights of men's football in this country so don't think the comparison is necessary now or in the future

Feel you're trying to diminish it a bit by saying they're like the mens team that they choked in a final when they won the Euros last year (which you then said isn't the pinnacle as its not the World Cup but is still a brilliant achievment)

7 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Women's football seems pretty popular now compared to a decade or so ago? It's not ever going to hit the heights of men's football in this country so don't think the comparison is necessary now or in the future

Feel you're trying to diminish it a bit by saying they're like the mens team that they choked in a final when they won the Euros last year (which you then said isn't the pinnacle as its not the World Cup but is still a brilliant achievment)

i wasn't, but hey whatever you draw from it.