Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

5 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Whose the absolute donut of a journalist who asked Howe "does Tonali love the game?".

How does that guy have a job. I'm not sure being a reporter should even be a paid profession if that's the type of bollocks they ask.

It’s a stupid question because Howe isn’t going answer in the negative, but it shouldn’t be assumed that all footballers love the game.  David F Batty, for one, couldn’t be said to love it - but he wasn’t a bad midfielder as a result. 

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s a stupid question because Howe isn’t going answer in the negative, but it shouldn’t be assumed that all footballers love the game.  David F Batty, for one, couldn’t be said to love it - but he wasn’t a bad midfielder as a result. 

Ben White doesn't watch any football because he actually doesn't like football. Same with Carlos Tevez. Crazy.

Edited by Erikse

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Good to see that some things don’t change at NUFC, with the manager having to answer questions that other senior figures at the club really should be answering re Tonali.  

What exactly would you have them "answer"?

There's nothing public. Nobody (probably including the owners) knows the facts until the facts are established at an investigation. And even if they did speak now, the owners speaking now would prejudice any such investigation.

I get that you want news, we all do, but there's just none to give. Howe only spoke about it because he was forced to at the press conference, and even then he's just said Tonali will get lots of love and support. We still know nothing more, and nor should we.

Just now, Chris_R said:

There's nothing public. Nobody (probably including the owners) knows the facts until the facts are established at an investigation. And even if they did speak now, the owners speaking now would prejudice any such investigation.

I get that you want news, we all do, but there's just none to give. Howe only spoke about it because he was forced to at the press conference, and even then he's just said Tonali will get lots of love and support. We still know nothing more, and nor should we.

I take your point, though it would have made as much sense for the club to have an additional representative in there blocking questions re Tonali other than re selection.  

6 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

Fine art? He got us relegated twice. 

It should have been every season with the lack of investment and apparent trust in absolute fools. He got away with it so many times. Made an absolute mockery of the promoted clubs who would invest heavily.

12 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Isn't there a story that Ben White didn't know who Patrick Viera was as he never really watched football growing up?

Must be a bugger for him to mark someone " Right Ben, I want you to stick close to Anthony Gordon"......"Who boss ?"

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

The club has released a statement in support, Howe in his presser has reinforced it, don't see the issue. 

My feeling is that for fan base's forgiveness - Sandro needs to reach out to us and say sorry and he will do better. I know it sounds trite but I think an admission of guilt and an acceptance of his punishment would really cement him in our thoughts. The platitudes from Eddie and his agent are not enough - IMHO.

3 minutes ago, cannybagoftudor said:

My feeling is that for fan base's forgiveness - Sandro needs to reach out to us and say sorry and he will do better. I know it sounds trite but I think an admission of guilt and an acceptance of his punishment would really cement him in our thoughts. The platitudes from Eddie and his agent are not enough - IMHO.

Can’t see that happening until theres a ban/resolution in place. 

I don’t think forgiveness comes in until we are on the other side of this.  Let’s see how it pans out - he’ll get a lengthy ban.  If his first reaction isn’t to fly back to Italy and spend all his time there during the ban, and he shows his commitment on his return (I.e. no ‘I’m homesick’ requests to leave the club) then I’m all for full forgiveness.  Until then, it is play it by ear time.  Happy to give the lad the benefit of the doubt until then, but this has raised some serious questions about him.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t think forgiveness comes in until we are on the other side of this.  Let’s see how it pans out - he’ll get a lengthy ban.  If his first reaction isn’t to fly back to Italy and spend all his time there during the ban, and he shows his commitment on his return (I.e. no ‘I’m homesick’ requests to leave the club) then I’m all for full forgiveness.  Until then, it is play it by ear time.  Happy to give the lad the benefit of the doubt until then, but this has raised some serious questions about him.

God. After trying to be positive I just read this and realised that he also has the potensial to become one of the most hated men on Tyneside ever.[emoji38]

38 minutes ago, Erikse said:

God. After trying to be positive I just read this and realised that he also has the potensial to become one of the most hated men on Tyneside ever.[emoji38]

:) 

I still hope not - I genuinely hope in a couple of years time this thread is a non-stop love-in re our superstar no.8.  All outcomes are still on the table. 

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Great example.  It can seem odd - but some of them wouldn’t bother at all if they weren’t actually superb at playing it.  

Assou-Ekotto always said he just saw it as a job and couldn't be bothered to watch or talk about football outside of his role in the team because it was like taking work home with him. 

Eddie made the point that Sandro is young. That's something I feel I've lost sight of over the last few days. I know he's not that young by footballer standards, or young compared with many of the posters on here, but he's still young in terms of life experience and resources. It felt like a timely reminder from the great man to cut the lad a bit of slack.

He's not committed a violent crime or (it seems) done anything that's actually corrupt. His life and/or career shouldn't be ruined by this.

8 hours ago, cannybagoftudor said:

He needs to learn how to say it first, at least when he comes back from his ban he’ll be all fluent in both English and Geordie.

12 hours ago, Erikse said:

Assuming he will be out for 12 months, lets try to look at it from the hyperpositive perspective:

Lets say the spark was missing in the first months here because he had to leave Milan only due to these personal issues. Milan accepts our offer at a reasonable price, again only due to the circumstances. He gets a lot of love and support from the fans and the manager, which will give him tons of motivation to come back stronger, clear of the gambling addiction, and also wanting to repay the fans and the team + manager. In the short term it's a horrible signing in this case, but in the longer term we could end up with a hugely important player, which we possibly would never have gotten if it wasn't for this gambling issue.

This is a lot of assumptions, just trying to see it from a different perspective. Obviously not ideal regardless, but there's still hope for a best case scenario if he gets suspended.

Spot on. Could be the making of the lad as a Newcastle player. 

This situ will place AC Milan into an unrecoverable position along with  the Italian FA, further all Italian players are now going to be suspect , along with Italian transfers to clubs outside Italy well and truly collapsing, there's gonna be a massive fallout and I can see clubs elsewhere in Europe with Italian players going through them with a fine toothed combe.  Milan may as well come clean about what they knew, things are going to get very sticky, wonder if his girlfriend has thought about ditching him and what did she know.

14 hours ago, Erikse said:

Assuming he will be out for 12 months, lets try to look at it from the hyperpositive perspective:

Lets say the spark was missing in the first months here because he had to leave Milan only due to these personal issues. Milan accepts our offer at a reasonable price, again only due to the circumstances. He gets a lot of love and support from the fans and the manager, which will give him tons of motivation to come back stronger, clear of the gambling addiction, and also wanting to repay the fans and the team + manager. In the short term it's a horrible signing in this case, but in the longer term we could end up with a hugely important player, which we possibly would never have gotten if it wasn't for this gambling issue.

This is a lot of assumptions, just trying to see it from a different perspective. Obviously not ideal regardless, but there's still hope for a best case scenario if he gets suspended.

I’m sure that’s the way the cloob and Eddie will look at it. Like Big Joe, Sandro rising from his own ashes! :indi: