Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

5 minutes ago, Shearerlegend said:

We already have injury crisis.. tonali, willock and anderson injured while joelinton bruno and almiron will arrive to Newcastle only on thursday.. when you consider joelinton and almiron have knocks as well i wonder if it is a good time to play lewis hall in midfield 

Schar for me.

From: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/09/18/sandro-tomali-newcastle-champions-league-milan-return/

But there have been issues to resolve, with the Italian’s performance against Brighton and an apparent failure to understand his role in the side, exposing a language barrier problem.

In short, Tonali had failed to absorb all the necessary information from the coaching staff and seemed confused about his positional responsibilities in the centre of midfield, often playing too far forward, which left the defence exposed.

It was something that hurt the team in one of their worst collective performances for months and it was telling that Tonali did not start the home win over Brentford last weekend.

On the face of things, that was done in order to protect the 23-year-old after he picked up a slight injury problem while away on international duty last week. Keeping him on the bench on Saturday evening would also mean he was fresh for his return to face his former club in the San Siro.

However, Newcastle are also trying to work out the best way to communicate with the player admitting Tonali’s lack of English was a complication rather than just an inconvenience.

Howe had initially been reluctant to use an interpreter to convey his messages to Tonali as he believes that slows the player’s progress learning English.

But after the Brighton defeat, it became clear they needed someone to translate tactical messages, usually the day before a game, but possibly in the dressing room before a match too.

"This summer has been hard and I've had a difficult start. In the beginning I was lost. It was

not easy to find my place,

but I have found people to support me and to help me and I started to be happier. I have to thank Mr Howe and my teammates have been great."

soz I wrote that at a stop light on my bike. 😅

Edited by Weezertron

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

An Italian quote from him directly?

He pretty much said the move happened quickly and was overwhelming but he adapted quickly and everyone in newcastle has been great at supporting him and making him settle. That was about it.

Also said he had a great night in weatherspoons with his Family after the Villa game 😅