Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

30 minutes ago, Zero said:

IF. I sincerely hope he didn’t.

To be fair I was very surprised that he has been gambling even after the move.

You are very surprised someone with an addiction kept doing it after moving house? :lol:

1 hour ago, jackyboy said:

So he came here, knowing that he was being investigated, and continued to bet knowing full well that it was illegal??

As things stand the latest charges add weight to the idea he didn't know he was being investigated. So in that limited sense, it's actually a good thing.

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

You are very surprised someone with an addiction kept doing it after moving house? :lol:

Personally I haven't seen it as a slam dunk that he actually is addicted. It's a very easy thing to say in a situation like this. Having a therapist come out making public statements about your psychology within days of getting charged seemed a bit convenient.

BUT I'll accept whatever comes out of the investigations, and these latest charges support the idea it was compulsive behaviour. As Paul Merson said, they'll probably be able to tell pretty easily about his state of mind by looking at his historic betting patterns.

In a way it's bad news if he is, as gambling addiction is an absolute bastard to deal with, as I know one or two people on here have experience of. It'll be a long road for him.

1 hour ago, jackyboy said:

So he came here, knowing that he was being investigated, and continued to bet knowing full well that it was illegal??

The amount of people who don't seem to want to read the actual story is crazy :lol:

50 bets over the course of 2/3 months isn’t really that severe for a full on gambling addict. They’d be in a bookies betting on which fly could crawl up a wall which is often the case with all that virtual shite that does be on in the mornings.

Was he hooked in? Yeah absolutely.. but is he still at a point where he could just drop it and fill his time in other ways? I’d be fairly sure that’s the case.

How does the club keep tabs on that though?

2 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

Gambling addiction though? We'll treat that with a ban, but first let's hear from our sponsors...tons of betting companies..

The FA have no gambling sponsors though and they have little to no power to stop what clubs can display on their shirts outside of the FA cup or to stop it.  This is why their's been a whole discussion over the last years around a regulator around football because of how little regulation etc and power the FA has.  I agree it's hypocritical with how football has sold itself to gambling companies etc.  

Btw, that agreement to ban shirt sponsors on front of shirts was because of the government threatening to put laws in around it.

However in this instance they are just following their rule book which they have to.

Yeah, the example I gave was for the PL, but I am talking about both of them. It wasn't that long ago the FA was sponsored by Ladbrokes. 

Even without that I do find it weird how they're both on the same hymn sheet when it comes to 'raising awareness' and so on, but then someone falls victim to a gambling addiction and rather than treating it in the way it's presented (an addiction where support is needed etc) the rule book is a bit draconian and potentially exacerbates the problem. It feels like there's a disconnect there for me.

Edited by Kid Icarus

18 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

50 bets over the course of 2/3 months isn’t really that severe for a full on gambling addict. They’d be in a bookies betting on which fly could crawl up a wall which is often the case with all that virtual shite that does be on in the mornings.

Was he hooked in? Yeah absolutely.. but is he still at a point where he could just drop it and fill his time in other ways? I’d be fairly sure that’s the case.

How does the club keep tabs on that though?

You're right, but on the other hand they wouldn't be charging him for betting on flies... So we don't know what he has or hasn't been doing outside of football.

26 minutes ago, joeyt said:

The amount of people who don't seem to want to read the actual story is crazy :lol:

Why can't you just let people use this as an excuse to get angry for no reason again? We haven't even gotten back to 'I can't believe we're still paying him it's a disgrace' yet.

Prepare to accept that he'll be serving the maximum the fa can can dish out...then Milan will come in with a 10m offer which we'll gratefully accept, then it'll turn out that Kylo has been betting on Milan while suspended and will be banned for eternity.

Still beyond belief that someone as highly coveted as Ashworth didn't know about it

Edited by gjohnson

Looking forward to Ashworth giving us an apology in the Rose Garden for his failings in identifying Tonali’s private transactions. Get them both out for the apology and we might be able to talk James down from the ledge 

4 minutes ago, Arknor said:

When this guy comes back, if he gets a career ending injury, can we officially hate him more than michael owen?

No he doesn't deserve the hate...his stupidity has cost him playing for us, while Owen only ever wanted to be fit for England (a bit ironic given his Welsh heritage) and openly admitted he didn't want to be here in the first place. As far as I know Tonali hasn't....yet

Just now, gbandit said:

Looking forward to Ashworth giving us an apology in the Rose Garden for his failings in identifying Tonali’s private transactions. Get them both out for the apology and we might be able to talk James down from the ledge 

He'll not apologise, and will boast about how he has the best looking garden in the UK

8 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

No he doesn't deserve the hate...his stupidity has cost him playing for us, while Owen only ever wanted to be fit for England (a bit ironic given his Welsh heritage) and openly admitted he didn't want to be here in the first place. As far as I know Tonali hasn't....yet

I'm all for giving Tonali a second chance and don't dislike the guy in the slightest.

Basically stalled the club for a whole season though, so hopefully the wait will have been worth it.

Punishing a player in one thing but punished a whole club doesn't really seem fair...

surely there are better punishments like community service in Weatherspoon's or something that punishes the player but not the club.

surely theres too many gambling instances where he broke the rules? and it takes to long to investigate they should probably queue it behind mancities allegations....
can only imagine the excuses if he went somewhere else

Edited by Arknor

2 minutes ago, Arknor said:

I'm all for giving Tonali a second chance and don't dislike the guy in the slightest.

Basically stalled the club for a whole season though, so hopefully the wait will have been worth it.

He does deserve a second chance, but he's not been exactly forthcoming with with expressing regret or guilt.

I dont realistcally see him playing for use again. Fully expect him to be back at Milan by summer, or on Starkiller base killing Han Solo

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

He does deserve a second chance, but he's not been exactly forthcoming with with expressing regret or guilt.

How do you know that?

People seem determined to find a reason to really hate him

He shouldn't have been betting on football but  as has been mentioned before you're giving young lads millions of pounds and surrounding them with constant betting adverts.

As far as we know he stopped betting on football immediately after hearing he was under investigation. A young lad, moving to a new country, not knowing the language and suddenly being banned from his profession for a number of months. He's flawed just like every human but he deserves sympathy.

If he's continued to bet after the investigation or bet on games he's been involved in then I think it's a different story but the outrage people seem determined to level towards him seems completely unnecessary at this stage

9 minutes ago, joeyt said:

How do you know that?

The total absence of public statements. I assume he's not talking about what's happened to Eddie Howe's face or whatever.

I accept there are possible reasons for not being able to say anything publicly - I remember someone on here making a good point a few months back but I've forgotten what it was! But it still does feel very surprising that no 'I want to apologize to the fans but I need to take some time out to deal with this and I intend to repay the faith the club have shown me' type statement never came out. It's inevitable that some people will be rubbed up the wrong way by that not happening.

Maybe he'll do it once the ban is done?

I imagine he's in a really low place now, with a lot of time on his hands.

Maybe a statement on social media or whatever would bring about a lot of negative comments from Twitter trolls or some of our "fans" which will derail his mental health further

Edited by joeyt

8 minutes ago, joeyt said:

People seem determined to find a reason to really hate him

He shouldn't have been betting on football but  as has been mentioned before you're giving young lads millions of pounds and surrounding them with constant betting adverts.

As far as we know he stopped betting on football immediately after hearing he was under investigation. A young lad, moving to a new country, not knowing the language and suddenly being banned from his profession for a number of months. He's flawed just like every human but he deserves sympathy.

If he's continued to bet after the investigation or bet on games he's been involved in then I think it's a different story but the outrage people seem determined to level towards him seems completely unnecessary at this stage

Yeah, I think most people are just frustrated with the way the season has gone and need someone to blame.

I know it's a forum, but I don't know any of his own circumstances and I'm not prepared to throw him under the bus.

Howe will know more than us and has asked us to back him, which is good enough for me.

And, sorry if this sounds naive, but with Howe sometimes you just need to trust someone who has been working his arse off to turn things around for us since day 1.

1 minute ago, TBG said:

Once STACK is up and running he should be made to get on the stage, daily, and give a public apology.

Then hoisted up in a shark cage suspended above the stage for the entire match.

Weekly 

13 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Maybe he'll do it once the ban is done?

I imagine he's in a really low place now, with a lot of time on his hands.

Maybe a statement on social media or whatever would bring about a lot of negative comments from Twitter trolls or some of our "fans" which will derail his mental health further

It's all imagination though, isn't it. So other people will imagine other things and feel differently.

29 minutes ago, 80 said:

I accept there are possible reasons for not being able to say anything publicly - I remember someone on here making a good point a few months back but I've forgotten what it was! But it still does feel very surprising that no 'I want to apologize to the fans but I need to take some time out to deal with this and I intend to repay the faith the club have shown me' type statement never came out. It's inevitable that some people will be rubbed up the wrong way by that not happening.

Apologies don't work.

There have been celebs who apologised for a tweet a decade ago, and then someone drags up the old coals again....

It's better to remain quiet and let the water flow under the bridge, owning your mistakes doesn't help in the digital age

Edited by Arknor