Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The Mail reporting that the fee for this is actually £52 million.

So thats €60m, others where reporting it was a €70m fee, maybe the €10m difference in the add-ons, and people reporting the higher fee was Milan's side trying to save face for selling their young starlet?

18 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Beardsley was the rarest of beasts that had both. If he was South American or Italian or from anywhere but Benwell he’d have got more recognition than he did. 

*Longbenton

Agree though. 

11 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Those assists numbers look made up, think it was about half that for Robert

I'm sure some places consider shots that have been tapped in from a rebound, or winning a pen as an assist. I'd not be surprised in the least if that takes him over 20. 

Might dust off the old Return of the Entertainers DVD tonight and count. :lol:

Edited by Optimistic Nut

30 minutes ago, 54 said:

So thats €60m, others where reporting it was a €70m fee, maybe the €10m difference in the add-ons, and people reporting the higher fee was Milan's side trying to save face for selling their young starlet?

Some where reporting as high as £70/€80 ?

33 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Too right. As good at tackling as he was nut-megging, scorer of worldies, creator supreme whilst having a 'water-carriers' work ethic.

As highly rated as he is, it doesn't seem enough when you think about it.

By far the best player I have ever seen in person (Beardsley). As you say, he had everything, even to the end of his career. 

17 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

By far the best player I have ever seen in person (Beardsley). As you say, he had everything, even to the end of his career. 

Week in week out also. Very rarely had anything close to an off game.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Week in week out also. Very rarely had anything close to an off game.

Think Tonali will develop a shimmy that puts defenders on the deck? I had also forgotten his total mastery of the chip shot until now - maybe that's what Murphy was trying to emulate. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

Think Tonali will develop a shimmy that puts defenders on the deck? I had also forgotten his total mastery of the chip shot until now - maybe that's what Murphy was trying to emulate. 

He deserved better pitches and better nets.

He'd be so good in the modern game, literally looks and moves like Messi at 3:46

Edited by Mountain

I think he's probably up there as one of the most underrated players of all time tbh. Whether it's Premier League, English, or just players in general, he was incredibly naturally gifted but also incredibly clever. 

He never got the plaudits he deserved even before he came out as a daft racist.

19 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

Always loved that goal against the scruffs, NYD 1985, 25 yards just passes it left footed into the bottom corner. Genius.

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Met him once at Central Station, he was with his wife. Was dead canny enough to take a photo. For context, I myself am Asian/Brown.

So I have some level of hope he was just more of an ignorant byproduct of his time rather than a hateful man. (Not excusing it, like).

Edited by Amir_9

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think he's probably up there as one of the most underrated players of all time tbh. Whether it's Premier League, English, or just players in general, he was incredibly naturally gifted but also incredibly clever. 

I like him even more now

6 hours ago, Jonas said:

When were talking about productivity I think were forgetting Ginola/Gillespie's constant supply to Ferdinand being the most prominent feature of our attacking in those days. Every time either had the ball on the flank it was a threat.

Too right. As good at tackling as he was nut-megging, scorer of worldies, creator supreme whilst having a 'water-carriers' work ethic.

As highly rated as he is, it doesn't seem enough when you think about it.

It's easy to forget Gillespie, as he was pretty much a one trick pony. Worked at the time but he'd be easily neutralised now.

HBA could do everything Ginola could do and more, but Robert had that cannon of a left that even Hatem didn't come close to.  There's not many south paws in premier league time that have come close to the power and accuracy he was capable of